Finally bought my first Bobcat 743... Upgrade Questions

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
C

calypso428

Great thread,Calypso428,glad you got it running,and could you post a pic of it all cleaned up?
Thanks Zorack ! I will definitely put some more pics on here , and now I kinda want to get it painted but its really nice to just be able to plunge through a days work and not even worry about bumping into anything , I also like my worn out tires believe it or not ! They still offer plenty of traction for this time of year anyways and the machine turns easily on them , well better than if they were new with deep tread , not to mention the cost of new... Im proud to say the machine earned a fourth of what it cost in only 2 and half days of work this past week !

Does anyone have any thoughts about my earlier question about the white smoke ? Tazza? Old machinest?
Thanks ,
Tee -

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks Zorack ! I will definitely put some more pics on here , and now I kinda want to get it painted but its really nice to just be able to plunge through a days work and not even worry about bumping into anything , I also like my worn out tires believe it or not ! They still offer plenty of traction for this time of year anyways and the machine turns easily on them , well better than if they were new with deep tread , not to mention the cost of new... Im proud to say the machine earned a fourth of what it cost in only 2 and half days of work this past week !

Does anyone have any thoughts about my earlier question about the white smoke ? Tazza? Old machinest?
Thanks ,
Tee -
Not really sure about the smoke. It's usually black when under load like that.
Keep an eye on oil and coolant levels though.

Jimbob

Yes just standard grease fittings.
Not sure if you have done it yet but if you take off the covers over the drive motor's you will be able to remove all of the crud that is under there.You will be surprised how much dirt and oil can accumulate under that area and it can then be easily cleaned out with a pressure washer.

OP
OP
C

calypso428

Not sure if you have done it yet but if you take off the covers over the drive motor's you will be able to remove all of the crud that is under there.You will be surprised how much dirt and oil can accumulate under that area and it can then be easily cleaned out with a pressure washer.
you know I have tried doing that but I cannot figure out how they come off , I cant find any bolts to take off of them that are on some other models ... any thoughts ?

tee-

Jimbob

you know I have tried doing that but I cannot figure out how they come off , I cant find any bolts to take off of them that are on some other models ... any thoughts ?

tee-
Should be 4 bolts on the underside of the cover holding it on.You can put a small jack underneath to take the weight when removing it because it can be heavy with the amount of crud in there.I think it is an important aspect of maintenance because the drive motor will run hotter from no air circulation and the fact the motor housing is encased in mud and dirt.

Tazza

Staff member
Should be 4 bolts on the underside of the cover holding it on.You can put a small jack underneath to take the weight when removing it because it can be heavy with the amount of crud in there.I think it is an important aspect of maintenance because the drive motor will run hotter from no air circulation and the fact the motor housing is encased in mud and dirt.
A jack is a good idea, i do the same.
The bolts are on either end of the cover, front and back of the machine. They aren't always asy to see, but they are there. One is especially hard to access, but an extension and 9/16" bit can usually get them all out with a bit of elbow grease

OP
OP
C

calypso428

A jack is a good idea, i do the same.
The bolts are on either end of the cover, front and back of the machine. They aren't always asy to see, but they are there. One is especially hard to access, but an extension and 9/16" bit can usually get them all out with a bit of elbow grease
Is it ok to jack up the bobcat from pretty much anywhere underneath that seems safe and stable? Also, I noticed the edges of some kind of rubber gasket or rubber seal coming around the edge of these plates ... Is this something that's going to come off when I remove the hydro motor covers ? I don't want to mess something up !

Tazza

Staff member
Is it ok to jack up the bobcat from pretty much anywhere underneath that seems safe and stable? Also, I noticed the edges of some kind of rubber gasket or rubber seal coming around the edge of these plates ... Is this something that's going to come off when I remove the hydro motor covers ? I don't want to mess something up !
You can lift from just about anywhere, but i rather lift on the chain case and support it at the axle tubes.
The gasket is slid over the covers, you won't mess anything up by removing them.