Help deciding on used John Deere or Bobcat purchase

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

RMK6669

Hi, I'm newbi looking to purchase my first skid steer and would appreciate any objective/solid feedback you can offer. I am in mid-west and will use machine only approx 50 to 150 hrs. per year maintaining 11 acres, and dirt bike track on acerage. I have narrowed search down to John Deer or Bobcat (based on close local dealers who seem service oriented and have good reputation). I further have narrowed down to JD 320 (2007 used) or Bobcat S185 (used 2006 or 2007). I know JD is bigger and has more HP than Bobcat (based on models I am looking at) and that's not my concern. Both will work just fine for what I will be doing. My major concerns/needing input are in order as follows: 1) Long-term reliability, 2) Cost/frequency for parts/service, 3) Dealer support, 4) Resale in future (but hope to keep very long time). I am really interested in folks who have used either/both or have experience enough to provide solid positive/negative on each (don't want to bash either brand..just good facts). Have located a JD, but not a Bobcat yet. JD details (would appreciate feedback on this also) are: 2007 320, 250 hrs., 1-yr warranty included (unlimited hrs) will come with JD (as it has only been used as demo and rented so still considered "new"), dealer will be putting on new tires, and price is $18,500 (no cab enclosure and don't want this). Thanks so much for any input you can provide to help me in which brand might be best for me.

skidsteer.ca

Never been around a Deere much in that model.
I have had a 773 G (now s175) and currently have a 06 S185. Both don't have joysticks nor would I buy a Bobcat with joystick.
They have been pretty good machines, The 773i bought with 1400 hours and it developed a had a wiring gremlin with the water temp guage that I could not resolve, must have been in the harness, as I tried a new panel and new computer to no avail. After $700 and no luck I put in a aftermarket guage and only hooked up the factory one in the winter to control the glow plugs.
I also had to reinforce the quick attach on this machine as it was bending slightly across the top making it hard to to fit into the top groove of the bucket.
It also had a broken spring in the aux hydraulics spool that made the auxilarys stick on, this fix was cheap once I found it. Overall it had been a decent machine and I sold it with 2600 hours on it and no major repairs.
The s185 only has 600 hours and so far has been perfect, definitely notice the extra 10 hp. See what its like in 2000 hours. I believe either machine would make you a good choice for no more then you intend to use it.
Ken

frogfarmer

Both machines are good machines and are not heavy on maintenance items. It would boil down to personal preference on the particular machine and the dealer support. I work for a dealer and neither machine has any real down falls that come to mind. I would not buy a Bobcat with hand controls though.

OP
OP
R

RMK6669

Both machines are good machines and are not heavy on maintenance items. It would boil down to personal preference on the particular machine and the dealer support. I work for a dealer and neither machine has any real down falls that come to mind. I would not buy a Bobcat with hand controls though.
Thanks for taking the time and providing your input. Helps me as this is a lot of money for me and I want to ensure I make good decisions. Regarding price ($18.5K with new tires and 1 yr. warranty), do you feel this is a competitive price? Thanks again

skidsteer.ca

Thanks for taking the time and providing your input. Helps me as this is a lot of money for me and I want to ensure I make good decisions. Regarding price ($18.5K with new tires and 1 yr. warranty), do you feel this is a competitive price? Thanks again
Its hard to compare pricing on machines I have not seen or am real familar with. However coming from a dealer with full warranty and new rubber, it does not sound too badly out of line. I assume it has auxilary hydraulic couplers on it (not sure if you can even delete this option any more but no skid should be without it as it severly limits what you canuse it for in the future)
Presently resale value is soft on most any construction equipment, I'm sure you could do better on a private sale but then you loose your warranty and dealer support. So if those are important to you, you have likely found a good deal already.
If your still not sure the only other thing you can do is price around more at dealers. You can also ask over at heavy equipment forum, lawnsite etc to see if anyone there has made a simular purchase lately
Ken

Treekiller66

Its hard to compare pricing on machines I have not seen or am real familar with. However coming from a dealer with full warranty and new rubber, it does not sound too badly out of line. I assume it has auxilary hydraulic couplers on it (not sure if you can even delete this option any more but no skid should be without it as it severly limits what you canuse it for in the future)
Presently resale value is soft on most any construction equipment, I'm sure you could do better on a private sale but then you loose your warranty and dealer support. So if those are important to you, you have likely found a good deal already.
If your still not sure the only other thing you can do is price around more at dealers. You can also ask over at heavy equipment forum, lawnsite etc to see if anyone there has made a simular purchase lately
Ken
Well ill give ya my 2 cents. I have several machines 3 185, some bs and a new 185, But have to say the machine i run is a 262 c cat. Joysticks on the cat. Going from the hand and foot on the new hollands to sticks on the cat had a learning curve to say the least. But as far as operator comfort and eaise of operating< sticks is the way to go. Bobcats never realy impressed me much but all i ever did was demo them. The newhollands good machine, stout handles weight well.The cat will lift far more but has a nasty habit of wanting to stand on her front wheels alot.Even with counter weights. And as far as lasting aroung 5000 hours till i see much repairs. The cat has just lost it injector pump but it does have 6250 on it. The newhollands get wheelbearings at 5000,and so does the cat cause they just plain beat out of them.And keep in mind if your buying used you have the upper hand now. So many repo machines out there with 500 to 900 hours for mid to high teens that 2 years ago where 40,000 and up. My last word would be look at a bobcat but buy something else.