exhaust smells like fuel and white smoke

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

guls67

Hello I'm new to the site. I recently purchased a 1999 bobcat 751. The previous owner had installed a new fuel pump I guess it's called and said it needs timed. Not sure if it is the cause for the fuel smell and white smoke. I have the manual and read the part about timing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks Chris.

OP
OP
G

guls67

Or if any one knows the spec to set the injector pump at or were I can find it. as well as the tool I need to do so thanks chris.

Bobcatdan

Or if any one knows the spec to set the injector pump at or were I can find it. as well as the tool I need to do so thanks chris.
Being a 99, I'd guess it is a Kubota, earlier units had Peugeot. The injector pump is timed by shims that go between the pump cassette and pump housing. The thing is, what you are saying doesn't make sense to me. White smoke in terms of fuel means the engine is running way too lean. So smelling raw fuel makes no sense unless this thing has a dead cylinder while the other three are lean. My 2¢ is have somebody who knows Kubota engines look at it. If you have a Peugeot engine, I think you got screwed as it is older then you were told. Those engined are junk and very expensive to repair. Bobcat went as far to offer a kit to swap to a Kubota.

OP
OP
G

guls67

Being a 99, I'd guess it is a Kubota, earlier units had Peugeot. The injector pump is timed by shims that go between the pump cassette and pump housing. The thing is, what you are saying doesn't make sense to me. White smoke in terms of fuel means the engine is running way too lean. So smelling raw fuel makes no sense unless this thing has a dead cylinder while the other three are lean. My 2¢ is have somebody who knows Kubota engines look at it. If you have a Peugeot engine, I think you got screwed as it is older then you were told. Those engined are junk and very expensive to repair. Bobcat went as far to offer a kit to swap to a Kubota.
First off thank you for your response. Second my mistake it's a 97 with a crappo peugeot motor. I guess if there is any good side to it there is reman motor in it with a new injector pump. But it does have white smoke that smells like fuel.

OP
OP
G

guls67

First off thank you for your response. Second my mistake it's a 97 with a crappo peugeot motor. I guess if there is any good side to it there is reman motor in it with a new injector pump. But it does have white smoke that smells like fuel.
I was trying to post a picture but not sure how.

OP
OP
G

guls67

I was trying to post a picture but not sure how.
Also Dan not sure if this would cause the smoke or smell but the book says the glow plug should ohm at between 0.3-0.4 ohms mine were 0.8 on one as about an ohm on the other 3. Thanks chris

Tazza

Staff member
Also Dan not sure if this would cause the smoke or smell but the book says the glow plug should ohm at between 0.3-0.4 ohms mine were 0.8 on one as about an ohm on the other 3. Thanks chris
So, is it starting at all? or just puffing smoke?
3 ohms seems high when the others are a lot lower.

Tazza

Staff member
It's a constant plew of smoke.
I'd pull the injectors and give them a clean.
Do them one at a time so you don't mix up parts. It's possible something is stuck allowing fuel to drip in or have a bad spray pattern.
The plunger part in the nozzle must be free to move, when diesels sit for a while, these parts can get stuck.
Another way is to get the engine running, then you loosen the nut on the tubeline to the injector, it essentially stops fuel getting into the engine. When the smoke stops, that's the bad one. It is messy with fuel going everywhere, so keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case.

OP
OP
G

guls67

I'd pull the injectors and give them a clean.
Do them one at a time so you don't mix up parts. It's possible something is stuck allowing fuel to drip in or have a bad spray pattern.
The plunger part in the nozzle must be free to move, when diesels sit for a while, these parts can get stuck.
Another way is to get the engine running, then you loosen the nut on the tubeline to the injector, it essentially stops fuel getting into the engine. When the smoke stops, that's the bad one. It is messy with fuel going everywhere, so keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case.
Thank you for the response, I'll try that. The previous owner put on a new injector pump but wouldn't spend the money on the the tool to time it properly. After many hrs of research I found the procedure and tool. Found one on here as well from old machinist. Thanks again chris

Tazza

Staff member
Thank you for the response, I'll try that. The previous owner put on a new injector pump but wouldn't spend the money on the the tool to time it properly. After many hrs of research I found the procedure and tool. Found one on here as well from old machinist. Thanks again chris
The main timing is easy, the fine tuning is a bit more technical. There are holes and threaded points to install lock pins, then the belt gets wrapped around.
I actually did this on my 751 years ago, they are very nice engines when running properly.

OP
OP
G

guls67

The main timing is easy, the fine tuning is a bit more technical. There are holes and threaded points to install lock pins, then the belt gets wrapped around.
I actually did this on my 751 years ago, they are very nice engines when running properly.
Well your right the fine tuning can be a pita. All day yesterday over and over trying to adjust it but got rid of a lot of the smoke and starts a lot easier with more power. Still not there yet don't smoke near as bad especially with the idle up higher. Do you know if they are a noisy diesel engine like a Ford power stoke compared to my duramax ? The lever says to set it at 7.28mm. The instructions I have say set the timing pin the go counter clockwise a 1/4 turn set the gauge at zero then come clockwise to 7.28 by means of rotating the pump. I have to turn it about an 1/8 before I get any reading in the dial indicator and not sure if that's right or not.

Tazza

Staff member
Well your right the fine tuning can be a pita. All day yesterday over and over trying to adjust it but got rid of a lot of the smoke and starts a lot easier with more power. Still not there yet don't smoke near as bad especially with the idle up higher. Do you know if they are a noisy diesel engine like a Ford power stoke compared to my duramax ? The lever says to set it at 7.28mm. The instructions I have say set the timing pin the go counter clockwise a 1/4 turn set the gauge at zero then come clockwise to 7.28 by means of rotating the pump. I have to turn it about an 1/8 before I get any reading in the dial indicator and not sure if that's right or not.
I actually never adjusted the fine tuning on the pump, i only replaced the belt.
As for noise, i don't believe it was really noisy. I guess it's possible if there is noise there still and smoke, an injector may need a clean.
They aren't super easy to start, i think the starter is a little under sized for that engine, especially with a pump attached.

OP
OP
G

guls67

I actually never adjusted the fine tuning on the pump, i only replaced the belt.
As for noise, i don't believe it was really noisy. I guess it's possible if there is noise there still and smoke, an injector may need a clean.
They aren't super easy to start, i think the starter is a little under sized for that engine, especially with a pump attached.
Thanks Tazza I have it real close to the number on the lever but it's still not right so on to the checking the injectors thanks again I really appreciate your comments it's definitely hard to get help and info on this. I have hours and hours of searching with not much luck. Thanks Chris

Latest posts