Enough is Enough!!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

SkidRoe

No real question, more of a vent:
Well, I blew another hydro drive hose on Saturday while just starting a post setting job. Thankfully, Pops was a plowing match and the 773 was not busy. Quick trip to the farm to exchange machines, and 6 holes I had to hand dig cause the 773 can't fit everywhere the 440b will.
As I was digging these 6 holes, I had plenty of time to reflect (fume?) about all the hoses I have blown over the past couple of years as they have reached the end of their 20+ year life, at the most inopportune times.
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!
Last night, I tracked down every hose in the bowels of the 440b and removed them all!! Of course, now the engine, the hydraulic pumps, the reservoir, and various other components are piled up on the floor of the shop, but it is going to be worth it!! And it only took about 2.5 hours to completely gut the machine.
New hoses are being made as I write. Looking forward to the piece of mine that having these things replaced will bring.
Cheers - SR

reaperman

I'm with you! I've never saw a hose blow when the machine is in a convinent location or needed most. Damn Murphy's law!

Tazza

Staff member
I'm with you! I've never saw a hose blow when the machine is in a convinent location or needed most. Damn Murphy's law!
Sadly re-hosing a machine isn't cheap, but it sure is nice having new hoses that you know won't just pop when you need it the most.

OP
OP
SkidRoe

SkidRoe

Sadly re-hosing a machine isn't cheap, but it sure is nice having new hoses that you know won't just pop when you need it the most.
Worse part is the labor. Since I am doing this myself, it is not so bad. Besides, after driving a desk all day, this effort is what I call therapy!
As for hoses, I have a local hydraulic shop that I deal with. I dropped off the old hoses at 8:00AM, picked up the new ones after work at 5:00 PM.
I had replaced a number of more accessible hoses already, so there were only 6 hoses involved. My machine has no BICS. Cost about $100. Likely will be out the door on this one for about $150, including oil and brake cleaner (for clean-up).
Important info for all you 440b owners out there:
The main drive belt idler was on it's way out too, and, of course, BC has changed the idler design and it is not interchangeable with the original design.. They would have you replace the entire idler mount to integrate their 'new' pulley design. There is no way that I can see of installing the new idler mount without pulling the engine/hydraulic pump assembly. I elected not to buy the new mounting arm; I modified the existing idler mount to take the new pulley, it involves flattening out the 2 bends in the idler arm and installing a 0.5" longer bolt.
Cheers - SR

rodbuilder

And a 1992 Bobcat 440B is worth what - $2500-3000 on a good day?? Sounds to me like you need a better accountant!!!!

OP
OP
SkidRoe

SkidRoe

And a 1992 Bobcat 440B is worth what - $2500-3000 on a good day?? Sounds to me like you need a better accountant!!!!
Thank you so much, rodbuilder, for your valuable advice. I will start putting out feelers for a better accountant immediately. Have a blessed day!!

6brnorma

Thank you so much, rodbuilder, for your valuable advice. I will start putting out feelers for a better accountant immediately. Have a blessed day!!
This is a "Skidsteer" forum rodbuilder……we don't get many "Stock Market Analysts" perusing this site…..you'll need to start slow for us…..perhaps your own thread would be appropriate…not in the "General Repairs" sub-forum.

gearbox

This is a "Skidsteer" forum rodbuilder……we don't get many "Stock Market Analysts" perusing this site…..you'll need to start slow for us…..perhaps your own thread would be appropriate…not in the "General Repairs" sub-forum.
I will say it again . I will send the semi and will buy every 440 B you can get for 3000 . Fill the truck . Gearbox

Tazza

Staff member
I will say it again . I will send the semi and will buy every 440 B you can get for 3000 . Fill the truck . Gearbox
I'm with you guys, if you find a machine you like, why not keep it going? Even better if you make money with them.
If you know them inside and out, you can easily repair them, unlike the new ones that you need a computer so re-program.
I'm not saying that machine that is utterly flogged out is worth spending loads of money to get going again, great for spare parts though.

OP
OP
SkidRoe

SkidRoe

I'm with you guys, if you find a machine you like, why not keep it going? Even better if you make money with them.
If you know them inside and out, you can easily repair them, unlike the new ones that you need a computer so re-program.
I'm not saying that machine that is utterly flogged out is worth spending loads of money to get going again, great for spare parts though.
And she's all back together again. First thing I noticed was how quiet it is now. It is amazing how much noise a dry idler bearing can make. I do love this old machine. It has been in my family since it was new, and I know it like the back of my hand. For what I use it for, it is the perfect machine, especially with all of the tight areas I have to get into. Would an S70 be better? Maybe, but this one is paid for and more than earns it's keep every weekend in my part-time landscaping business. All of the modifications that I have made to it have made it a better machine than when it left the factory. For me, that is half the fun! Cheers - SR

Chowmein53

And she's all back together again. First thing I noticed was how quiet it is now. It is amazing how much noise a dry idler bearing can make. I do love this old machine. It has been in my family since it was new, and I know it like the back of my hand. For what I use it for, it is the perfect machine, especially with all of the tight areas I have to get into. Would an S70 be better? Maybe, but this one is paid for and more than earns it's keep every weekend in my part-time landscaping business. All of the modifications that I have made to it have made it a better machine than when it left the factory. For me, that is half the fun! Cheers - SR
Good job SkidRoe! A couple hundred bucks to update some aging rubber seems worth it to me. As already mentioned, you know the machine in and out. Besides who knows what upgrades may be possible in the future? Its still cheaper to pay a few hundred bucks here and there for parts than to buy new machine and finance hundreds of $$ every month for years. Our 440b just burned out a starter this last weekend, so I will be working on that soon. oh well. Its the machine I grew up on and started with. Still love it after all those years. I may have to consider a similar project as yours for mine since it is getting into the multi-decade age now.

Farmallh51

Good job SkidRoe! A couple hundred bucks to update some aging rubber seems worth it to me. As already mentioned, you know the machine in and out. Besides who knows what upgrades may be possible in the future? Its still cheaper to pay a few hundred bucks here and there for parts than to buy new machine and finance hundreds of $$ every month for years. Our 440b just burned out a starter this last weekend, so I will be working on that soon. oh well. Its the machine I grew up on and started with. Still love it after all those years. I may have to consider a similar project as yours for mine since it is getting into the multi-decade age now.
Good Job! These are Great machines that seem to be loved by those of us who own them, and not understood by most. My 440B my cousin now has and it is going strong, saw it just a week ago. My 450 has 600+ hrs on it and runs great. Worked my 450 all this week doing drainage, land clearing and driveway toping for a neighbor who hires me from time to time. $3000 I am in too for any of these older small machines, I would love to have a second machine!

tonyAdrian

Good Job! These are Great machines that seem to be loved by those of us who own them, and not understood by most. My 440B my cousin now has and it is going strong, saw it just a week ago. My 450 has 600+ hrs on it and runs great. Worked my 450 all this week doing drainage, land clearing and driveway toping for a neighbor who hires me from time to time. $3000 I am in too for any of these older small machines, I would love to have a second machine!
I replaced every hose on my 720 from Surplus Center. Significant savings.

OP
OP
SkidRoe

SkidRoe

I replaced every hose on my 720 from Surplus Center. Significant savings.
Agreed, it has to be one of the most cost-effective maintenance actions that you can do to an older machine.
I did my first big job with it since the hose replacement on Saturday. I don't know what I did to it, but I can't believe how much more smoothly the machine operates. It took a few minutes to get all of the air out of the loader circuits but once it was out, you would have swore it was a new machine.
I can't believe the difference the new hoses and a new idler puller made.
I fully agree with Farmall's assessment: these machines are truly underappreciated. It is impressive what you can get done with them. Sign me up for a $3000 machine!!
Cheers - SR