gehl 4510

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

DonnyB

I heard a loud rattling noise last week using 4510. After much detective work decided it was a rod knocking, cyl no 2. So i pulled the motor and the pan, and yes definatly rod bearing issues.. The bearing is so loose i can move it aprox 30 thou just by wiggling it. Any of you guys ever rebuilt one of those VSG-413 engines? And what was the cost? I'm thinking i need a new crank for sure and all other associated wear parts, {rod and main bearings, oil pump, hopefully not a new cam or lifters, and get the head checked while its off}, hopefully it doesn't need to be bored and new pistons. I see on the interwebs there are alot of places that sell parts , but never any prices. And i am a nebie here and i really like the site, any help ,ideas, suggestions would be helpful..Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
Before condeming any parts, you should get them measured. Check the bores for wear, if within spec, no boring is needed. Check the ring end gap, or even shout it a new set of rings after giving the bores a quick flex hone. Get the head checked. Depending on how bad the crank is, you may be able to get it built up again. Some companies can spray weld it and grind it back to the right size. If you had to buy a new crank, i don't think the price tag would be pretty....
If you meansure the mains, they may still be ok too. Its just a concern as to why the big end bearing wore out like that, ensure the oil galleries in the crank are clear and your idea about a new or at least checking the oil pump.