Experiences with a four-way blade

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bobbie-g

Quote from another thread: I do have a question for you, I see you have a 4 way dozer blade. I have see a lot of threads that guys do not like them. However, most of these guys have driven BIG dozers. Be kind of like road testing a Kia when you drive a Porsche every day. Do you find it handy? The main thing I was looking to do with it is move Hard Pan Clay for my son's MX track. Thanks for any advice? Dirtworks xxxxxxxxxxxx ------------- xxxxxxxxxxx I have a Quik-way (?) four way blade which I use with my 751 to move snow. Works fine in snow, the blade can be angled enough to roll the snow off the moleboard pretty well if I drive as fast as I can. Only problem is with wet snow and sticking to the blade, then I have to push each blade-full off to the side, then go back for another bite. Now to your question: The blade is set up with springs that hold the blade in a vertical position until I hit a stump or rock or other immovable object. The blade then tips forward as it rides up over the object. Nice for moving snow, but it does not provide any solid surface for digging or grading. I would guess that moving sand or loose dirt might work OK, but you'd have to take a small bite so as not to overload the four-way and tip the blade forward. Yes, the spring tension can be adjusted, but that only slightly helps the problem. Overall, I think the four-way is not the right tool for dirtwork. I much prefer a bucket. If I use the smooth bucket, I can do a pretty decent job of smoothing out surfaces with repeated passes. :) ---Bobbie-G