Gehl HL3000 questions... pump drive oil & other misc

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

XSleeper

Greetings, My grandpa recently passed away, and in one of his sheds is a 76-79 Gehl HL3000 skid steer loader. I've used it some in the past, but don't know everything about it obviously. I was able to download a Service parts manual. One question I have is regarding the pump drive, pictured on page 8 of the manual in the .pdf link below. http://tuffequipco.com/pdfs/Gehl%20Parts%20Manual/Gehl%20Engine%20Parts%20Manuals/Gehl%20Skid%20Loaders%20Parts%20Manuals/HL3000-Skid-Loader-Parts-Manual-901939.pdf The 3/4" x 14" fill tube nipple seems to have vibrated loose, letting all the oil leak out, so the dipstick shows no oil. What type of oil is used to fill the pump drive? I am guessing it's transmission fluid? (Type A/F?) The skid loader wasn't running at first. Besides a dead battery, Grandpa had put the fuel pump on it's own switch (why???) and the switch wasn't working. Come to find out there was a giant mouse nest in the overhead switch panel and I suppose the mouse urine had corroded and ruined the switch. Replaced it with a toggle switch and that solved that problem. I don't get why he put it on a switch though... the pump is only powered up at key on anyway? The other thing was no spark. Tested the + side of the coil with a 12V light and it had power. The - side didn't have power while cranking. Opened up the cover over the points and they were pretty corroded. (I'm sure I replaced these for him a few years back... last time I recall that the points weren't moving at all because the little push rod that operates the points was STUCK... I had to lubricate it and clean it up for it to move properly. This time the points were just totally rusty so I cleaned them off with emery cloth and adjusted them. I've read that the point gap adjustment sets the timing on this model. (top adjusting points) It makes me wonder if I have them set properly. (it's .20-.21... correct?) Last thing is that there is a missing wire... It's on the hydraulic system, page 12 in the link above... part #20 is a pressure sender. There is no electrical wire connected to the connector. Is that the same part shown on page 14... part #14 on the electrical diagram? If so, maybe I can track that wire down and reconnect it.

Tazza

Staff member
So did anyone ever answer his questions on fluids? I have the same machine and same questions. Please
If it's hydrostatic drive, i don't see an issue running engine or heavier hydraulic oil in the system. I have an S150 that i use engine oil in without issues.
If it has clutches, you need something different.
Everyone has their own ideas for what oil they should run, different areas use different weights as their summer and winter extremes are different.

vandermi

So did anyone ever answer his questions on fluids? I have the same machine and same questions. Please
I found the answer: Hydraulic system is Type F transmission fluid 6 1/2 - 7 Gallon Gear drive system directly attached to the motor is Non-deterg 10w 3 1/2 pints Drive boxes where chain turns wheels on both sides is also 10w non deterg 1 gallon per side

OP
OP
X

XSleeper

I found the answer: Hydraulic system is Type F transmission fluid 6 1/2 - 7 Gallon Gear drive system directly attached to the motor is Non-deterg 10w 3 1/2 pints Drive boxes where chain turns wheels on both sides is also 10w non deterg 1 gallon per side
Thank you Vandermi... very helpful.

Latest posts