Hard Ground in South Texas

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jags

I have a job coming up in south Texas (severe, severe drought)soon and I was curious about any sugestions for augering in hard, dry clay. I have a 2005 BC 553 with a 15C unit. A few weeks ago I did a few holes in this area with little success. I have tried the obvious (sharpen teeth & bit, water, etc.) Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Iowa Dave

I am in Iowa so this may not apply--but this would be what I would do here: Try carbide teeth (we use them when ground is frozen) and/or use a much bigger Bobcat. Bigger = heavier=more down pressure= more hyd gpm. 15C is a good unit. My guess is that you need a bigger machine. I dig holes up to 36" diameter. Anything less than a s205 or T190 won't cut it for me. We don't have many rocks and use standard bits here. I see you are in clay. Pretty sure you need more weight pushing down.

skidsteer.ca

Not sure if the 05 553 had more pressure then the old 95 I had likely, it was only 1600 psi and we bumped it to 2000. Are you stalling the bit (indicates to little pressure) or just can't make it cut?
But I think a bigger loader with more down pressure, hydraulic pressure and flow to increase the bits rpm is good advice. Failing that a carbide tipped bit will drill through concrete. But again down pressure makes it work better.
Ken

OP
OP
J

jags

Not sure if the 05 553 had more pressure then the old 95 I had likely, it was only 1600 psi and we bumped it to 2000. Are you stalling the bit (indicates to little pressure) or just can't make it cut?
But I think a bigger loader with more down pressure, hydraulic pressure and flow to increase the bits rpm is good advice. Failing that a carbide tipped bit will drill through concrete. But again down pressure makes it work better.
Ken
Skidsteer, I stall the bit every once in a great while, it seems as if the ground is just hard and it can`t cut. I`ll try the carbide tipped bit. Thanks to both for the suggestions. Jags

skidsteer.ca

Skidsteer, I stall the bit every once in a great while, it seems as if the ground is just hard and it can`t cut. I`ll try the carbide tipped bit. Thanks to both for the suggestions. Jags
You can also add some weight to your augers frame, up to what ever the loader can carry to increase performance if your having little trouble stalling. (its normal to stall the bit on ocasion, against a rock or large root.) Visit http://www.premierauger.com/cdraugers.php to see our selection of rock bits. I'll be happy to quote if you need one.
ken at skidsteer.ca at = @ of course
Ken