General purpose bucket cutting edge.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

HanSolo

My M700's general purpose 60" bucket is pretty rough. The cutting edge is worn almost all the way to the seam. There's also been some angle iron welded to the inside near the front edge along the sides. What kind of cost would I be looking at to purchase a new edge and have a good welder rebuild? Is the cutting edge a Bobcat part or can those be found elsewhere?

SkidRoe

You can buy general purpose weld-on cutting edge, but don't be surprised if you are paying $2.00/inch for it. Likely still cheaper than Bobcat....
Around here, a low cost alternative is a wore out / cracked Zamboni blade. Seven footer goes for $20. I have one on my grapple bucket - works great and wears like diamond.
Cheers,

Bobcatdan

You can buy general purpose weld-on cutting edge, but don't be surprised if you are paying $2.00/inch for it. Likely still cheaper than Bobcat....
Around here, a low cost alternative is a wore out / cracked Zamboni blade. Seven footer goes for $20. I have one on my grapple bucket - works great and wears like diamond.
Cheers,
The big thing with replacing a weld on cutting edge is the time and labor to do it. Cutting the old one off. Grinding smooth nd weldding can take 6 hours. Depending on the labor rate and the overall shape of the bucket, it maybe cheaper to buy a new one.

matt681

The big thing with replacing a weld on cutting edge is the time and labor to do it. Cutting the old one off. Grinding smooth nd weldding can take 6 hours. Depending on the labor rate and the overall shape of the bucket, it maybe cheaper to buy a new one.
What about fitting a bolt on edge? Like used on excavator mud buckets, or I know at work we use a product called arrow edge, it just welds on but I have no idea what it's worth.

OP
OP
HanSolo

HanSolo

What about fitting a bolt on edge? Like used on excavator mud buckets, or I know at work we use a product called arrow edge, it just welds on but I have no idea what it's worth.
Thanks guys. Getting quotes on the edges. Coleman in Kansas has some... http://www.colemanequip.com/WeldIn_ReplacementCuttingEdges.asp. I'm also getting pricing from local Bobcat. Shipping on the Coleman part is about $40. Coleman also has the reversible bolt on edges but they're more expensive. This bucket also has some cracks extending into the bottom so I think getting a weld on and have those cracks taken care of is better. I figure if I can get the parts and labor for $400, that's as inexpensive as a Craigslist used bucket.

OP
OP
HanSolo

HanSolo

Thanks guys. Getting quotes on the edges. Coleman in Kansas has some... http://www.colemanequip.com/WeldIn_ReplacementCuttingEdges.asp. I'm also getting pricing from local Bobcat. Shipping on the Coleman part is about $40. Coleman also has the reversible bolt on edges but they're more expensive. This bucket also has some cracks extending into the bottom so I think getting a weld on and have those cracks taken care of is better. I figure if I can get the parts and labor for $400, that's as inexpensive as a Craigslist used bucket.
The correct replacement part is $143.46 from local Bobcat. No shipping charges for ground. A local welder quoted 5 - 8 hours at $45 an hour. So worst case is about $500.

Mikefromcny

The correct replacement part is $143.46 from local Bobcat. No shipping charges for ground. A local welder quoted 5 - 8 hours at $45 an hour. So worst case is about $500.
Wow 5 to 8 hours? I think I could build you a new bucket with that kind of time. You may want to check out a few other welding shops. It seems like if they had a good plasma cutter, they could cut the old edge off (.5 hours) grind all the cuts (.5 hours max) fit and weld in new edge (1.5 hours). I dont weld for a living but do a fair amount every week for my self and side jobs.

SkidRoe

Wow 5 to 8 hours? I think I could build you a new bucket with that kind of time. You may want to check out a few other welding shops. It seems like if they had a good plasma cutter, they could cut the old edge off (.5 hours) grind all the cuts (.5 hours max) fit and weld in new edge (1.5 hours). I dont weld for a living but do a fair amount every week for my self and side jobs.
$500, eh? I just bought a brand new BC bucket for not much more than that. I would use the $500 to buy some tools and do it myself!!

OP
OP
HanSolo

HanSolo

$500, eh? I just bought a brand new BC bucket for not much more than that. I would use the $500 to buy some tools and do it myself!!
"$500, eh? I just bought a brand new BC bucket for not much more than that. I would use the $500 to buy some tools and do it myself!! " Without much any experience welding I figured a job like this was WAY over my skill level. I did get the bucket back two weekend's ago and had a few hours to try it out with the new edge before starting the engine rebuild. Man, that edge is sharp! You've got to have your cut angle just right or you're in deep before you know it!

SkidRoe

"$500, eh? I just bought a brand new BC bucket for not much more than that. I would use the $500 to buy some tools and do it myself!! " Without much any experience welding I figured a job like this was WAY over my skill level. I did get the bucket back two weekend's ago and had a few hours to try it out with the new edge before starting the engine rebuild. Man, that edge is sharp! You've got to have your cut angle just right or you're in deep before you know it!
Didn't realise that you had pulled the trigger already!!
There is only one way to get the skills: Do it!! And then practice, practice, practice. I am no expert welder either, but I can get the job done.
I routinely take on projects just to keep the limited skills I do have fresh, and maybe pickup some new ones.
And with the internet, there is an abundance of free resources where you can learn and pick up tips.