Has anyone swapped out a Kohler?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Hawker74

Hi everyone, The Kohler in my 540 when kaputz. Instead of rebuilding the POS I want to replace it with a Toyota 22R engine or something. I am looking for ideas, suggestions or any tips from anyone who may have already done this. anyone? anyone? Thanks very much!

Fishfiles

J C Whitney Catalog has a kit to do just that swop , sa-hike ! Don't do it unless you really ain't got nothing better to do and got a lot of resources to waste , seen pictures of a V-8 in an 853 , Road Warrior - the difficult takes a little while the impossible just a while longer

skidsteer.ca

On many of the small loaders I've seens pics of guys swapping in onans and newer kohlers, hondas etc. kohler generally has a pretty good engine though. Anything is possible given enough time and some $$$
Upload some pics of what things look like now and get out your tape measure to see what will fit without having to "slam the hood"
It would probably be cheaper to do a rebuild but if you really hate your kohler, I'm sure we can help you figure it all out.
Check our www.smallenginewarehouse.com or www.surpluscenter.com (they have a whole rack of Kubota diesels right now. (yes the rad thing would be tough, but be sweet little mill if you could pull it off)
Ken

sterlclan

On many of the small loaders I've seens pics of guys swapping in onans and newer kohlers, hondas etc. kohler generally has a pretty good engine though. Anything is possible given enough time and some $$$
Upload some pics of what things look like now and get out your tape measure to see what will fit without having to "slam the hood"
It would probably be cheaper to do a rebuild but if you really hate your kohler, I'm sure we can help you figure it all out.
Check our www.smallenginewarehouse.com or www.surpluscenter.com (they have a whole rack of Kubota diesels right now. (yes the rad thing would be tough, but be sweet little mill if you could pull it off)
Ken
the difficult takes a little while the impossible just a while longer ....hey....thats my sig line......if you really want to anything is possible....Jeff

OP
OP
H

Hawker74

the difficult takes a little while the impossible just a while longer ....hey....thats my sig line......if you really want to anything is possible....Jeff
Thanks for all the input guys! I'm not neccessarily against Kohler, I just don't know very much about them except they also make toilets. A guy at the local rental shop asked me what kind of motor was in it. When I told him it was a Kohler he said - " good luck with that, they usually blow up around the 2000hr mark...." Mine calved at the 1783hr mark. Coincidence? probably. This old girl has been monkeyed with quite a bit before by previous owners so maybe a complete rebuild is in order. I heard parts we very hard to get for it also. This is why I thought a swap out might be a better option. I have heard of guys putting the old toyota 22R engines in bobcats with fairly good success but as for the details - I don't know. I'll toss some pics up of the beast and see what everyone thinks. I still haven't had time to troubleshoot the problem yet but the first thing that came to mind when she quit was either a busted connecting rod or a timing chain. I should have more info next week. Thanks again for your replies everyone! Hawk

Idoitall

Thanks for all the input guys! I'm not neccessarily against Kohler, I just don't know very much about them except they also make toilets. A guy at the local rental shop asked me what kind of motor was in it. When I told him it was a Kohler he said - " good luck with that, they usually blow up around the 2000hr mark...." Mine calved at the 1783hr mark. Coincidence? probably. This old girl has been monkeyed with quite a bit before by previous owners so maybe a complete rebuild is in order. I heard parts we very hard to get for it also. This is why I thought a swap out might be a better option. I have heard of guys putting the old toyota 22R engines in bobcats with fairly good success but as for the details - I don't know. I'll toss some pics up of the beast and see what everyone thinks. I still haven't had time to troubleshoot the problem yet but the first thing that came to mind when she quit was either a busted connecting rod or a timing chain. I should have more info next week. Thanks again for your replies everyone! Hawk
Hawker. I'm not familiar with that Toyota engine so this is just shooting from the hip. If this is an automotive engine, and I suspect it is, the horsepower and torque requirements are likely much different between the auto and a skid-steer. Just something to think about and I'm sure there are some experts here that may have some knowledge on this.

OP
OP
H

Hawker74

Hawker. I'm not familiar with that Toyota engine so this is just shooting from the hip. If this is an automotive engine, and I suspect it is, the horsepower and torque requirements are likely much different between the auto and a skid-steer. Just something to think about and I'm sure there are some experts here that may have some knowledge on this.
Hi again guys, for interest sake, I have taken Ken's advice and checked out www.smallenginewarehouse.com . I originally began looking at the Honda 650X engine at PrincessAuto here in Canada. It seemed to be a good match. It was around $2400CAD. I did a litle bit more research and found that as Ken mentioned, the Small Engine Warehouse had the exact same Honda engine in stock and is sold as a replacement engine for the 540. $1850USD including the kit pieces! Shipped to my door, taxes, duty paid 0 $2060CAD! I was very pleased. I haven't installed it yet but when I do I will post my results. As for the old engine, it turned out to be a very old Wisconsin engine. The babit bearing failed on the connecting rod on the #1 cylinder. The clasp broke and the connecting rod flung around and struck the cam shaft snapping it. The force also was enough to bust the block cast where the cam bearing seats. Bottom line. Engine toast. Thanks again to everyone who replied to my original post. It was very helpful and resulted in a magor problem solved thus far! Thanks!

skidsteer.ca

Hi again guys, for interest sake, I have taken Ken's advice and checked out www.smallenginewarehouse.com . I originally began looking at the Honda 650X engine at PrincessAuto here in Canada. It seemed to be a good match. It was around $2400CAD. I did a litle bit more research and found that as Ken mentioned, the Small Engine Warehouse had the exact same Honda engine in stock and is sold as a replacement engine for the 540. $1850USD including the kit pieces! Shipped to my door, taxes, duty paid 0 $2060CAD! I was very pleased. I haven't installed it yet but when I do I will post my results. As for the old engine, it turned out to be a very old Wisconsin engine. The babit bearing failed on the connecting rod on the #1 cylinder. The clasp broke and the connecting rod flung around and struck the cam shaft snapping it. The force also was enough to bust the block cast where the cam bearing seats. Bottom line. Engine toast. Thanks again to everyone who replied to my original post. It was very helpful and resulted in a magor problem solved thus far! Thanks!
Let us know how it works out. You can't go wrong with Honda though.
Btw are you around wpg someplace?
Ken

OP
OP
H

Hawker74

I will be sure to let you know how well the install goes. I am in Warman, Sask., Ken...
I finally got my azz in gear and installed the Honda engine. It went in very well with minimal farting around. It purrs like a kitten now. An excellent fit for this machine! Thanks again Ken!

skidsteer.ca

I finally got my azz in gear and installed the Honda engine. It went in very well with minimal farting around. It purrs like a kitten now. An excellent fit for this machine! Thanks again Ken!
Well glad it went well. Got to like it when they have a kit to make the install go smooth.
I had no idea about that part, I just knew I got a 14 hp Kohler Command from them for my trailer mower for 450 US instead of 1500 cdn locally. It was old stock (painted red instead of black) but still had warranty. Kohler does make good engines (even if they build toilets) but you can't go wrong with Honda.
Now a Wisconsin is a animal I know nothing of.
Maybe email me a few pics of the install and I'll put them up here for future reference.
[email protected]

tsanders

Well glad it went well. Got to like it when they have a kit to make the install go smooth.
I had no idea about that part, I just knew I got a 14 hp Kohler Command from them for my trailer mower for 450 US instead of 1500 cdn locally. It was old stock (painted red instead of black) but still had warranty. Kohler does make good engines (even if they build toilets) but you can't go wrong with Honda.
Maybe email me a few pics of the install and I'll put them up here for future reference.
[email protected]
hawker let us know about the gas usage. it will probably be quite less. will probably pay for itself in the long run. but as skidsteer said kohlers are good engines as their are quite a few still running after 30 or 40 years service. sad to say but they have had to cheapen their products to stay competive. wisconson has a few good engines out there also.IMHO

OP
OP
H

Hawker74

[email protected]
I'll try to get some pics to ya if I can find them on my computer. My computer is as organised as my shop! lol

OP
OP
H

Hawker74

[email protected]
Have since sold the machine and haven't had a chance to run a tank through it. I would suspect that it would have been quite good on gas. Ya, I have to agree with you guys about Kohler. I don't know much about about them but from what every here says they sound like a pretty good engine. I won't be scared of them anymore, thanks to all your input. Great forum by the way. Anyone know about much about Kabota? I have one in my 853 and I just bought a Kubota KX41 mini excavator. I have had good success thus far with my 853.

Tazza

Staff member
Have since sold the machine and haven't had a chance to run a tank through it. I would suspect that it would have been quite good on gas. Ya, I have to agree with you guys about Kohler. I don't know much about about them but from what every here says they sound like a pretty good engine. I won't be scared of them anymore, thanks to all your input. Great forum by the way. Anyone know about much about Kabota? I have one in my 853 and I just bought a Kubota KX41 mini excavator. I have had good success thus far with my 853.
What do you need to know about the Kubota?

skidsteer.ca

What do you need to know about the Kubota?
If it is a 853, it won't be a kubota, it will be an Isuzu pk3, 56 hp. The of the best cold starting diesel I have ever owned. Only used in this bobcat model and maybe some 843 s.
Quite common in refer units I'm told.
Ken

Latest posts