Help!! S185 Bobtach Plate Removal

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

grim

Hello, I'm new here and new to owning a Bobcat (I know nothing about them). Just bought a used s185 and I'm going thru the process of cleaning, grinding, etc, as I am going to be priming and painting. I wanted to remove the bobtach plate. I've already disconnected the cylinders which manipulate the bucket. After that I took out a long bolt from each side of the arms which I though was holding the big plate on. Of course the plate remains and I cannot see for the life of me what it takes to get the plate separated from the lift arms. Any help would be appreciated. I googled and YouTubed it like crazy but can't find a solution. Thanks! Dean

skidsteer.ca

Put the big bolts back in and leave them a full 2 turns loose from finger tight.
Remove the grease nipples for the pins that the large bolts hold in.
Slap the ends of the bolts(the head) hard with a 2lb or larger hammer, driving the head back tight against the boom. Then loosen the bolts and continue to push the bolts in. Grease should be coming out the holes you removed the nipples from. You will have to push each pin in about 3" to release the pin from the arm.
Note you will need a longer bolt with the same thread in install the pins back into the loader arms. Also be sure to torque these bolts several times afteryou put the loader back into service to ensure the tapered pin has seated into the loader arm and is not working / shifting and wearing the arm out.
Ken

OP
OP
G

grim

Put the big bolts back in and leave them a full 2 turns loose from finger tight.
Remove the grease nipples for the pins that the large bolts hold in.
Slap the ends of the bolts(the head) hard with a 2lb or larger hammer, driving the head back tight against the boom. Then loosen the bolts and continue to push the bolts in. Grease should be coming out the holes you removed the nipples from. You will have to push each pin in about 3" to release the pin from the arm.
Note you will need a longer bolt with the same thread in install the pins back into the loader arms. Also be sure to torque these bolts several times afteryou put the loader back into service to ensure the tapered pin has seated into the loader arm and is not working / shifting and wearing the arm out.
Ken
YOU ARE DA MAN!~~ I tried that originally, but I was using a 20 oz Eastwing and my school of thought has always been "if it doesn't go easily, you're doing something wrong" (turns out that the side I was trying originally was a bit more stubborn than the other side which came out fairly easily with the Eastwing.) Well, now I've exposed a whole bunch more chipping and peeling powdercoat...let's add a few more days to this project! I assume I'll now have to go to my local hardware guy and get a nice LONG bolt of the same thread pattern, thread that on, and then maybe tack a reverse hammer type of deal to pull that pin back into place before I thread on the original bolt?

skidsteer.ca

YOU ARE DA MAN!~~ I tried that originally, but I was using a 20 oz Eastwing and my school of thought has always been "if it doesn't go easily, you're doing something wrong" (turns out that the side I was trying originally was a bit more stubborn than the other side which came out fairly easily with the Eastwing.) Well, now I've exposed a whole bunch more chipping and peeling powdercoat...let's add a few more days to this project! I assume I'll now have to go to my local hardware guy and get a nice LONG bolt of the same thread pattern, thread that on, and then maybe tack a reverse hammer type of deal to pull that pin back into place before I thread on the original bolt?
You will need the long bolt to pull the pin back, but use the original to seat the taper into the arm. Just be sure threads are nice and clean so you can swap the bolts once the pin is moved over.
And be sure to torque it a few times