Favorite Compact Track Loader

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

joeblase01

I used to run a 297 Cat, it was comfortable. I really though I prefered Cat and then I started running my T300. Took me awhile to get used to standard Bobcat controls but I have gotten efficient with them. Went to a jobsite a couple days ago to dig a footer with my Mini ex and needed to move dirt away so the contractor let me use his pretty shiney brand new 289 Cat. I absolutely hated it. The controls had such a delay, visibility was terrible, and it didnt seem to have as much power as my T300. I was extremely dissapointed, as it wasn't like I remembered the Cat to be. I really thought a Cat was going to be my next machine, but not now.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for your input on the two. Some love CAT, some love Bobcat. The reasons all seem to be different, some like the controls some don't. Then some love and hate the servicing side of it too.
Always good to hear about the experiences to help decide which option may be best.

OP
OP
joeblase01

joeblase01

Thanks for your input on the two. Some love CAT, some love Bobcat. The reasons all seem to be different, some like the controls some don't. Then some love and hate the servicing side of it too.
Always good to hear about the experiences to help decide which option may be best.
I have really not run into many issues with the T300 so far. The only thing I think could be improved would be some sort of shock absorbers for the quick disconnect couplings for the hydraulics. The hammer really does a number on fittings. It seems like when I replace one, another one starts leaking.

Mikefromcny

I have really not run into many issues with the T300 so far. The only thing I think could be improved would be some sort of shock absorbers for the quick disconnect couplings for the hydraulics. The hammer really does a number on fittings. It seems like when I replace one, another one starts leaking.
I'm somewhat biased lol, but I worked a part time clean up job last summer running a new T770 rental. Amazing what that thing could do. Could pick up a whole 80's Olds Cutlass full size car 10ft in the air. Pushed empty roll off dumpsters around in a dirt field pretty easily. 15 years from now they'll be in my price range haha.

Tazza

Staff member
I'm somewhat biased lol, but I worked a part time clean up job last summer running a new T770 rental. Amazing what that thing could do. Could pick up a whole 80's Olds Cutlass full size car 10ft in the air. Pushed empty roll off dumpsters around in a dirt field pretty easily. 15 years from now they'll be in my price range haha.
Joe - they are hard on machines, have you had the nitrogen charge checked? when it gets low, it causes more vibration and damage to the machine. Hopefully it's that simple.

OP
OP
joeblase01

joeblase01

Joe - they are hard on machines, have you had the nitrogen charge checked? when it gets low, it causes more vibration and damage to the machine. Hopefully it's that simple.
How do you check it its a factory bobcat hammer. That would be an easy fix hopefully!

Tazza

Staff member
How do you check it its a factory bobcat hammer. That would be an easy fix hopefully!
I'm not sure who checks them, but you can ask the dealer who they use? The charge may just be a little low and need topping up. If it is all gone, it will probably need seals too.
I know a hammer, no matter what, is hard on a skid steer or any equipment for that matter. The nitrogen just helps buffer the blow when the piston comes up. It is meant to store energy for the next blow too.

OP
OP
joeblase01

joeblase01

I'm not sure who checks them, but you can ask the dealer who they use? The charge may just be a little low and need topping up. If it is all gone, it will probably need seals too.
I know a hammer, no matter what, is hard on a skid steer or any equipment for that matter. The nitrogen just helps buffer the blow when the piston comes up. It is meant to store energy for the next blow too.
Yea I use the hammer pretty regularly so i should look into getting it checked. Thanks for all the info!

Fishfiles

Yea I use the hammer pretty regularly so i should look into getting it checked. Thanks for all the info!
another thing about low nitrogen is production , I charge a lot of hammers and see where when low a hammer will make a lot of noise but not get much done , after charging you can break in 10 minutes what would have taken hours ---------- the are a lot of different charging set ups for different hammers , some like the Stanley . NPK , Kent and Bobcat brand are pretty easy without having to have a lot of expensive fittings , but some like the Atlas Coppco require a charge kit that go up over $2,000 to be able to charge them ------- sometimes a small leak will last a few months before charging is needed again , a good thing to do is to loosen up the hoses while charging , if a diapham or seal is blown then it with blow out the hose when the nitrogen is put in , some hammer have one chamber , some two and some three

Tazza

Staff member
another thing about low nitrogen is production , I charge a lot of hammers and see where when low a hammer will make a lot of noise but not get much done , after charging you can break in 10 minutes what would have taken hours ---------- the are a lot of different charging set ups for different hammers , some like the Stanley . NPK , Kent and Bobcat brand are pretty easy without having to have a lot of expensive fittings , but some like the Atlas Coppco require a charge kit that go up over $2,000 to be able to charge them ------- sometimes a small leak will last a few months before charging is needed again , a good thing to do is to loosen up the hoses while charging , if a diapham or seal is blown then it with blow out the hose when the nitrogen is put in , some hammer have one chamber , some two and some three
It's a shame they can't all just use a standard, but i guess it's a way to get more money for servicing.
I'd like to see just what is inside a hammer, and how the seals hold the charge after repeated blows. I know hydraulic cylinders never seem to be perfect with holding oil back, i'd have suspected a high pressure gas would be even harder.

John12

I'm also big fan of T300 cat due to its extreme power and capacity to work in any condition. I wan got a change to drive it only for one time but it was unbelievable experience. Control and other handling system are more standard then loaders.

Fishfiles

I'm also big fan of T300 cat due to its extreme power and capacity to work in any condition. I wan got a change to drive it only for one time but it was unbelievable experience. Control and other handling system are more standard then loaders.
You should try the new Kubota if you want to feel the power , the hydraulics are plumbed with power beyond that transfers unused fluid from the other functions to the tracks

Werdna

I am keen for further information. I will watch this thread closely.

reaperman

I am keen for further information. I will watch this thread closely.
I cant stand Cat and their hand controls. To me, with standard (bobcat) controls you have way more control over the machine and its direction. The right lever controls the right side of the machine and the left controls the left side. With the joystick, it seems like I'm always weaving back and forth trying to drive the line I wish to. This is especially noticeable in tight areas. And speaking of tight areas, the visibility of the cats I've operated is much more limited than Bobcat. I work in a lot of very tight spots so I want full control of what I'm doing. This means no trying to find the "right spot" on a joystick countless times throughout the day. Another thing I noticed with CAT is when operating through tight spots the machine will struggle through a turn and just stop dead because the machine doesnt have the power to "slide" the opposite side of the machine thru the turn. With standard controls, one lever forward and the opposite lever can be pulled back just enough to maneuver wherever you wish to go. A joystick will never have this ability, regardless of brand. I'm not a brand basher, I've been running cat skikloaders since they came out and I'm not impressed, we have 3 of them (277,277,247) where I work. One engine blew at 1000 hrs and approx $12,000 later. All three have ongoing undercarriage issues especially the bogie wheels. Which are a huge pain in the ass to fix. We have never had undercarriage issues with our t250's other than new tracks and a occasional drive sprocket. Which only takes about a hour per side to take a track on/off and switch out a sprocket. I still curse the day my boss bought the first 277 and paid $10.000 more for it than a t250. I told him if it didnt say CAT, he would have never even looked at the machine. The other two cats came from another company he bought out. Now almost 10 years later and thousands more in repair bills he finally admits I was right from the start.

scrambler

I cant stand Cat and their hand controls. To me, with standard (bobcat) controls you have way more control over the machine and its direction. The right lever controls the right side of the machine and the left controls the left side. With the joystick, it seems like I'm always weaving back and forth trying to drive the line I wish to. This is especially noticeable in tight areas. And speaking of tight areas, the visibility of the cats I've operated is much more limited than Bobcat. I work in a lot of very tight spots so I want full control of what I'm doing. This means no trying to find the "right spot" on a joystick countless times throughout the day. Another thing I noticed with CAT is when operating through tight spots the machine will struggle through a turn and just stop dead because the machine doesnt have the power to "slide" the opposite side of the machine thru the turn. With standard controls, one lever forward and the opposite lever can be pulled back just enough to maneuver wherever you wish to go. A joystick will never have this ability, regardless of brand. I'm not a brand basher, I've been running cat skikloaders since they came out and I'm not impressed, we have 3 of them (277,277,247) where I work. One engine blew at 1000 hrs and approx $12,000 later. All three have ongoing undercarriage issues especially the bogie wheels. Which are a huge pain in the ass to fix. We have never had undercarriage issues with our t250's other than new tracks and a occasional drive sprocket. Which only takes about a hour per side to take a track on/off and switch out a sprocket. I still curse the day my boss bought the first 277 and paid $10.000 more for it than a t250. I told him if it didnt say CAT, he would have never even looked at the machine. The other two cats came from another company he bought out. Now almost 10 years later and thousands more in repair bills he finally admits I was right from the start.
I have not operated to many machines, but I can tell you that I really like my t-180 . I rented a 864 long time ago it really had good power and pushed good then I rented a t 250 and I really liked this machine and then I ran a t 300 for a couple of months and it really impressed me . The 300 is just plain awesome , it will literally toss a rock on top the machine when you curl the bucket and push any pile of dirt you want. Fast too...and all these were foot control no hand joy sticks. hope this helps