Failed turbo

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

RAW111462

I have a bobcat T650 2014 with a Doosan D24 NAP engine the turbo failed at 1300 hrs. Has any else had this problem? The bobcat repair shop thinks it's because of fine dust particles. I've never seen any dust on the secondary air filter. I believe it was the bearing because i could wiggle the turbo around.Now the motor is toast,this is what their telling me. Does anyone have any thought's on this?

Wayne440

IF it was my machine, I would want a more detailed response than "the motor is toast" before they got 15 cents more of my money. A turbo failure can cause engine damage, if for instance some part of the turbocharger fragged and got into the engine or a seal lets go and the engine overspeeds on lube oil. In either case the damage is usually obvious, rather than a "thinks its because of".

OP
OP
R

RAW111462

IF it was my machine, I would want a more detailed response than "the motor is toast" before they got 15 cents more of my money. A turbo failure can cause engine damage, if for instance some part of the turbocharger fragged and got into the engine or a seal lets go and the engine overspeeds on lube oil. In either case the damage is usually obvious, rather than a "thinks its because of".
Fragmented parts did enter the engine. I could wiggle the turbo around so I'm assuming the bearing let go.

Wayne440

Fragmented parts did enter the engine. I could wiggle the turbo around so I'm assuming the bearing let go.
In my limited experience, engines that ingest more than a tiny bit of "fragmented parts" generally need significant attention. That is a bummer given your relatively low hours.