GEHL SKID STEER

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

CAROLLEHMANN

HAD A GEHL SKID STEER GO INTO A LOCAL SHOP TO MAVE A MOTOR MOUNT REPLACED. I GOT THE BILL FOR IT. THEY CHARGED ME 22 HRS LABOR AND STATED THEY NEEDED TO COMPLETELY REMOVE THE WHOLE ENGINE TO MAKE THE REPAIR. DO THIS SOUND NORMAL TO REMOVE THE WHOLE MOTOR FOR THIS REPAIR AND DOES IT TAKE 22 HOUR TO REMOVE AND INSTALL THE ENGINE WITH NO ENGINE WORK PERFORMED?

Tazza

Staff member
Please turn caps off.
I have never worked on one, but for a dealer, i can't see it taking 22 hours to remove/replace an engine. I can see that it may need to be pulled to replace a mount, access can be limited, but i'd have thought they would have ways to do as little work as possible to do it. Bobcats just need levering up, slip the old one out, a new one in and you're pretty well done.

landtekk

Please turn caps off.
I have never worked on one, but for a dealer, i can't see it taking 22 hours to remove/replace an engine. I can see that it may need to be pulled to replace a mount, access can be limited, but i'd have thought they would have ways to do as little work as possible to do it. Bobcats just need levering up, slip the old one out, a new one in and you're pretty well done.
If it's a newer one (post 2000) thats a bunch of crap. Drop the belly pan, Put a jack under engine with appropiate block so you don't damage the pan, and lift an inch or two. Two hours to replace all including under the pumps. One hour if you done it before. They are a simple bolt and dough-nut rubber. Make sure they check the actual bolts that attach the mount to the block. These are short and upside down so they may loosen and vibrate out. You can't see the these without the belly pan off. Mine are 5635's and great to work on except for the starter. Maybe yours is a different model. Scott

wisconsin_cowman

It depends on which model if you have but if the engine isolators are bad you don't need to remove the engine from the skid. If the engine mount brackets are cracked or the bolts are missing from the engine block the engine has to come out. 22 hours seems a lot of time. I get the engine in and out in day with replacing bolts, engine mounts, and isolators. If it is a 4635 or 4640 that has the three cylinder you don't have to really have to remove the engine to replace the engine mounts and isolators all you need is a bottle jack.

Latest posts