fuel pump issue

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

743 owner

i have a late 80's 743 and recently it has ran great. today i got it out and it ran for about 5 minutes before dying. well long story short it would start with the help from the primer ball and then die. so i took the fuel pump off and took apart to find one of the little plastic discs was broken. 1st question: does anyone know where i can find a rebuild kit online and 2nd question: would this cause rough starting? it takes about 2 30 s tries to get it fired up. but once it fired up it ran perfect.

Tazza

Staff member
I guess it could cause your problem as its part of a 1 way valve. Have you checked that the screw on the injector pump is fully closed? if not it will cause low fuel pressure and it may start then stall.
I think you can get kits for some but from memory they are not cheap. You can also try a Kubota engine shop. Its a standard fuel pump so you don't need to get it from bobcat. I got a price a few years ago and a kit was around AUD $100 from bobcat.

OP
OP

743 owner

I guess it could cause your problem as its part of a 1 way valve. Have you checked that the screw on the injector pump is fully closed? if not it will cause low fuel pressure and it may start then stall.
I think you can get kits for some but from memory they are not cheap. You can also try a Kubota engine shop. Its a standard fuel pump so you don't need to get it from bobcat. I got a price a few years ago and a kit was around AUD $100 from bobcat.
Yes it is closed. the guy i bought it from in january said he thought the pump may have been going out. but it always ran and started so i didnt look into it. but now the only way it starts is if i pump the primer ball. then it runs for about 30 s and shuts off again. like i said i took that pump apart and there is a broken plastic disc in it. but neway thanks for your help. i will see what i can find when monday rolls around and more places are open. i found one rebuild kit for a vaccum style snowmobile pump but i dont know if the discs are the same. that was only $4.95. i am pretty sure i wont get out of it that cheap though. thanks again tazza