Heater fuses blows out on 2001 763g

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mickey

Hi does anyone know how to figure out why the heater fuses blows on a 763g Bobcat? It will run for 5 mins then she blows out. Any suggestions before I take it into the expensive dealer for repairs?

mrfixitpaul

Check for a pinched wire maybe behind the cab, going to the heater unit? Or maybe in the dash panel near the fan switch? It could be the fan motor going bad, too. Does the fuse blow regardless of which fan speed?

OP
OP
M

mickey

Check for a pinched wire maybe behind the cab, going to the heater unit? Or maybe in the dash panel near the fan switch? It could be the fan motor going bad, too. Does the fuse blow regardless of which fan speed?
yes it doesn't matter what speed I put it on. I thought the wind shield wiper was causing it but I did a test and disconneted that too but it still blew. Thanks Paul ... I will look around for a pinched wire. Do you think it could be the fan even though it runs when a fuse is good? How do you get to the fan? I know its under the filter. Do i just lift the cab up?

mrfixitpaul

yes it doesn't matter what speed I put it on. I thought the wind shield wiper was causing it but I did a test and disconneted that too but it still blew. Thanks Paul ... I will look around for a pinched wire. Do you think it could be the fan even though it runs when a fuse is good? How do you get to the fan? I know its under the filter. Do i just lift the cab up?
Does the same fuse run the back-up alarm? Maybe a problem there....What else is on that fuse? Getting to the fan is a little tricky....Raise the cab, there are 4 nuts holding the hvac unit in place, slide/roll the unit down and you can get at the motor.

OP
OP
M

mickey

Does the same fuse run the back-up alarm? Maybe a problem there....What else is on that fuse? Getting to the fan is a little tricky....Raise the cab, there are 4 nuts holding the hvac unit in place, slide/roll the unit down and you can get at the motor.
Paul, I think your onto something. The back alarm only works sometimes and I don't need the heat right now so I haven't replace the blown fuse from the winter time. maybe there is a pinched wire going there? I'll have to check it out.

mrfixitpaul

Paul, I think your onto something. The back alarm only works sometimes and I don't need the heat right now so I haven't replace the blown fuse from the winter time. maybe there is a pinched wire going there? I'll have to check it out.
some times the switches for the alarm on the steering linkages can get shorted by the tab that activates switch hitting terminals on other switch, just adjustment fixes that.

mrfixitpaul

some times the switches for the alarm on the steering linkages can get shorted by the tab that activates switch hitting terminals on other switch, just adjustment fixes that.
or check the wires by the tailgate, maybe alarm wires shorting against engine when door closed.

OP
OP
M

mickey

Paul, Just having this chat made me realise the first thing I fixed on the bob cat was that linkage switch I replaced. before that I didn't even know I had a backup beeper. Then it whent away. I bet the probelm is there.

dozer

Paul, Just having this chat made me realise the first thing I fixed on the bob cat was that linkage switch I replaced. before that I didn't even know I had a backup beeper. Then it whent away. I bet the probelm is there.
My Deere 250 was doing the same thing. Something was drawing too much power. After talking to my mechanic I just replaced the 15 amp fuse with a 25 amp fuse and that fixed the problem. He said its possible the fan motor is going out but for the short term this wouldn't hurt anything. Dozer

andrcurrie

9/10 times I find that the heater motor is shorted out either oil or water leaking in to it. Another thing I found was when the motor got too much dust in it, it would draw too much and pop the fuse. Hope this helps, shoot me a line if you need anything else.

OP
OP
M

mickey

9/10 times I find that the heater motor is shorted out either oil or water leaking in to it. Another thing I found was when the motor got too much dust in it, it would draw too much and pop the fuse. Hope this helps, shoot me a line if you need anything else.
Is there another name for heater motor I'm not familar with that. Is that the blower for the heat?

siduramaxde

Yeah it is.
Mine blew the fuse when the blower motor was on the way out. If you replace the fan, do some checking around for the fan motor. I got mine at NAPA for a lot cheaper than the dealer wanted. Seems like I remember having to solder the pigtail from the old motor to the new motor but that was no big deal. You can try taking out your old blower motor and try to lube it up but I think if I was going to go through all the work of taking it out I would just replace it.

OP
OP
M

mickey

Mine blew the fuse when the blower motor was on the way out. If you replace the fan, do some checking around for the fan motor. I got mine at NAPA for a lot cheaper than the dealer wanted. Seems like I remember having to solder the pigtail from the old motor to the new motor but that was no big deal. You can try taking out your old blower motor and try to lube it up but I think if I was going to go through all the work of taking it out I would just replace it.
Hi siduramaxde, A previous post indicated the same resolution. a few questions(if you remember) 1- is it easy to locate and replace? I assume I lift the cab? I have not had a chance to get the manual yet. I plan to get it on Friday and work on it this weekend. 2- How long did it take for the repair? I am pretty mechanically inclined but no Bobcat experience mostly car and boat engines. 3- ball park on replacement fan?

siduramaxde

Hi siduramaxde, A previous post indicated the same resolution. a few questions(if you remember) 1- is it easy to locate and replace? I assume I lift the cab? I have not had a chance to get the manual yet. I plan to get it on Friday and work on it this weekend. 2- How long did it take for the repair? I am pretty mechanically inclined but no Bobcat experience mostly car and boat engines. 3- ball park on replacement fan?
I don't recall it being too hard to change out the fan. You have to lift the cab and the heater/ac unit is bolted to the back of the cab with 4 bolts. It seems like I remember having to look for the bolts because they were hidden by insulation. The HVAC will drop as a unit and then the blower will be accessible. I remember having some trouble with some of the duct work because it has to be split to get the motor out. Make sure to take note of how the fans are mounted on the motor so you can put them on the new motor the right way. I got my blower from NAPA and I just took the old blower there and they pulled out a book and matched it up. Make sure you get a 3 speed motor with the correct number of wires. I can't remember how much it cost but it seems like I remember it being less than $70.

siduramaxde

I don't recall it being too hard to change out the fan. You have to lift the cab and the heater/ac unit is bolted to the back of the cab with 4 bolts. It seems like I remember having to look for the bolts because they were hidden by insulation. The HVAC will drop as a unit and then the blower will be accessible. I remember having some trouble with some of the duct work because it has to be split to get the motor out. Make sure to take note of how the fans are mounted on the motor so you can put them on the new motor the right way. I got my blower from NAPA and I just took the old blower there and they pulled out a book and matched it up. Make sure you get a 3 speed motor with the correct number of wires. I can't remember how much it cost but it seems like I remember it being less than $70.
If you have problems let me know in this thread and maybe I can help. I just looked and I do have some pictures of the old blower with the fans on it yet. I don't think the pictures will really help but if you want I can send them to you.

OP
OP
M

mickey

Sounds pretty easy. I thank you for your offer to help. I'll let you know how it turns out.

OP
OP
M

mickey

Sounds pretty easy. I thank you for your offer to help. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Heat fuse keeps blowing - MYSTERY SOLVED FYI - the roller plate(connected to the steering arms under the cab) on the back up switch was hitting the pos terminal causing it to short out. Funny how this worked out whenever the heater stops so did the backup beeper. So, I went to replace the bent roller switch and I saw it was shorting it out cauing the fuse to blow. Now, I have the beautiful sound of the backup beeper and Heat while snow plowing.

mrfixitpaul

Heat fuse keeps blowing - MYSTERY SOLVED FYI - the roller plate(connected to the steering arms under the cab) on the back up switch was hitting the pos terminal causing it to short out. Funny how this worked out whenever the heater stops so did the backup beeper. So, I went to replace the bent roller switch and I saw it was shorting it out cauing the fuse to blow. Now, I have the beautiful sound of the backup beeper and Heat while snow plowing.
That is what I tried to explain back in July I guess I didn't explain well enough.

Latest posts