Finally finished the tilt attachment plate for my post driver..

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
Very nice!
How does it all work? got any pictures of it in operation at all?

OP
OP
P

perry

Very nice!
How does it all work? got any pictures of it in operation at all?
Thanks, I should have some pics in the next couple of weeks, got a call to install 120 fence post and still trying to quote him a price. I called a couple of fence contractors and they quoted $3.50 per foot for complete job!. I'm thinking about $4.50 per post?.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks, I should have some pics in the next couple of weeks, got a call to install 120 fence post and still trying to quote him a price. I called a couple of fence contractors and they quoted $3.50 per foot for complete job!. I'm thinking about $4.50 per post?.
Its hard to say, depending on how hard the soil is, could you work on an hourly rate at all? just so you know you will be covered. Unless you have a good idea how many posts you can drive per hour. Its a pretty manual task, jumping in and out of the loader for each post.

OP
OP
P

perry

Its hard to say, depending on how hard the soil is, could you work on an hourly rate at all? just so you know you will be covered. Unless you have a good idea how many posts you can drive per hour. Its a pretty manual task, jumping in and out of the loader for each post.
Tazza, I knew right off I would need help for just the reason you stated, no way am I climbing in-out for each post. Got a unemployed neighbor to assist. I need to make sure there level!. I was thinking the same thing as for how to charge. Since this is my first commercial fence job I was tossing around per hour and per post. I remember helping the guy with my fence and we had the post in, fence stretched and nailed in less than a day. Guess I could take the number of fence post on my property and do a little Japanese arithmetic and come up with a number I can live with?.

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza, I knew right off I would need help for just the reason you stated, no way am I climbing in-out for each post. Got a unemployed neighbor to assist. I need to make sure there level!. I was thinking the same thing as for how to charge. Since this is my first commercial fence job I was tossing around per hour and per post. I remember helping the guy with my fence and we had the post in, fence stretched and nailed in less than a day. Guess I could take the number of fence post on my property and do a little Japanese arithmetic and come up with a number I can live with?.
If it was me, i'd do the same. Then point out that is working on X hours or days depending on the dirt. If its harder than you expected the price would have to go up. You could point out you'd know after the first few posts.
The helper is a must! that would be a deal breaker for me if i didn't have help!

OP
OP
P

perry

If it was me, i'd do the same. Then point out that is working on X hours or days depending on the dirt. If its harder than you expected the price would have to go up. You could point out you'd know after the first few posts.
The helper is a must! that would be a deal breaker for me if i didn't have help!
Another potential problem is 'rocks', we have lot's. I picked up a 3" x12' solid steel rod and I was thinking about using it to bust up any rocks that might stop me from driving a post. Trying to figure a way of using the driver to hammer the rod through rocks, something that I can attach and remove easily.

sandhills-elect

Another potential problem is 'rocks', we have lot's. I picked up a 3" x12' solid steel rod and I was thinking about using it to bust up any rocks that might stop me from driving a post. Trying to figure a way of using the driver to hammer the rod through rocks, something that I can attach and remove easily.
I think i would get an auger too, for the real hard soils.(don't want to beat the hell out of your machine) I have an auger to set poles and i have done some fence lines for some guys. Here it is just sandy soil and a cheap 9inch auger that is for a pto driven digger and i can dig a mile of holes in around 3hrs that is a post every 15ft. Prettty hilly country here. Worked great, hope this helps Brent! PS good luck with your new business!