Generator Problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

owensge

Hey gang, I'm having a problem with my NorthStar Tri-Fuel generator (Honda gx393 series). It runs fine but after about 4 minutes, it just shuts off. I've replaced the spark, air filter, fuel filter, oil and checked the oil level to make sure that the shutoff valve was not kicking in.
I'm wondering if the shutoff valve is inop or clogged up (haven't removed it yet to take a look).
Also, it seems to work fine if I have full tank of gas.... I starts acting up with I get to about a half tank.
At one point, the engine popped and I a saw a flame come out of the exaust. This has happened only once so far.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

skidsteer.ca

The smaller single cylinder Honda gx motors have a fuel "sediment bowl" on the fuel shut of valve, (its metal not glass) it just unscrews from the bottom, have you look for or checked yours.
Seems like it is fuel related if it runs above 1/2 ok. Does it have a fuel pump or is it gravity feed?
Ken

OP
OP
owensge

owensge

The smaller single cylinder Honda gx motors have a fuel "sediment bowl" on the fuel shut of valve, (its metal not glass) it just unscrews from the bottom, have you look for or checked yours.
Seems like it is fuel related if it runs above 1/2 ok. Does it have a fuel pump or is it gravity feed?
Ken
Ken, it's gravity feed... Yes, I checked the sediment bowl...

Tazza

Staff member
Ken, it's gravity feed... Yes, I checked the sediment bowl...
When it starts to cough and fart, try sniffing the exhaust, see if it smells lean. It sounds like a clog to me making it not get enough fuel.
Have you tried removing the carby and cleaning it with carby cleaner and compressed air? it only takes a small bit of junkt caught in the main jet to cause you problems like that. Also it could be the pin that controls the fuel level in the carby.
I'd start with giving the carby a good clean.
I have a generator that runs well then coughs and farts but if i'm quick i blow into the fuel tank to push more fuel out and it works well. There is rust in the tank that i simply can't get rid of that is clogging up the filters. One day i will coat the inside of the tank to get rid of the rust problem... one day

charger

When it starts to cough and fart, try sniffing the exhaust, see if it smells lean. It sounds like a clog to me making it not get enough fuel.
Have you tried removing the carby and cleaning it with carby cleaner and compressed air? it only takes a small bit of junkt caught in the main jet to cause you problems like that. Also it could be the pin that controls the fuel level in the carby.
I'd start with giving the carby a good clean.
I have a generator that runs well then coughs and farts but if i'm quick i blow into the fuel tank to push more fuel out and it works well. There is rust in the tank that i simply can't get rid of that is clogging up the filters. One day i will coat the inside of the tank to get rid of the rust problem... one day
if it takes to half a tank for it to act up,check the fuel cap vent,might be plugged.if your shooting out flames your running lean,check and clean out the carb,did you check to see if you have spark when it dies??had a bunch of them that had oil allerts fail and would run for a bit and loose spark.

OP
OP
owensge

owensge

if it takes to half a tank for it to act up,check the fuel cap vent,might be plugged.if your shooting out flames your running lean,check and clean out the carb,did you check to see if you have spark when it dies??had a bunch of them that had oil allerts fail and would run for a bit and loose spark.
Thanks, yep it does smell lean... I'll clean out the carb and give it another go....

sterlclan

Thanks, yep it does smell lean... I'll clean out the carb and give it another go....
try unplugging the oil sensor usally only one wire, the plate compactor does the same thing when going up or downhill the oil runs away from the sensor and the thing coughs and dies and check the cap vent they have a habit of getting sheit in them Jeff

Tazza

Staff member
try unplugging the oil sensor usally only one wire, the plate compactor does the same thing when going up or downhill the oil runs away from the sensor and the thing coughs and dies and check the cap vent they have a habit of getting sheit in them Jeff
Those oil guard sensors are the spawn of satan. Any small metal particles inside the engine get stuck to the magnet which prevents it moving correctly and the engine shuts down and refuses to re-start. I have heard most people just remove the wire because its so much trouble.
Its a great idea, but in practice it can be more trouble than it worth.

OP
OP
owensge

owensge

Those oil guard sensors are the spawn of satan. Any small metal particles inside the engine get stuck to the magnet which prevents it moving correctly and the engine shuts down and refuses to re-start. I have heard most people just remove the wire because its so much trouble.
Its a great idea, but in practice it can be more trouble than it worth.
Thanks, I'll give that a try...

KevinCuellar

Thanks, I'll give that a try...
There are two forms of electricity: AC - alternating current, and DC - direct current. AC is used to transmit electricity of very large distances. The reason is because there is very little heat loss (in comparison) to DC over large distances and a lot less energy waste. AC is the type of electricity in the power lines and also the socket in the wall at your home. DC is direct, like lightning or the stuff that powers computers, home appliances, etc... Both are dangerous at voltages higher than 30 volts (given that there is enough electrical supply or current) These two forms of electricity can be interchanged with little energy loss in the process. This requires an intermediate circuit design. It will often involve diodes to rectify an AC signal into a flat horizontal line with constant polarity (does not switch the directions of the electrons). Generators can be AC or DC. It takes some form of mechanical energy (like the momentum of the water in a river or combustion) and converts it into either AC or DC. A generator can even be designed to output both on two separate power line!! pallet stacker pump trucks hand pallet trucks

jerry

There are two forms of electricity: AC - alternating current, and DC - direct current. AC is used to transmit electricity of very large distances. The reason is because there is very little heat loss (in comparison) to DC over large distances and a lot less energy waste. AC is the type of electricity in the power lines and also the socket in the wall at your home. DC is direct, like lightning or the stuff that powers computers, home appliances, etc... Both are dangerous at voltages higher than 30 volts (given that there is enough electrical supply or current) These two forms of electricity can be interchanged with little energy loss in the process. This requires an intermediate circuit design. It will often involve diodes to rectify an AC signal into a flat horizontal line with constant polarity (does not switch the directions of the electrons). Generators can be AC or DC. It takes some form of mechanical energy (like the momentum of the water in a river or combustion) and converts it into either AC or DC. A generator can even be designed to output both on two separate power line!! pallet stacker pump trucks hand pallet trucks
owensge, what I got out of this is that you should disconnect the oil sensor and replace the engine with a water wheel.

John12

Did you changed oil, plug? Also over load is the major cause of repeated shut off it. And last take it to the expert and repair any hidden problem which shut down it.

Werdna

Did you changed oil, plug? Also over load is the major cause of repeated shut off it. And last take it to the expert and repair any hidden problem which shut down it.
very interesting topic, i will follow this thread closely

mmsllc

very interesting topic, i will follow this thread closely
I've seen the fuel tanks on these type Hondas have a smaller filter that threads into the bottom of the tank. If it is plugged up, that would explain the engine run time of being around four (4) minutes. I would also check / inspect the fuel cap for possibility of not venting. That could cause a vapor lock & not let fuel into the carb. I've seen fuel caps cause larger engine run out of fuel, then a huge vacuum gasp when removing the cap. Just a thought.

mudrat

I've seen the fuel tanks on these type Hondas have a smaller filter that threads into the bottom of the tank. If it is plugged up, that would explain the engine run time of being around four (4) minutes. I would also check / inspect the fuel cap for possibility of not venting. That could cause a vapor lock & not let fuel into the carb. I've seen fuel caps cause larger engine run out of fuel, then a huge vacuum gasp when removing the cap. Just a thought.
I have a Honda EX3500 that once had similar problem. Turned out to be the nylon screen above the fuel shut off. Pain to get out. Then ordering the correct size one to replace it, kept getting delivered ones that were too small!

Latest posts