Goodyear track dilemma

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

MT428

Hi Gang, Until now, I was really liking the the Goodyear rubber tracks that came on my 773 when I bought it 2 years ago. I was out in the woods behind my neighbors house clearing a trail for him when I had simultaneous flat tires, one on each side, while in some slimy mud. So, I had to take off the wheels and get the tires fixed. Of course the track needs to come off which usually means all 4 wheels have to come off. I don't have the spreader tool to reinstall the tracks, so I decide to drive out on the tires. This is where I learned that the front drive chain is usually removed with the Goodyear tracks. It took 12 hours to back it out of the woods on planks and with 2 wheel drive. The tracks are still in the woods, along with my brushcutter. I am tempted to ditch the tracks and get some regular wheels and tires because a flat can really be a disaster. My questions are: 1. Does it do any harm to have the front chains on with these tracks? 2. Isn't it really hard on the back chains when the fronts are removed? 3. Has anyone used a solid tire with the tracks? 4. After using the tracks, would I hate the regular wheels and tires? Thanks!

Fishfiles

yes it will do damage to the drive train if you leave the front chains hooked up ----------------- it would seem that double the strain would be put on the rear with the front disconnected ---------------I have seen people run foam filled and segmented tires with tracks ---------- I think the best combo is either segmented tires or air craft recaps with Grousser tracks ----------------tose rubber bands are nothing but trouble

OP
OP
M

MT428

yes it will do damage to the drive train if you leave the front chains hooked up ----------------- it would seem that double the strain would be put on the rear with the front disconnected ---------------I have seen people run foam filled and segmented tires with tracks ---------- I think the best combo is either segmented tires or air craft recaps with Grousser tracks ----------------tose rubber bands are nothing but trouble
Yes, they are awesome until something breaks. I think I will put some tires on and sell the tracks as I am moving and won't be using the machine where I need to tread lightly. Any idea what the tracks and tires are worth? I would say they have at least 50% left and work great on anything other than ice. Also, what does a set of quality wheels and tires cost? Are there any brands to avoid? Thanks again!