Grapples

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

sandhills-elect

I was kicking around buying a grapple, just don't know how much i would use it. Has anyone bought one and glad they did or didn't let me know your thoughts. Thanks Brent.

Tazza

Staff member
It really depends on what you are planning on doing. If you simply want to move dirt you are wasting your money. If you plan on moving logs, tree branches etc it will be worth its weight in gold.
Everyone in here knows i LOVE my 4 in 1 bucket but it will dig, carry branches/logs. I find it much easier to pick up dirt with it as you just open the bucket and take a bite while moving backwards, full bucket every time no need to plw into the pile. I just feel its quite versitile.

skidsteer.ca

It really depends on what you are planning on doing. If you simply want to move dirt you are wasting your money. If you plan on moving logs, tree branches etc it will be worth its weight in gold.
Everyone in here knows i LOVE my 4 in 1 bucket but it will dig, carry branches/logs. I find it much easier to pick up dirt with it as you just open the bucket and take a bite while moving backwards, full bucket every time no need to plw into the pile. I just feel its quite versitile.
If you are only going to have one attachment at the jobsite I agree with Tazza. But if you can bring both a grapple will make shorter work out of handling stumps stick, bigger rocks. You can get more in because it has more ability to crush and squeeze things down.
I have yet to try a 4 in 1. But I would not be without my grapple.
Ken

Albert

If you are only going to have one attachment at the jobsite I agree with Tazza. But if you can bring both a grapple will make shorter work out of handling stumps stick, bigger rocks. You can get more in because it has more ability to crush and squeeze things down.
I have yet to try a 4 in 1. But I would not be without my grapple.
Ken
If you have to have one attachment on the job you should check out the DEMO-DOZER Multi-tool this bucket replaces six attachments, no kidding, we do all our work with this attachment, it saves us from hauling five other attachments to the job as well as saves us fuel and wear and tear on the truck and trailer, less manual labor too im to old for that anymore. We tear down 40 foot trees in less than five minutes one guy in the tractor no laborers with the outside demo hook on this bucket, this thing works great is built like a tank and is really fairly priced. This thoing is like a huge hand, we separate all our recycling like copper, aluminium, whatever it just keeps one less man out of harms way from working in the pile of demo debris. Take a look I think you will be impressed. The website for this is www.demo-dozer.com Good Luck.

Earthwerks Unlimited

More than just deciding if you can justify it, you need to consdier if your machine is up to the task; a good bucket can weigh twice the weight of a dirt bucket which reduces your usable lifting ability. Then there's quality and durability versus cost. I have 6' Bobcat-brand tthat I bout three years ago for cleaning up Hurricane Katrina. I paid twice what my buddies paid for theirs, but their cutting edges wore out about 40 hours later which means you can't pick up small, thin things--like sheetmetal. Mine has about 400 hours on it and is barely worn down. And their pivoy points are sloppy and the arms are bent badly---they look like the grinning Chestershire cat. Also, the New Holland dealer tried to get me buy their brand which just doesn't have the "open" capacity the Bobcat one does. I could pick up cars from the side and walk them out to the ditch for pickup. Then there's the type of grapple--root (open, grated bottom) or industrial (flat, closed bottom)? Some guys who worked with me on Katrina brought root grapples and were disappointed that they had to pick up debris that just fell through the grates. As far as using the grapple as a dozer---that's easy! I just grab a downed telephone pole, tree trunk or 8x8 and tip the bucket slightly and run with it. When you get to the end of the run, lift the bucket, and tilt it almost all the way down, lower to the ground and back drag. When I was cleaning up New Orleans or "Naw'lins" as the locals say it, the Army Corp demanded the roads be swept everday or whenever a car passed by the loading dumpster which was every bucket load--those dumba----s. Anyhwo... I would just grab a flooded $2000 King size mattress in the trash for pickup, and use that as a broom. Works really well!

Albert

If you want to make a purchase on a piece of equipment, that will replace a grapple, a 4in1, a dozer, a material bucket, a log handler, and add a clamshell bucket that no one makes for skidsteers. Check out the Demo-Dozer you wont have to pick up a log to grade or anything else, this bucket has it all, I am an operator and I invented this product, it is built by a manufacture who builds for the large OEMs and I have overseen its quality and design, we sold 51 units last year and the feedback was fantastic. You complete jobs faster and save fuel by not having to tow around so many attachments as well as you do not have to purchase so many attachments, the savings come in from every aspect. Go to www.demo-dozer.com and take a look. You wont be disapointed. I price these very reasonable and demand the highest quality in manufacturing. This product will make you money. Take a look. Thanks

nailsbeats

If you want to make a purchase on a piece of equipment, that will replace a grapple, a 4in1, a dozer, a material bucket, a log handler, and add a clamshell bucket that no one makes for skidsteers. Check out the Demo-Dozer you wont have to pick up a log to grade or anything else, this bucket has it all, I am an operator and I invented this product, it is built by a manufacture who builds for the large OEMs and I have overseen its quality and design, we sold 51 units last year and the feedback was fantastic. You complete jobs faster and save fuel by not having to tow around so many attachments as well as you do not have to purchase so many attachments, the savings come in from every aspect. Go to www.demo-dozer.com and take a look. You wont be disapointed. I price these very reasonable and demand the highest quality in manufacturing. This product will make you money. Take a look. Thanks
I would go with the grapple bucket. I built mine custom and it is sweet. If you have to buy factory I would get the demo-dozer. My grapple bucket gets more use by far than any of my attachments. I also do a lot of tree work and logging with it. Break trails, move brush and debris big and small, level areas, haul just about anything.

Albert

I would go with the grapple bucket. I built mine custom and it is sweet. If you have to buy factory I would get the demo-dozer. My grapple bucket gets more use by far than any of my attachments. I also do a lot of tree work and logging with it. Break trails, move brush and debris big and small, level areas, haul just about anything.
Nailbeats: Thanks for the reply I started building my attachment based on my need and also due to the fact that the OEMs were charging way to much for attachments. I now know what it really costs to manufacture a High quality product. I get requests from OEMs constantly to rep my product and the first thing they want to do is add 1200 to 1500 dollars to the price. As an end user I just cant see taking that much from my fellow operators. Have you seen the Demo-Dozer, it took a while but I got the patents in the USA and Canada as well as the US Trademark. Have you looked at the site www.demo-dozer.com? Anyway have a great day. If you have questions give me a call at 408-375-2809. Thanks again.

jcass29

Nailbeats: Thanks for the reply I started building my attachment based on my need and also due to the fact that the OEMs were charging way to much for attachments. I now know what it really costs to manufacture a High quality product. I get requests from OEMs constantly to rep my product and the first thing they want to do is add 1200 to 1500 dollars to the price. As an end user I just cant see taking that much from my fellow operators. Have you seen the Demo-Dozer, it took a while but I got the patents in the USA and Canada as well as the US Trademark. Have you looked at the site www.demo-dozer.com? Anyway have a great day. If you have questions give me a call at 408-375-2809. Thanks again.
Will a demo -dozer 6-1 bucket work with a case 1840 with standard flow.? im in maryland and im looking for a root grapple and came across this site , being a new skid steer owner i joined to learn as i have learned allot from other forums as well. Also does anyone know a dealer close to annapolis maryland or does anyone that lives close have a root grapple for sale.? jimmy

Albert

Will a demo -dozer 6-1 bucket work with a case 1840 with standard flow.? im in maryland and im looking for a root grapple and came across this site , being a new skid steer owner i joined to learn as i have learned allot from other forums as well. Also does anyone know a dealer close to annapolis maryland or does anyone that lives close have a root grapple for sale.? jimmy
Jass29: To answer your question, the Demo-Dozer will work with the Case 1840. I invented it for my own use, but have sold numerous units over the years, I just sold one down in Texas, one in Alberta CAN, and another in Des Moines IA. They are a versatile attachment to perform many different tasks without having to change or purchase or haul around all the various single task attachments. We just did a demonstration for a large oil drilling company, something I would have never thought about and a one day demo turned into a week, they loved the unit. If you have any questions you can call me at 408-375-2809

Don Pearson

I kicked around a 4 in 1 before getting a grapple, but as already mentioned, it depends on if thats what you need. I maintain the better part of 40 acres in AR, which is always down limbs, and sometimes trees as well, that need to be stacked and burned, a grapple will grab things a 4 in 1 won't but again, useless for earth work. Failed to mention the size of larger rocks (your tractor is the limit) that can be precisely placed with a grapple. Its more ranch style maintenance for me. Still like to have a 4 in 1, but can't really justify it. They are extremely time saving. If you are considering any long term landscaping, just get both as your budget allows