Foreign Objects Left In Machines

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mllud

I changed my chain case oil in September. I took the right side plate off between the tires. There was a 24" 2x4 floating in the oil.
When you pull the axles and go to reinstall them the sprocket wants to roll to the center. They used the 2x4 to hold the sprockets back to reinstall the axles.And left it in there!!
I had been noticing that side would groam a little when turning sometimes. It wasnt consistant so I just thought a pump may be getting tired. The 2x4 was wedging under the sprockets when on hills.It didnt seem to do any damage. Some ground up wood. Im sure it didnt do any good.
Thats the only thing I didnt get into when I put my basket case together.I just checked the oil level and ran it for a while.I should have took a look.
I had put the 2x4 on my wood pile. An oil soaked 2x4 burns pretty hot in the wood stove. mike

Tazza

Staff member
I'm sorry, but i did giggle a bit at that...
I'm working on a 453 that i think was imported from the states, it must have had tracks fitted as there is wear of where they ran on the chassis. All the bearings were stuffed and on opening the chain case there was almost no oil. Park brake was removed with some bits still floating around in the oil that i found when mopping it out.. The hydro motors where they bolt to the sides had masses of stress cracks, the previous owner removed them and used silicone to *try* and stop the oil leaks, didn't work as it fell too low and the bearings died.
I'm sure they are heaps of other *dodgy* repairs out there!

OP
OP
mllud

mllud

I'm sorry, but i did giggle a bit at that...
I'm working on a 453 that i think was imported from the states, it must have had tracks fitted as there is wear of where they ran on the chassis. All the bearings were stuffed and on opening the chain case there was almost no oil. Park brake was removed with some bits still floating around in the oil that i found when mopping it out.. The hydro motors where they bolt to the sides had masses of stress cracks, the previous owner removed them and used silicone to *try* and stop the oil leaks, didn't work as it fell too low and the bearings died.
I'm sure they are heaps of other *dodgy* repairs out there!
Tazza I posted it hoping someone would enjoy it. There are botch jobs out there. They tear it up and then try to patch it back together.With glue.
Its to easy to maintain it in the first place.
Mike

skidsteer.ca

Tazza I posted it hoping someone would enjoy it. There are botch jobs out there. They tear it up and then try to patch it back together.With glue.
Its to easy to maintain it in the first place.
Mike
B4 I had my shop I used to work on my equipment out of my favourite mechanics shop I just took my tool box there in the fall and work on our stuff until the spring work season again. He had a customer come in with a knuckle boom wood loader and slasher combination mounted on a old tandem truck. The hydraulics were weak and neither the loader or slasher saw (both of which runs off a hydraulic motor or are driven from pumps on the trucks pto's) would work.
John began to investigate the problem and the filters were full of trash, and the pumps and saw motor were wore right out. So he desides to dump the hyd oil and clean the reservoir and change the oil as well. When he drained the oil he found pieces of the top of the hydraulic tank that were cut out with a torch and left in the bottom of the tank along with the small balls of once molten metal. This had be done to install the return lines from the loader and slasher.
It was just unbeleavable how someone could spend a month or two setting this unit up and leave a death sentence like that in the heart of the unit. Unfortunately the 3 section pump for the loader and the other pump for the slasher all ran off the same reservoir (a really bad idea I might add)
The cure involved many new hi and low pressure filters installed and subsequent filter changes along with 11k in new components. He also devide the resevoir in 2 to prevent cross contamination. A year later the cutomer was still changing filters as the trash worked its way out of the system.
It always shocked me, how many people owned equipment and didn't have a clue what was going on in there. They would come in with things trashed need lessly, or would want to do a 50% patch on something that was only 50% good enough b4 it was broke.
And they shook they're head at me tearing things apart that still ran and spending money on it all through the off seasson. I though thats fine next season I'll leave my tool box locked and go to work, you'll be back here spending the money you though you saved when its time to hit it hard.
Ken