Hello from Missouri

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

smallfarmer23

Thank y'all for letting me join up! I just bought an old 610 as a project to keep me busy and I may have a couple of questions along the way.

Attachments

• 6FA8697D-9E27-4809-A06C-ADA045BC57C3.jpeg
    6FA8697D-9E27-4809-A06C-ADA045BC57C3.jpeg
    604.3 KB · Views: 69

brdgbldr

Looks like a well kept machine. Don't see many of those Melroe stickers intact.

Dantalian

I've got to say that machine is one of the cleanest project 610s I've ever seen. Out here in iowa I haven't seen such a nice one that wasn't 6k or more. What's up with it?

OP
OP
S

smallfarmer23

I thought this was going to be a project machine, but it is actually not too bad. I have moved about 50 buckets of dirt and six buckets of gravel so far.

> I can find only one leak from an axle shaft, but that is it. Cylinders are dry. No issues with the hydraulics at all.
>The Wisconsin fires up good, although the starter doesn't always engage and I am not sure if that is wiring or the starter itself. The engine only strains during a heavy lift, but no power complaints.
>I noticed that turning seemed sluggish and seemed to get worse with as the machine heated up. The 610 will spin on a dime on loose gravel or slick concrete, but in dry grass or anyplace with more friction; it will not turn at all! I removed the side covers and the oil looks great ( it is definitely oil and not ATF). Chains and sprockets seem good and everything is intact. The clutches still had a cross hatched surface to them, but I replaced them while I was in there. The clutch bearings and races were nice, so they got reused. I suspect that the clutch shaft ACME threads and nuts for the forward drive are starting to wear as the control levers can "stick" in the forward position. (I imagine those are hard to come by). I thought about turning some new ACME nuts on the lathe, but decided to wait and see how they do.
>The variable speed does not leak, but it only engages halfway on the front and rear sheaves, so speed is slow. I am going to remove the driven sheave and check the bushings as I think that is what is not allowing the belt to move any further in the sheaves than it does. I can't seem to open the driven sheave with a pry bar, so I am hoping that is the issue. The drive pulley is not wet with oil, but it does have a bit of residue on it that may be causing a slipping issue (which could also add to the sluggish turning).

Anyway, that is where I am with it. I will keep posting how things work out. It is amazing to me that these older machines are still operating and working as hard as they do.

Last edited:

Latest posts