first time buyer needs advice

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

thehedonist

I would love some input on what type / brand of machine to buy. I have never operated a track loader before, so any advice is good advice. Also, I will be buying a used machine since my business is relatively new and seasonal. My business is doing defensible space or forest fuel reduction. First, I cut the brush and trees with a chainsaw, then put the slash into piles and then haul it out of the woods either by hand or with a quad. It is a 3 step process. However, I think that by using a track loader, I can eliminate at least one of these steps or at least speed the hauling process up. This would be done by using a chipper that runs off the hydraulics of the loader. I am able to chip the slash back onto the property so this would eliminate having to haul it. For the stuff to big to chip, I would use grapples. I would also like to be able to attach a masticator or mulcher to the machine in the future. I live in Lake Tahoe, so the terrain that I work on is often steep or uneven / rocky terrain. It does not rain at all here in the summer, so the ground is sometimes soft and dusty in some areas as well. Does anyone have any input on what the best loader is that would fit these requirements? How about the best hydraulic chippers? I have looked at the Bearcat chippers as well as the Bobcat chipper attachment. Also, what are some of the things to look out for when purchasing a used track loader? Thanks for reading.

Tazza

Staff member
Sorry i can't be of much help on tracked machines but it would speed up the job. The quad bikes may be quick but don't have anywhere near the power of a skid steer. If you chip the brush as you go this will save you the time moving small branches and cleaning up the ones that fall when moving them. A grapple bucket would be ideal for brush removal too. If you get a chipper, ensure you get a machine with HI flow as I'm sure you will need some decent oil flow to run it at a good speed, your dealer can give you the specs required for the chipper. It would be much more efficient moving a few bucket loads of mulch than a heaps of trips with the branches.

sandhills-elect

Sorry i can't be of much help on tracked machines but it would speed up the job. The quad bikes may be quick but don't have anywhere near the power of a skid steer. If you chip the brush as you go this will save you the time moving small branches and cleaning up the ones that fall when moving them. A grapple bucket would be ideal for brush removal too. If you get a chipper, ensure you get a machine with HI flow as I'm sure you will need some decent oil flow to run it at a good speed, your dealer can give you the specs required for the chipper. It would be much more efficient moving a few bucket loads of mulch than a heaps of trips with the branches.
I know little about what it takes to do this but, i think i would get a trailer mounted chipper and pull it in so you could run it and haul branches and mulch while chipping. I think a engine power chipper would do more with less(less fuel to maybe) effort and maybe save buying hi-flow and the attachment. If you buy high-flow and the chipper attachment it maybe cheaper to buy good use trailer mounted chipper that you could even pull in with quad, or make a quickattach to carry it in and sit it in place. Just some thoughts hope you get some good advice. See ya Brent.

mllud

I know little about what it takes to do this but, i think i would get a trailer mounted chipper and pull it in so you could run it and haul branches and mulch while chipping. I think a engine power chipper would do more with less(less fuel to maybe) effort and maybe save buying hi-flow and the attachment. If you buy high-flow and the chipper attachment it maybe cheaper to buy good use trailer mounted chipper that you could even pull in with quad, or make a quickattach to carry it in and sit it in place. Just some thoughts hope you get some good advice. See ya Brent.
These are some previous posts that may give you some information.With your hilly terrain. Mike
How steep of a slope can a T300 handle?
Biased track loader comparison
Rubber Track Expectations

Fishfiles

Rocks and slopes and chip up as much as possible on site sounds like a steel tracked machine like a Fecon with a rotary mulching head would be ideal but its expensive , you can put a mulching head on a high flow machine like a T300 and get by , a mulching head will down trees around 8" diameter and turn them to mulch in a couple of passes , a muclching head on a excavator does a fine job but slower

hvyduty

Rocks and slopes and chip up as much as possible on site sounds like a steel tracked machine like a Fecon with a rotary mulching head would be ideal but its expensive , you can put a mulching head on a high flow machine like a T300 and get by , a mulching head will down trees around 8" diameter and turn them to mulch in a couple of passes , a muclching head on a excavator does a fine job but slower
Have a look at a Forestery Cutter by Bobcat.I have watched one of these At work clearing fire trails -very impressive in deed-This or simular brand /style attachment should eliminate 2 of the three stages in your job.As for loaders ,yes track for sure for stability/ traction on slopes A suspension undercarrage type track system may be more suited to rocky terrain?

skidsteer.ca

Have a look at a Forestery Cutter by Bobcat.I have watched one of these At work clearing fire trails -very impressive in deed-This or simular brand /style attachment should eliminate 2 of the three stages in your job.As for loaders ,yes track for sure for stability/ traction on slopes A suspension undercarrage type track system may be more suited to rocky terrain?
I had a customer bring in a new Valby chipper with hyd feed. The feed motor was in operative and I re timed it then tested the unit on my 24 gpm NH. (not sure how it got to be 7 years old and nevered used, still had all the paint) It work quite well. 4" trees you could zip right through, but he 6" ones had to be fed slower. Still a vary good attachment imo
With a skidsteer chipper you want a loader with hi hydraulic flow and presure to the couplers. The more the better.
Ken

Latest posts