Help My 743 Won't Start !!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

pondfishr

We finished putting all 4 axle seals in my machine and that went better than expected. Filled it up with oil and no leaks. We started the machine and it ran for 30 minutes and then just died. We found trash in the fuel filter and replaced all the lines and also a new filter. We can take the line off the t valve and it seems to be getting fuel but it won't hit. It blows it just a little white smoke when it cranks but won't start. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Still have the front lift cylinder to rebuild but we want to get it started first before we go any farther.

Tazza

Staff member
Check your bleed valve on the injector pump. Open it up, squeeze the primer bulb till you feel that its firm and you can feel it squeezing the fuel through, this way you know the system is primed. Ensure you close the bleed valve or the injector pump will not have enough fuel to deliver to the injectors. You haven't touched anything that could cause this issue.
The only other thing is the engine stop lever, it is not in the stop position? i know you had to remove it to do the axle seals, it *may* not be quite in the rite spot to let the arm fully move to the run position. Even small amounts of oil in the cylinders will make it puff white smoke, but if there is a cloud of smoke it could be your glow plugs. As you said it was running for 30 mins i don't think thats an issue!.
If not, you have my e-mail, i can try and think of more things that it could be.

OP
OP
P

pondfishr

Check your bleed valve on the injector pump. Open it up, squeeze the primer bulb till you feel that its firm and you can feel it squeezing the fuel through, this way you know the system is primed. Ensure you close the bleed valve or the injector pump will not have enough fuel to deliver to the injectors. You haven't touched anything that could cause this issue.
The only other thing is the engine stop lever, it is not in the stop position? i know you had to remove it to do the axle seals, it *may* not be quite in the rite spot to let the arm fully move to the run position. Even small amounts of oil in the cylinders will make it puff white smoke, but if there is a cloud of smoke it could be your glow plugs. As you said it was running for 30 mins i don't think thats an issue!.
If not, you have my e-mail, i can try and think of more things that it could be.
Is there any chance there is a solenoid that could be causing it not to hit? We put the last glow plug in it the one that you can't hardly get to. I had replaced the other 3 a couple of months ago. We will check the bleed valve again.

skidsteer.ca

Is there any chance there is a solenoid that could be causing it not to hit? We put the last glow plug in it the one that you can't hardly get to. I had replaced the other 3 a couple of months ago. We will check the bleed valve again.
You did test your glow plugs to be sure power is actually getting there? If its puffing smoke it should be getting fuel. Not sure what else to suggest.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
I will check that too and send out an update with progress.
There is no fuel shut off unless you installed one? If not, its still done by the pull cable next to the throttle. As you replaced your plugs, or most of them, it should still fire. It may run a little rough but it still should run. I had an engine with plugs that were that bad they would only glow at the base, the engine still fired but proceeded to conk out.

OP
OP
P

pondfishr

There is no fuel shut off unless you installed one? If not, its still done by the pull cable next to the throttle. As you replaced your plugs, or most of them, it should still fire. It may run a little rough but it still should run. I had an engine with plugs that were that bad they would only glow at the base, the engine still fired but proceeded to conk out.
The machine started today. No magic just turned the key and she fired right up. Now the front bucket has problems. It lifts up and down just fine but and will tilt forward but it will not tilt back up. Any ideas? We plan on rebuilding the cylinder anyway but what could be causing this problem. Serial Number 5019-M28626.

Tazza

Staff member
The machine started today. No magic just turned the key and she fired right up. Now the front bucket has problems. It lifts up and down just fine but and will tilt forward but it will not tilt back up. Any ideas? We plan on rebuilding the cylinder anyway but what could be causing this problem. Serial Number 5019-M28626.
There really is no reason for it to not tilt back, have you checked the usual? like linkages, rocks or mud stuck under the pedal?
Even if you have a bad seal your hydraulic flow should be more than enough to pull the cylinder and bobtach up. Do you hear the relief squeal at all when you push your heel down on the pedal?

OP
OP
P

pondfishr

There really is no reason for it to not tilt back, have you checked the usual? like linkages, rocks or mud stuck under the pedal?
Even if you have a bad seal your hydraulic flow should be more than enough to pull the cylinder and bobtach up. Do you hear the relief squeal at all when you push your heel down on the pedal?
Are there any ports or filters that could be clogged?