Engine oil?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

merlynr

I have a S185 with Kubota engine and was wondering about which oil to use that is both economical but with good protection qualities? This machine is not used daily or for profit but it still gets a workout when used.

Bobcatdan

Pick which ever 15w40 diesel engine oil you like, to me engine oil brand does not matter. Delvac or Rotella or even Napa store brand, as long as its the newest API rating, you are fine. Oil filters personally I like to stay OEM on anything I own.

OP
OP
M

merlynr

Pick which ever 15w40 diesel engine oil you like, to me engine oil brand does not matter. Delvac or Rotella or even Napa store brand, as long as its the newest API rating, you are fine. Oil filters personally I like to stay OEM on anything I own.
Thanks for the info bobcatdan. I was leaning towards Rotella oil and I have a bobcat filter in the box plus a fuel filter.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the info bobcatdan. I was leaning towards Rotella oil and I have a bobcat filter in the box plus a fuel filter.
As Dan said, ensure it is a diesel grade oil, it has detergents needed to clean the carbon from the engine.

OP
OP
M

merlynr

As Dan said, ensure it is a diesel grade oil, it has detergents needed to clean the carbon from the engine.
As it turns out I bought 5 gallons of Mobil Delvac which had a large rebate and I got the last pail of it.

Tigerhaze

At 9.5 QTS per oil change, you should be good until next time the rebate comes around.
I'm not saying any of this is pertinent to a newer Kubota diesel engine but thought this may be an interesting read that we shared on another equipment bulletin board; in particular the ZDDP issue is interesting (thanks to Jdenaris):
Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphates
widely used as an anti-wear agent in motor oils to protect heavily loaded parts, particularly
the valve train mechanisms (such as the camshaft and cam followers) from excessive wear. It
is also used as an anti-wear agent in hydraulic fluids and certain other products. ZDDP is also an
effective oxidation inhibitor. Oils containing ZDDP should not be used in engines that
employ silver alloy bearings. All car manufacturers before 2007 recommend the use of dialkyl
ZDDP in motor oils for passenger car service. ZDDP was the most commonly used additive in engine oil for sixty years and is a multi-functional additive which provides the wear protection in almost all engine oil
formulations. In very simple terms, ZDDP, when heated in the high temperatures of the engine,
decomposes to form an extremely thin layer of phosphorous glass over the engine surfaces (sometimes
referred to as "glassivation"). This new layer of glass is perpetually worn away and
replenished, protecting the metal surfaces from wearing away.

The problem for 2007 is that while ZDDP works to protect engines very nicely, it has
other performance features that have become "possibly" detrimental in modern automotive
engines to certain parts of the emissions and exhaust systems.

Oil companies have been cutting back on the use of Zn and P as anti-wear additives, and
turning to alternative zinc-free (ZF) additives and ash-less dispersants since Zn, P, and
sulfated ash have been found to be bad for catalytic converters (new low SAPS oils).
This reduction is a mandate issued by API, American Petroleum Institute, who is in charge
of developing standing standards for motor oils. The latest API SM standard for car oils calls
for a zinc and phosphorus content less than 0.08% to reduce sulfur, carbon monoxide, and
hydrocarbon emissions. As a result of this mandate, some motor oils now have as little as
0.05% zinc and phosphorus - including Shell Rotella T "Triple Protection" blend. Prior to
the new CJ-4 API standard for diesel oils, we found most of the CI-4 15w40 and 5w40 oils to have excellent levels of Zn and P. These new API guidelines do not need apply to "racing," "severe duty," or any motor oils
that do not carry an API "starburst" seal or clearly state for off-road-use only. Motor oils
meeting "Energy Conserving I or II" standards should be avoided as well as those with an API SM
classification, with it's lower Zn and P levels, which applies only to 0w20, 0w30, 5w20,
5w30, and 10w30 "ILSAC" GF-4 grades. Although having been more sensitive to emissions and
the environment than American standards, we find the European ACEA A3 and B3/B4
classifications, which place a cap on P levels at 0.10-0.12%, to be better in taking into
consideration wear and engine longevity while limiting emissions and protecting emissions
control devices. Although difficult to find, some manufacturers are continuing to produce their CI-4 oils,
some of which can be found at your local auto parts stores. Check the label. If it says CI-4 or
CI-4+ alone with no mention of a CJ-4, it's probably good.

From Mobil:

The active ingredient that you are talking about is phosphorus which is added thru a
component called ZDDP. For products that meet the new ILSAC GF-4 specification the
phosphorus levels for the oil must be less than 800 ppm phosphorus. The ILSAC level for
phosphorus has been reduced to protect the catalytic converter and other emission
protection equipment. The engine manufacturers are confident that this level of
phosphorus will protect both new and older engines. However, there are Mobil 1 products
which have a higher level of phosphorus (phos) and can be used in engines in racing or
high performance applications; see the attached

Mobil 1 Turbo-Diesel Truck - has 1100 PPMs of Zinc via ZDDP. Most diesel applications.
Applications requiring higher phosphorus (ZDDP), including engines with diesel particulate filters.
CJ-4, CI-4, CI-4 Plus, SM, SL
-------------------------------------------
I was using Shell Rotella T 15W-40 until I ran out of the old-formula oil. I'm now using
Tractor Supply "Traveller" 15W-40. It doesn't have the new CI-4 diesel rating for
automotive emmissions - so I assume it still has the antiwear additives.

I still prefer Rotella simply because I've been using it for years - but nobody in my area
stocks the old formula anymore. I can special order it - but that brings the price up.

The fact is - Shell does not post the amount of ZDDP in their tech-sheets for the new
Rotella. So, I wonder why? Regulations require it to be below .08% and I've read that
the new Rotella "Triple Protection" is at .05%.

Older engines need oil at over .1%. So, the new Shell Rotella T does not have it.

The Mobil website makes things much clearer - and plainly states that they no longer make
a diesel-oil rated for older engines EXCEPT their synthetic. Their Mobil 1 Turbo-Diesel
Truck oil has .11 % ZDDP. In the future, I might start using that oil.

Back to Rotella, the older formual Rotella T Mulitgrade has .12% ZDDP. The new
Rotella T Triple Protection only has .05% - going by what is posted at other sources. Shell
does not give the info.

Bobcatdan

I'm not saying any of this is pertinent to a newer Kubota diesel engine but thought this may be an interesting read that we shared on another equipment bulletin board; in particular the ZDDP issue is interesting (thanks to Jdenaris):
widely used as an anti-wear agent in motor oils to protect heavily loaded parts, particularly
the valve train mechanisms (such as the camshaft and cam followers) from excessive wear. It
is also used as an anti-wear agent in hydraulic fluids and certain other products. ZDDP is also an
effective oxidation inhibitor. Oils containing ZDDP should not be used in engines that
employ silver alloy bearings. All car manufacturers before 2007 recommend the use of dialkyl
ZDDP in motor oils for passenger car service. ZDDP was the most commonly used additive in engine oil for sixty years and is a multi-functional additive which provides the wear protection in almost all engine oil
formulations. In very simple terms, ZDDP, when heated in the high temperatures of the engine,
decomposes to form an extremely thin layer of phosphorous glass over the engine surfaces (sometimes
referred to as "glassivation"). This new layer of glass is perpetually worn away and

The problem for 2007 is that while ZDDP works to protect engines very nicely, it has
other performance features that have become "possibly" detrimental in modern automotive

Oil companies have been cutting back on the use of Zn and P as anti-wear additives, and
turning to alternative zinc-free (ZF) additives and ash-less dispersants since Zn, P, and
sulfated ash have been found to be bad for catalytic converters (new low SAPS oils).
This reduction is a mandate issued by API, American Petroleum Institute, who is in charge
of developing standing standards for motor oils. The latest API SM standard for car oils calls
for a zinc and phosphorus content less than 0.08% to reduce sulfur, carbon monoxide, and
hydrocarbon emissions. As a result of this mandate, some motor oils now have as little as
0.05% zinc and phosphorus - including Shell Rotella T "Triple Protection" blend. Prior to
the new CJ-4 API standard for diesel oils, we found most of the CI-4 15w40 and 5w40 oils to have excellent levels of Zn and P. These new API guidelines do not need apply to "racing," "severe duty," or any motor oils
that do not carry an API "starburst" seal or clearly state for off-road-use only. Motor oils
meeting "Energy Conserving I or II" standards should be avoided as well as those with an API SM
classification, with it's lower Zn and P levels, which applies only to 0w20, 0w30, 5w20,
5w30, and 10w30 "ILSAC" GF-4 grades. Although having been more sensitive to emissions and
classifications, which place a cap on P levels at 0.10-0.12%, to be better in taking into
consideration wear and engine longevity while limiting emissions and protecting emissions
control devices. Although difficult to find, some manufacturers are continuing to produce their CI-4 oils,
some of which can be found at your local auto parts stores. Check the label. If it says CI-4 or

From Mobil:

The active ingredient that you are talking about is phosphorus which is added thru a
component called ZDDP. For products that meet the new ILSAC GF-4 specification the
phosphorus levels for the oil must be less than 800 ppm phosphorus. The ILSAC level for
phosphorus has been reduced to protect the catalytic converter and other emission
phosphorus will protect both new and older engines. However, there are Mobil 1 products
which have a higher level of phosphorus (phos) and can be used in engines in racing or

Mobil 1 Turbo-Diesel Truck - has 1100 PPMs of Zinc via ZDDP. Most diesel applications.
Applications requiring higher phosphorus (ZDDP), including engines with diesel particulate filters.
I was using Shell Rotella T 15W-40 until I ran out of the old-formula oil. I'm now using
Tractor Supply "Traveller" 15W-40. It doesn't have the new CI-4 diesel rating for

I still prefer Rotella simply because I've been using it for years - but nobody in my area
stocks the old formula anymore. I can special order it - but that brings the price up.

The fact is - Shell does not post the amount of ZDDP in their tech-sheets for the new
Rotella. So, I wonder why? Regulations require it to be below .08% and I've read that

Older engines need oil at over .1%. So, the new Shell Rotella T does not have it.

The Mobil website makes things much clearer - and plainly states that they no longer make
a diesel-oil rated for older engines EXCEPT their synthetic. Their Mobil 1 Turbo-Diesel

Rotella T Triple Protection only has .05% - going by what is posted at other sources. Shell
does not give the info.
If you're that worried about ZDDP, dump a bottle of STP in. ZDDP is a main ingredient in STP.

Bobcatdan

If you're that worried about ZDDP, dump a bottle of STP in. ZDDP is a main ingredient in STP.
One other thing I will add. Bobcat did not upgrade the factory oil to the newest standard unit the interim tier 4 kubotas came out in I think '11. Up til then, the oil was one spec behind so it was not correct to use in my '08 service truck. When the new oil was released, in the info given to the dealers, it was 100% retroactive for all diesels bobcat has ever used. So based on that, I consider the new oil no issues for older engines.

bobcatguy

From Mobil:

does not give the info.
Interesting read on the different oils. I've ran Warren 15/40 for several years now but never looked into whether they reformulated. As for filters, I run WIX or NAPA (which is made by WIX)

1ofU

Interesting read on the different oils. I've ran Warren 15/40 for several years now but never looked into whether they reformulated. As for filters, I run WIX or NAPA (which is made by WIX)
in my bobcat & backhoe i run Rotella and Wix filters , can pick both up at local auto parts store , saves alot of time compared to having bobcat filters shipped to me .
Jess

Latest posts