Fork Repair?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Jeffscarstrucks

I picked up a factory Bobcat set of forks that need some repair. The frame work is no problem but about an inch is broken off of one of the forks. I am trying to figure out the best way to add material and repair this. I am going to keep these around for some time and don't want to second guess myself every time I look at them. I have the MIG or TIG capability to do the repair but the composition of the fork material is what I am not sure of. Any input would be great. I also asked this question on Millerwelds. There used to be some good big equipment guys over there but I have not seen them for a while. Thanks as always, JEFF

thetool

If it's only an inch at the tip, I wouldn't mess with it. Fork times are heat-treated and weight-rated for safety.
If you want the tips to be even, I'd go at the long one with a cut-off saw, and slowly so as not to heat it, then easy grinding to even it up.
I'm wondering how it broke in the first place? Is it bent also? Fork tines are like spring steel, so if the tip is broken, I imagine it was run into something hard, which would explain the frame damage.
I generally don't trust stuff like this, but I can be anal.
Just my two cents, and good luck.

OP
OP
Jeffscarstrucks

Jeffscarstrucks

Just shorten the other one, you won't miss that inch most days.
Ken
Thanks Guys, I think that Your advice is right on. A little touch-up with a grinder and that part is done. There is a good joke in there somewhere about the inch but I am not going there. The forks came out of a truck shop where they tried to unload skids of brake shoes with a 742. It was a good show from what the shop forman said! Thanks Again, Jeff P.S., same advice on the Millerwelds forum....

Latest posts