First time buyer

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Wynott86

Looking for some advice on a bobcat. Found a 632 Clark bobcat, early 80s, gas engine. Started up right away no problems, hes maintained it and says even if it sits for months it will start right up. Guy used it for 7 years around yard, snowplowing yard work etc.. Light duty stuff. It whines when turning he said it has done that since he has had it. Used roughly 50 hours a year for that time period. I'm looking for a simple yard machine to move debris, logs material, own driveway plowing, nothing major. Seems to be what I'm looking for. Asking 5000$. Heard conflicting comments on the machine about that there not powerful enough skidding all over the place in the snow. Just wondering some thoughts on if it will be able to do what I need which isn't much. I probably wouldn't be using it more than 100 hours a year max, just here and there. Any help would be appreciated.

Bobcatdan

632 are scrap iron in my book. $3000 tops and I wouldn't pay that. Look for a newer 753. Much nicer machine.

Tigerhaze

I have a Model 630 (Clark) Bocat- it is pretty similar to the 632 that you are looking at except I believe the 632 has a water cooled engine instead of air cooled engine.
My 630 has been a pretty decent machine for light to medium duty work. They are a hydrostat Bobcat; I also have a 610 with similar hosepower that is belt drive and I prefer the hydrostat machines for power and responsiveness. They are early enough that they don't have the electronic control systems like BICS or BOSS that a newer Bobcat machine would have, but most parts are still available. My 630 has been fairly simple to work on (so far), but I really haven't had any major mechnical issues either.
Most wheeled Bobcats with tracks or chains are going to have slippage problems in mud or snow so that wouldn't overly concern me. The 630/632 do have a minimal pump flow for the auxillary hydraulics, so if you are looking to run attachments with hydraulic function I would probably agree you should look at a larger Bobcat like something in the 700 series.
$5000 is an average price in my area at auction for a 630/632, but it usually doesn't cost too much more at auction ($200-$3000 more) to step up to a 700 series machine with higher auxillary flow and slightly higher load capacities.
I would like to know what specific mechnical issues or concerns that Bobcatdan has about the 630/632 series that were addressed with a 700 series machine. Again, my 630 has been pretty good to me but havne't had any major issues to repair. It could be the 632, being water cooled, has additional issues I am not aware of.

Bobcatdan

I have a Model 630 (Clark) Bocat- it is pretty similar to the 632 that you are looking at except I believe the 632 has a water cooled engine instead of air cooled engine.
My 630 has been a pretty decent machine for light to medium duty work. They are a hydrostat Bobcat; I also have a 610 with similar hosepower that is belt drive and I prefer the hydrostat machines for power and responsiveness. They are early enough that they don't have the electronic control systems like BICS or BOSS that a newer Bobcat machine would have, but most parts are still available. My 630 has been fairly simple to work on (so far), but I really haven't had any major mechnical issues either.
Most wheeled Bobcats with tracks or chains are going to have slippage problems in mud or snow so that wouldn't overly concern me. The 630/632 do have a minimal pump flow for the auxillary hydraulics, so if you are looking to run attachments with hydraulic function I would probably agree you should look at a larger Bobcat like something in the 700 series.
$5000 is an average price in my area at auction for a 630/632, but it usually doesn't cost too much more at auction ($200-$3000 more) to step up to a 700 series machine with higher auxillary flow and slightly higher load capacities.
I would like to know what specific mechnical issues or concerns that Bobcatdan has about the 630/632 series that were addressed with a 700 series machine. Again, my 630 has been pretty good to me but havne't had any major issues to repair. It could be the 632, being water cooled, has additional issues I am not aware of.
If you already own an older machine and it has been faithful, I won't knock your machine. To the guy looking for one, there are better options. Why I think a newer 700 series is better, diesel engines vs the wimpy gassers, safety system, hydraulic outputs on par with moderen machine and attachment capabilities. Also something like a 753 is a hell of a lot easier to work on. The cab doesn't flip on 30 series, you get to work threw a hole under the seat. I will take an electrical problem on a newer machine over doing just about anything on 40 series and older. For all you guys saying the old ones are so easy to work on, I must be doing something wrong.

Tazza

Staff member
If you already own an older machine and it has been faithful, I won't knock your machine. To the guy looking for one, there are better options. Why I think a newer 700 series is better, diesel engines vs the wimpy gassers, safety system, hydraulic outputs on par with moderen machine and attachment capabilities. Also something like a 753 is a hell of a lot easier to work on. The cab doesn't flip on 30 series, you get to work threw a hole under the seat. I will take an electrical problem on a newer machine over doing just about anything on 40 series and older. For all you guys saying the old ones are so easy to work on, I must be doing something wrong.
I agree with you Dan. I have noticed the newer the machines, the easier things are to access (to an extent). My first machine was a 731, the hoses were packed in, a nightmare to repalce a hose. Then my 743 was easier, but the S150 is so clean and easy to access.
I'd also go Diesel too, much more power, simple fuel system, no need to worry about a choke, dirty carb, ignition system. They can be hard starting when it's really cold, but a heater will fix that if it's a real issue.

Tigerhaze

I agree with you Dan. I have noticed the newer the machines, the easier things are to access (to an extent). My first machine was a 731, the hoses were packed in, a nightmare to repalce a hose. Then my 743 was easier, but the S150 is so clean and easy to access.
I'd also go Diesel too, much more power, simple fuel system, no need to worry about a choke, dirty carb, ignition system. They can be hard starting when it's really cold, but a heater will fix that if it's a real issue.
I appreciate the feedback on the differences, especially from those that work on Bobcat skid steers for a living. I have noticed that getting access to parts I need to inspect or fix on my 630 seems to be the biggest challenge. I have also had to deal with carb issues on both my 610 and 630 so can agree with that observation as well.
Having said that, when working well my smaller skid steers can be very handy for smaller jobs not requiring auxillary hydrualics as they can fit through residential gates and are light to transport.

Latest posts