fuel supply problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

chas902

Boys I'm puzzled. I have a 1997 751 peugot engine it will run for 5 minutes and bog out. the primer bulb is flat you can"t squeeze it. I leave it alone for a while and come back the bulb is full. Pump it a few times and it will run for another 5 minutes. same thing primer bulb is flat again. I went out and bought a another bulb at a small engine place and the same thing happening. I recently put in a new pick up tube and screen and I'm thinking it down far enough. any ideas?

Hotrod1830

Try it with the fuel cap removed. If it still does it, you have a restriction in the pickup. Could be something floating around in the tank and clogging your new pickup.

Tazza

Staff member
Try it with the fuel cap removed. If it still does it, you have a restriction in the pickup. Could be something floating around in the tank and clogging your new pickup.
Hotrod nailed it, there will be an obstruction somewhere before the hand primer. I found that the fine screen on the pickup tube can get plugged up pretty easily.
I had a 751 that i rebuilt that had this issue too, it turned out that the fuel tank developed algae. I'm still not sure how, as i cleaned it out before i put it back in the machine.

OP
OP
C

chas902

thanks hotrod I pulled the pick up line and pumped out the tank. I can"t really pull the tank out of the machine. so I vac it out all kinds crud and little black specs probally the old line. I'm considering my options maybe put in a couple of gallon of methal hydrate and let it sit. still thinkin about it..

OP
OP
C

chas902

thanks hotrod I pulled the pick up line and pumped out the tank. I can"t really pull the tank out of the machine. so I vac it out all kinds crud and little black specs probally the old line. I'm considering my options maybe put in a couple of gallon of methal hydrate and let it sit. still thinkin about it..
Tazza Cheers mate!!!! I explained what I found to hotrod. I found a product called aquatec whick kills the mirocrobes in the tank and get the water desolved. The answer would be to pull the tank but I can"t do that right now. So I'm considering my options.

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza Cheers mate!!!! I explained what I found to hotrod. I found a product called aquatec whick kills the mirocrobes in the tank and get the water desolved. The answer would be to pull the tank but I can"t do that right now. So I'm considering my options.
If the particles are small, just drain what you can, even flush it a few times. and see how you go. Fill the tank and use an additive to kill any algae, you should be able to get it from most auto shops.
If it keeps blocking the screen, i have removed the pickup screen in the past and installed a cheap inline filter to collect the crap before the main filter. Not ideal, but better than having to pull the tank out.

OP
OP
C

chas902

If the particles are small, just drain what you can, even flush it a few times. and see how you go. Fill the tank and use an additive to kill any algae, you should be able to get it from most auto shops.
If it keeps blocking the screen, i have removed the pickup screen in the past and installed a cheap inline filter to collect the crap before the main filter. Not ideal, but better than having to pull the tank out.
I pumped out the tank then vac it out got lots of little pieces of stuff old hose I guess. installed a inline filter before the primer bulb and it runs like a swiss watch. THANKS AGAIN for all the good tips on solving this problem....