Equipment Scam on Craigslist

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

UTKTWF

Surely you guys have contacted somebody online "selling" equipment and they have a $20k machine for $6000 - too good to be true deals. I contacted somebody about one, got the poorly written responses, and asked for an invoice. This is what they sent me - - - trying to play eBay yet wanting me to send money to a "Todor Nikolai" who, like the machine, happens to be nowhere near Knoxville, TN where it was listed. I uploaded what they sent me here - http://home.comcast.net/~tjdj/ebay/eBay-Invoice.pdf FRAUD - hope nobody has even gone through with one of these....

Tazza

Staff member
I have had scams like that on Ebay too, they claim their ebay email doesn't work or paypal has stuffed something up so pay them direct with western union. Not to mention one person that was selling a plasma cutter wanted me to send the money to the UK (i'm in Australia). Then the whole 'threat' of them saying i'll report you to ebay and you will get bad feedback. This is after i contacted the genuine seller.
It would be a good idea to blank out your personal details on the file too.

Tazza

Staff member
I have had scams like that on Ebay too, they claim their ebay email doesn't work or paypal has stuffed something up so pay them direct with western union. Not to mention one person that was selling a plasma cutter wanted me to send the money to the UK (i'm in Australia). Then the whole 'threat' of them saying i'll report you to ebay and you will get bad feedback. This is after i contacted the genuine seller.
It would be a good idea to blank out your personal details on the file too.
The other thing that looks weird on that one is the fact it talks about the funds will be put in X account till verified, but its ebay finance? that makes no sense to me.
They are good at making the scams look legit though.
I find that checking the hyperlinks they send are actually ebay, they make it look right in the text, but you look at the actual address that the link will take you to is totally different.

mclark

I have seen these ads on craigslist in several other states and I continually flag them. You would think craigslist would bust them. I too hope no one has sent these jokers any money. The old saying still stands "If it's to good to be true it probably isn't"

coreya3212

I have seen these ads on craigslist in several other states and I continually flag them. You would think craigslist would bust them. I too hope no one has sent these jokers any money. The old saying still stands "If it's to good to be true it probably isn't"
Ohhhh I hate those scammers!!! I usually email them about where I can see the unit and when they tell me its in timbuck2, I tell them what a coincidence, I am in the area.... there was one guy on craiglist that wrote a story about string along one of these scammers for weeks. Kept telling him he sent the money western union, but to the worng station, made the guy drive 45 minutes to the outlet, and then no money there... it was pretty good. These guys are buggers, and yes if it sounds too good to be true, it likely is. Always deal in person.