Foam Filled tires

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Stephend

I am weekend rancher clearing cedars in Oklahoma. I have a Bobcat 751F with foam filled tires. The tires are worn out and I wanted to get them recapped but the recapper said they were too far gone. I need new tires but do not want to spend 2300 plus for puncture proof tires and new foam filled are 1500 plus shipping. My questions: 1. how hard would it be for me to get the foam material off the rims so I could go back to normal air filled tires or do I need to get new rims? 2. Do I really need flat proof tires for clearing cedars or would air filled tires work just as well. When I bought the skid steer it came with foam filled tires so have zero experience with anything else.

Land-Tech

I would just put regular tires on the machine. If wheels won't hold air from bad beads, install tubes.The tire guys look at you kind of funny but foam tires are a one time shot as far as I'm concerned.They are fine for bad situations, wrecking yard, demolition, but out in the brush, regular tires will last forever. Well maybe not forever. Scott

triad

I would just put regular tires on the machine. If wheels won't hold air from bad beads, install tubes.The tire guys look at you kind of funny but foam tires are a one time shot as far as I'm concerned.They are fine for bad situations, wrecking yard, demolition, but out in the brush, regular tires will last forever. Well maybe not forever. Scott
I took my foam filled tires in to get cut off, but you can do it with a sawzall then remove any remaining foam around the beed and inside the rim.

Tazza

Staff member
I took my foam filled tires in to get cut off, but you can do it with a sawzall then remove any remaining foam around the beed and inside the rim.
I heard a really environmentally friendly way..... Throw them in a fire! they burn off.....
Just don't mind the cloud of black smoke.

WebbCo

I heard a really environmentally friendly way..... Throw them in a fire! they burn off.....
Just don't mind the cloud of black smoke.
We really dont like foam filled tires around here, it just seems that you spend a lot of money on foam, $1.50 per lb so around $200.00 (10x16.5) just for foam and the next day you cut down a tire. Now there is that foam you just bought coming out your tire. Not only do you need a new tire, but another 200.00 in foam! Just remember no matter what you do to a pneumatic tire, its still a pneumatic tire! Wear it out and you have bald pneumatic tire, that will cut easier. Spend a little more, buy a real solid tire, it will come with a heavy wheel to hold that extra weight. Standard wheels can break out the center when foamed. Then you buy a new tire,new foam, and a new wheel! Just my worthless 2 cents worth!