frozen quick couplers

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jerry

Any ideas on how to keep the couplers from freezing up when its chilly out? I have had to use hot water a few times now to couple or uncouple, tried the stuff for thawing locks and windshied deicer next maybe hot oil? I am up for trying anything on them.

TriHonu

I sprayed mine down with Fluid Film. I would think any type of waxy film would help. My hoses get fairly warm when running the blower. Most of the snow melts and runs off. I usually just wipe them down before I park it in the unheated shop. I never had any problems when plowing. Have you tried wrapping plastic around the couplers to keep the water out of them?

OP
OP
J

jerry

I sprayed mine down with Fluid Film. I would think any type of waxy film would help. My hoses get fairly warm when running the blower. Most of the snow melts and runs off. I usually just wipe them down before I park it in the unheated shop. I never had any problems when plowing. Have you tried wrapping plastic around the couplers to keep the water out of them?
Thanks, I think I'll dry them out with a hair dryer and them spray with engine fogging oil and keep some plastic wrap handy too. I keep them capped when not in use but once I used the hot water it was all downhill.

TriHonu

Thanks, I think I'll dry them out with a hair dryer and them spray with engine fogging oil and keep some plastic wrap handy too. I keep them capped when not in use but once I used the hot water it was all downhill.
How about a chunk of a large bicycle or small motorcycle inner tube that would fit over each of the couplers on the loader. You could zip-tie it around the steel line. Leave enough to cover the length of both halfs when coupled. Roll up to couple and then roll them down over each coupled line.
Presenting The Coupler Condom!
emotion-5.gif

skayser2

How about a chunk of a large bicycle or small motorcycle inner tube that would fit over each of the couplers on the loader. You could zip-tie it around the steel line. Leave enough to cover the length of both halfs when coupled. Roll up to couple and then roll them down over each coupled line.
Presenting The Coupler Condom!
:) I like the idea of the "coupler condom!" Inner tubes zip tied at one end is a great idea. I often have this problem switching from the blower to a bucket or blade. Thanks. Steve

OP
OP
J

jerry

:) I like the idea of the "coupler condom!" Inner tubes zip tied at one end is a great idea. I often have this problem switching from the blower to a bucket or blade. Thanks. Steve
Excellent idea, and would be much easier than fighting those plastic caps in the cold. cheaper also even if you use a new tube. thanks

OP
OP
J

jerry

Excellent idea, and would be much easier than fighting those plastic caps in the cold. cheaper also even if you use a new tube. thanks
That may even be a marketable idea, elastic on one end to just slip it on and a little velcro on the outer ent to pinch it closed. It would protect the whole body of the coupler from dirt and wet. Maybe they would be sold on late nite tv even.