Head gaskets

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

tjc

Putting a new head on my 743, my question is do I put something on the block before I put the head gasket on and how much or how little

brdgbldr

I can't say for sure, but every head gasket I've ever installed did not use any kind of sealant. The trick has always been torquing down the head bolts in the correct order and evenly.

foton

the only head gasket treatment I know that is used when necessary is the spray version of copper kote.

koko

The gasket maker will be the best to answer that question. Some don't even want a fingerprint on anything because of the oil that it leaves.

jp8775

I have a 743 that has antifreeze in the oil. If I run it with out the radiator cap it seems to be ok. But if I pressurize it then there is antifreeze in the oil. When the engine is running if I have a pressure gauge on the radiator there is no pressure build up. So I assume that there is not a crack in the head but rather a head gasket issue leaking into the crankcase? Am I correct? If it was a crack in the head then cylinder pressure would leak into the radiator I assume? This is a older 743 I just purchased, seller sold it because of the antifreeze in oil issue. R&R head have it machined flat and checked for cracks?

foton

for peace of mind I think I would have the head tested first , if it is good have it shaved. These kubota 1702 have head problems when they are overheated so look for a overheating cause as you pull it apart.

foton

I would only used copper kote if the surfaces are slightly warped, use a good straight edge on surfaces to conferm straightness. If they are outta wack have at least the head milled.

jp8775

Can you pull the head off with out pulling the motor? 743 I was thinking you have to pull the valve cover to adjust the valves?

OP
OP
T

tjc

Yep you don't need to pull the engine the head comes off pretty easily once you removed the intake and exhaust manifolds. Pull the valve cover and remove your head bolts, however it's a good idea to mark each head bolt so you can put them back in the same spot.

jp8775

I have a v1702 in a 743b that is out and I had it bored out the short block is all together. I did not mark the head bolts, do I need to buy new ones now? If so are there aftermarket ones?

foton

as best as I know these head bolts do not have a streching issue,so they can be reused. would it be best to put in new OEM ones? yes. If you are thinking about going down the aftermarket road for bolts it might be best to use what you have. some things in aftermarket are fine others not to me these are on the not list.