Engine fires

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Cyclone Ranger

I see a lot of burned out skid steers. Why is this? What is failing that causes these fires? Does having the fuel tank above the engine contribute to the problem? What part does fuel line materials, routing and electric shutoffs play?

HarryN

I can only guess.... I've seen so much grease, oil, hyrdo fluid hose break, etc., that has leaked in the engine compartment that is never cleaned out. When I bought my used Bobcat there was inches thick of it all over the place. I soaked it in degreaser and power washed it out. Took 3 sessions to do it all. So with all that said, it would not take much (I would think) to get a fire started in there.

Tazza

Staff member
I can only guess.... I've seen so much grease, oil, hyrdo fluid hose break, etc., that has leaked in the engine compartment that is never cleaned out. When I bought my used Bobcat there was inches thick of it all over the place. I soaked it in degreaser and power washed it out. Took 3 sessions to do it all. So with all that said, it would not take much (I would think) to get a fire started in there.
Yep, not keeping them clean, build up of grass and grease, doesn't take muck for it to catch on the exhaust and then if it sets a fuel line on fire, there is pleanty of fuel to keep it going.

siduramaxde

Yep, not keeping them clean, build up of grass and grease, doesn't take muck for it to catch on the exhaust and then if it sets a fuel line on fire, there is pleanty of fuel to keep it going.
I keep my machine clean and mine still caught on fire. I got the fire out before major damage was done. I had a hydraulic hose burst and spray oil on the turbo. Hindsight, I should have just let the thing burn and took the insurance. I think other fires start with debris like sticks/grass getting into the engine compartment. Alot of the machines I see burnt look like they may have been used in a forestry environment. A fire extinguisher should be standard equipment on these machines. When Mine caught on fire the cab filled with smoke really quick.

OP
OP
C

Cyclone Ranger

I keep my machine clean and mine still caught on fire. I got the fire out before major damage was done. I had a hydraulic hose burst and spray oil on the turbo. Hindsight, I should have just let the thing burn and took the insurance. I think other fires start with debris like sticks/grass getting into the engine compartment. Alot of the machines I see burnt look like they may have been used in a forestry environment. A fire extinguisher should be standard equipment on these machines. When Mine caught on fire the cab filled with smoke really quick.
Thanks for the insight.

donald73d

Thanks for the insight.
I agree, I bought a used 843 and there were areas where i could scoop handfuls of greasy dirt from the engine area. I got a lot out, but am working on a hot water pressure washer to really do it right. I read somewhere that most car fires are oil related vs gas related.