Evapo-Rust. -- anybody ever used this? Other options?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

meldawg

I have a very rusted gas tank on an old Bobcat. It is part of the frame and, therefore, it is not removable. i am (obviosly) trying to eliminate the rust, but most methods require shaking the gas tank. I am considering three options. I just came across Evapo-Rust while at the auto parts store today. It would be kinda expensive because I need about eleven gallons to fill the tank. Second plan would be to cut a hole in side-wall of tank/machine; brush/clean inside of tank; fashion some type of cover that would be a little bigger than the hole. Third plan would be to add a tank; sort of like an auxillary tank; but it would be the only usable tank. Anybody try any of these? In advance, thanks for your input. PS, I also plan to visit a radiator shop to see if they can help. Meldawg

OP
OP
M

meldawg

Sorry for the length of original post. I did make into several paragraphs for ease of reading, but I guess it didn't take - still learning on this forum.

Tazza

Staff member
Sorry for the length of original post. I did make into several paragraphs for ease of reading, but I guess it didn't take - still learning on this forum.
To format your posts you need to click on your profile and click the box that says use HTML editor, save.
Then you need to use interenet explorer, others do not all run very well on the forum software i'm afraid.
As for the tank, that is a hard one..... You really need to get the rust out then use something like an epoxy based sealant to stop the rust coming back. I thought you could get ones that were sort of like a bag that you cover in epoxy then install and blow up.
Hoefully someone has other ideas that may be better.

Hotrod1830

To format your posts you need to click on your profile and click the box that says use HTML editor, save.
Then you need to use interenet explorer, others do not all run very well on the forum software i'm afraid.
As for the tank, that is a hard one..... You really need to get the rust out then use something like an epoxy based sealant to stop the rust coming back. I thought you could get ones that were sort of like a bag that you cover in epoxy then install and blow up.
Hoefully someone has other ideas that may be better.
Has anybody ever tried the electrolysis(sp) mothod? Ive done it to small parts, but never in reverse.
Normaly you take a poly container/barrel and place your rusty parts in it. Fill it with water and some pure laundry soda ( bout a cup for 5 gallons of water is what I use) You then place a clean piece of steel in with it without it touching the rusty part. Hook up a battery charger to the parts. I think it is positive lead on the rusting part, negative lead on the clean metal. Turn the battery charger on low charge( 6 amps) and leave it over night. The next morning most of the rust from your part is now attatched to the once clean piece of metal. Your originaly rusty part is now covered in a black oxide coating. Kinda neat and it really works. It should work in reverse, with the fuel tank as positive and the clean metal rod in the tank and negative. Just remember the metals cant touch or it wont work. Also you will need to do it outside and avoid smoking near it as it is said to produce hydrogen gas. Once you are done just make sure all the water is out and the bottom is clean.
Try it on a small part first if you want to see it work. remeber, Pure laundry soda, NOT baking soda.

Tazza

Staff member
Has anybody ever tried the electrolysis(sp) mothod? Ive done it to small parts, but never in reverse.
Normaly you take a poly container/barrel and place your rusty parts in it. Fill it with water and some pure laundry soda ( bout a cup for 5 gallons of water is what I use) You then place a clean piece of steel in with it without it touching the rusty part. Hook up a battery charger to the parts. I think it is positive lead on the rusting part, negative lead on the clean metal. Turn the battery charger on low charge( 6 amps) and leave it over night. The next morning most of the rust from your part is now attatched to the once clean piece of metal. Your originaly rusty part is now covered in a black oxide coating. Kinda neat and it really works. It should work in reverse, with the fuel tank as positive and the clean metal rod in the tank and negative. Just remember the metals cant touch or it wont work. Also you will need to do it outside and avoid smoking near it as it is said to produce hydrogen gas. Once you are done just make sure all the water is out and the bottom is clean.
Try it on a small part first if you want to see it work. remeber, Pure laundry soda, NOT baking soda.
I see no reason why it won't work.
I have seen this done on youtube, it is very impressive.

mark18mwm

I don't know how well that would work in "reverse" to get it off the tank walls, but I have done this before the conventional way. It works great, I did it to a set of headers off my race car to repaint them. It took all the rust off the headers, but it took a while, like a few days, but it did work. I would say it's worth a shot. The worst that could happen is dealing with the water in the tank, but that's not a big deal to clean up. The electrolysis does build hydrogen gas I have been told, not sure how that might mix with gasoline fumes, but I think if you fill the tank to the top with the electrolysis solution it wouldn't be a problem. I would say go for it.

Latest posts