grease zerk

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

merlynr

I've had a S185 since last winter and I couldn't get the one tilt on bucket to take grease and the other day I took the zerk out and cleaned a bunch of hard dirt/grease out of it and put it back in an still could not get any grease thru to the bushing. Upon further investigation there was no hole in the bushing for grease to go. So I pulled the pin out and the hole was 5/8" from aligning with bushing hole. For a quick fix I decided to drill another hold in the bushing. I got it drilled but dulled about ten bits of several sizes to get thru a less than 1/8" bushing. about half of the bits were new and the rest were sharpened. What the he!! is that bush made of cause it center punched easy?

Bobcatdan

They are hard. I tried once to drill one and that was the last. In a perfect world, the hole in the bushing does not have to be lined up with the hole in the rod. There is a groove cut in the rod so the hole can be anywhere and grease will get to it. In the real world, if not greased enough, the groove gets packed with crap. Generally if removing the zerk and picking at it doesn't open it up. I heat the rod end with a torck while hold pressure on the grease gun. This normally clears it out.

OP
OP
M

merlynr

They are hard. I tried once to drill one and that was the last. In a perfect world, the hole in the bushing does not have to be lined up with the hole in the rod. There is a groove cut in the rod so the hole can be anywhere and grease will get to it. In the real world, if not greased enough, the groove gets packed with crap. Generally if removing the zerk and picking at it doesn't open it up. I heat the rod end with a torck while hold pressure on the grease gun. This normally clears it out.
Thanks Bobcatdan. I had a torch about ten ft away and never thought of that. I have one in the rear through that hole behind the battery on the inside that won't take grease either. It's the stationary end of ram. Seems like it's going to be a bear to fix cause it looks like the pin goes thru the hydro ram big end.

Bobcatdan

Thanks Bobcatdan. I had a torch about ten ft away and never thought of that. I have one in the rear through that hole behind the battery on the inside that won't take grease either. It's the stationary end of ram. Seems like it's going to be a bear to fix cause it looks like the pin goes thru the hydro ram big end.
The lift cylinder isn't that bad once you get the battery out. Removing the zerk and picking will get that one going.

reaperman

The lift cylinder isn't that bad once you get the battery out. Removing the zerk and picking will get that one going.
The first thing I do when a zerk wont take grease is replace it. What happens over time is the little "BB" on the end of the zerk gets debris in it and gets stuck down. When that happens there is no way of getting grease past the BB. If you have a small wire you can use it to poke the BB to see if it moves up and down. Sometimes, the BB can be loosened up enough where it will work again. But overall, 95% of grease problems seem to be the zerk itself.

Bobcatdan

The first thing I do when a zerk wont take grease is replace it. What happens over time is the little "BB" on the end of the zerk gets debris in it and gets stuck down. When that happens there is no way of getting grease past the BB. If you have a small wire you can use it to poke the BB to see if it moves up and down. Sometimes, the BB can be loosened up enough where it will work again. But overall, 95% of grease problems seem to be the zerk itself.
Usually its harded grease and crud from not being greased enough. A machine should be greased every 8 working hours.

Latest posts