Engine Speed

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

I am a new owner of a S150 that I will be using mostly for snow removal. My question is what engine speed do most run their machines at? For example full throttle, 3/4?

rumrunner

I have a S185 2 speed, I run mine at 1550 to 1650 RPM. I have an 8 foot two way plow for snow removal. I find with these settings I am using just over 1 US gallon or about 5 liters per hour. Plenty of power for the hydraulics for the plow. I primarily plow country residential driveways ( gravel base ) so by keeping the speed down you get a smoother plow surface. After the first season plowing I can pick the speed up. I only use the 2 speed on long straight stretches.

Kermode

I have a S185 2 speed, I run mine at 1550 to 1650 RPM. I have an 8 foot two way plow for snow removal. I find with these settings I am using just over 1 US gallon or about 5 liters per hour. Plenty of power for the hydraulics for the plow. I primarily plow country residential driveways ( gravel base ) so by keeping the speed down you get a smoother plow surface. After the first season plowing I can pick the speed up. I only use the 2 speed on long straight stretches.
I have the same machine and I run it flat out plowing snow. 2200+ RPM and 2 spd all the time. The sooner I get done the sooner I can go on to the next lot.

OP
OP
B
I have the same machine and I run it flat out plowing snow. 2200+ RPM and 2 spd all the time. The sooner I get done the sooner I can go on to the next lot.
wish i had the 2-speed! so without a tach I assume full throttle is around 2200 RPM.

Kermode

wish i had the 2-speed! so without a tach I assume full throttle is around 2200 RPM.
Full throttle on my 2008 S185 2spd is 2800 RPM. At least that's what the computer says. I plow snow at full throttle in order to get done quickly and burn more fuel doing it. If you're not in a hurry, 3/4 throttle should be lots.

OP
OP
B
Full throttle on my 2008 S185 2spd is 2800 RPM. At least that's what the computer says. I plow snow at full throttle in order to get done quickly and burn more fuel doing it. If you're not in a hurry, 3/4 throttle should be lots.
Thanks, gives me a reference to where I am RPM wise, at 3/4 it seems to be happy there. At full throttle I sense there is a bit of whining coming from the pump I would assume, not sure if that is normal? Not very loud, but noticeable.

skidsteer.ca

Thanks, gives me a reference to where I am RPM wise, at 3/4 it seems to be happy there. At full throttle I sense there is a bit of whining coming from the pump I would assume, not sure if that is normal? Not very loud, but noticeable.
Bob that sound to slow to me and I belive the pumps are whining because of this.
I got a used 150 that had a loose thottle lever and the engine would not stay reved up and it seems to me the pumps are now noisy on that machine, I believe as a result of it being used too much with the engine at too low of a speed.
I think your being penny wise and pound foolish going that slow. Try it around 2400 or so
Skidsteer.ca

OP
OP
B
Bob that sound to slow to me and I belive the pumps are whining because of this.
I got a used 150 that had a loose thottle lever and the engine would not stay reved up and it seems to me the pumps are now noisy on that machine, I believe as a result of it being used too much with the engine at too low of a speed.
I think your being penny wise and pound foolish going that slow. Try it around 2400 or so
Skidsteer.ca
We had some snow overnight and ran it today with some extra juice... worked great! Thanks for the advice! Skidsteer.ca... was browsing on your site, used equipment page looks like its not working. In Sask here.

Latest posts