Flat Face couplers

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

little_fellow

I wonder if one of the female flat face couplers is damaged on my skid steer? I can't get it to engage all the way and click in place. I get it to bottom out but the lock color just wont snap back to lock it there. Has any one had this problem before and is their a way to fix it or do I have to get a new female fitting?

budtoh3zo

have you looked at the male your trying to lock on to? it could have a burr causing it not to lock. the other thing did you make sure there is no pressures on both ends? it does not take much and you can't lock it.

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

have you looked at the male your trying to lock on to? it could have a burr causing it not to lock. the other thing did you make sure there is no pressures on both ends? it does not take much and you can't lock it.
There must be something wrong with the female end because I borrowed one from my snow blower and it works with the other end.

budtoh3zo

There must be something wrong with the female end because I borrowed one from my snow blower and it works with the other end.
pull the coupler Collier back and make sure all the balls move. they can get stuck and made to move again with your favorite liberating spray.

jerry

pull the coupler Collier back and make sure all the balls move. they can get stuck and made to move again with your favorite liberating spray.
Take a close look at the collar, I have one set that has a little peg and a notch in the rear of the collar so it wont disconnect accidently. I usually forget that the female has that notch and if it is not lined up the collar cant slide back. Happens once or twice a year.

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

I don`t think you can pull the coupler collar back on a flat face coupler; can you?

jerry

I don`t think you can pull the coupler collar back on a flat face coupler; can you?
Yes, that is how you release them. If you cant then look at the rear edge of the collar for a notch and a peg on the body and align the two and slide the collar back.

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

Yes, that is how you release them. If you cant then look at the rear edge of the collar for a notch and a peg on the body and align the two and slide the collar back.
Yes I am aware of that but the thread before your, written by budtoh3zo says "pull the coupler Collier back and make sure all the balls move" and I don't think the collar will pull back that far.

jerry

Yes I am aware of that but the thread before your, written by budtoh3zo says "pull the coupler Collier back and make sure all the balls move" and I don't think the collar will pull back that far.
I would take the coupler off and see if it will mate with one when they are both unattached. May be just a little residual pressure interfering. I have had them refuse to couple in the winter till hot water was poured over it so it doesn't take much, slide the collar back and forth and hose it down with wd 40 in case some grit got in there.

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

I would take the coupler off and see if it will mate with one when they are both unattached. May be just a little residual pressure interfering. I have had them refuse to couple in the winter till hot water was poured over it so it doesn't take much, slide the collar back and forth and hose it down with wd 40 in case some grit got in there.
Thanks Jerry. This does answer my concerns. Chow

jerry

Thanks Jerry. This does answer my concerns. Chow
Not to change the subject but has anyone tried the couplers from e-bay? I have been getting them from bobcat at about $70 a set and they are half that on e-bay if you buy 4 sets.

Tazza

Staff member
Not to change the subject but has anyone tried the couplers from e-bay? I have been getting them from bobcat at about $70 a set and they are half that on e-bay if you buy 4 sets.
I got 5 sets off ebay a few years back. They worked well, but mostly only when coupling up to the same couplers. They don't seem to be machined as well and they are tight plugging into the ones on my machine. You really need to shove them in to make the connection.
I have no idea if it's just the ones i got, but i installed a set on a machine and bucket, they fitted together well, but mix one of the cheapies to the standard ones from Bobcat, i found it hard to hook up.