electrical auxillary switch

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

little_fellow

Hi everyone-great forum. My question is , to wire in a new electrical switch to activate a 12 volt snow blower chute rotator motor on a snow blower for a 773 bobcat ( Boss ), should I wire it in right from the battery or is there a better place to tap into ?

nobull1

I attached mine to the starter terminal just so I would not have fool with it when removing the battery. Just make sure you use a relay and a wire from the on/off switch so it works with the on/off switch when in the on position(plus additional switch) and not live all the time. Also install a fuse in line as well. I am just about done hooking four additional switches to relays for this purpose on my 763.

mickey

I attached mine to the starter terminal just so I would not have fool with it when removing the battery. Just make sure you use a relay and a wire from the on/off switch so it works with the on/off switch when in the on position(plus additional switch) and not live all the time. Also install a fuse in line as well. I am just about done hooking four additional switches to relays for this purpose on my 763.
NoBull, Was one of the switches for a snow light? I currently plug mine in to the cig. lighter but it sometimes falls out and one time if forgot to un plug and battery went dead. I purcheased a bobcat switch but don't really know how I am going to wire it up. Any ideas?

bobbie-g

NoBull, Was one of the switches for a snow light? I currently plug mine in to the cig. lighter but it sometimes falls out and one time if forgot to un plug and battery went dead. I purcheased a bobcat switch but don't really know how I am going to wire it up. Any ideas?
Mickey, I have a 751 that at one time had some extra switches on the left handle for a snowblower. I'm pretty sure the Bobcat dealer installed them. They were in my way, so I removed the hose clamp holding them to the handle and stowed them under the cab floor in the chain case area. If you're interested, I can see if I can find out how they hook into the harness. This Bobcat has the 14 pin aux connector near the aux hydraulic connectors, probably all part of the same pkg. Lemme know if you want me to pursue this. :) ---RC

bobbie-g

Mickey, I have a 751 that at one time had some extra switches on the left handle for a snowblower. I'm pretty sure the Bobcat dealer installed them. They were in my way, so I removed the hose clamp holding them to the handle and stowed them under the cab floor in the chain case area. If you're interested, I can see if I can find out how they hook into the harness. This Bobcat has the 14 pin aux connector near the aux hydraulic connectors, probably all part of the same pkg. Lemme know if you want me to pursue this. :) ---RC
oops, I meant little_guy, not Mickey. :-( ---RC

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

oops, I meant little_guy, not Mickey. :-( ---RC
That`s Ok bobbie-g , I`ve got a pretty good idea about what kind of switch I want to use and thanks for your input . thanks nobull1 for now I know to use a relay and a fuse.Bobbie-g mentioned a hose clamped switch mounted to the control arm and I am curious to know where you Mr. nobull1 would mount this particular switch. Control stick switch does sound nice but I don`t particularly like the hose clamp mount . Any body else want to pitch in are more than welcome . Thanks

skidsteer.ca

That`s Ok bobbie-g , I`ve got a pretty good idea about what kind of switch I want to use and thanks for your input . thanks nobull1 for now I know to use a relay and a fuse.Bobbie-g mentioned a hose clamped switch mounted to the control arm and I am curious to know where you Mr. nobull1 would mount this particular switch. Control stick switch does sound nice but I don`t particularly like the hose clamp mount . Any body else want to pitch in are more than welcome . Thanks
I bought the switch for the left handle on a 773 G $115 Us and mounted it on the handle of my LS 160. (same diameter pipe) Nice convient location, good quality switches. Not cheap but looks factory. It gives you 2 momentary 3 way switches for your thumb and one each, non momenary 2 and 3way switches.
I wired the 2 momentary 3 ways switches (defector up, defector down and the other chute left and chute right) through spdt relays so the switch only had to handle the current to activate the relay. @ .05 of a amp instead of 8 or 10 amps. Relays are cheap and easy to change. Also the relays should be placed so your high ampeage current has the least distance to travel. Engine compartment would be good. This way the power comes from the battery and goes out a wires going down the loader boom.
Ones like these, the sockets lock together side by side so it keeps your wiring neat and is easy to mount.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-PA...fbQQitemZ400095758843QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo
Each have 5 wires, you use 4 of them.
One goes to ground #85,
The next get a hot from your switch to energize the relay, # 86.
When energized the relay closes the switch between #30 (hot from battey) and #87 which goes to your snow blower coils. 87a is the one not used.
Diagram here
Ken

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

I bought the switch for the left handle on a 773 G $115 Us and mounted it on the handle of my LS 160. (same diameter pipe) Nice convient location, good quality switches. Not cheap but looks factory. It gives you 2 momentary 3 way switches for your thumb and one each, non momenary 2 and 3way switches.
I wired the 2 momentary 3 ways switches (defector up, defector down and the other chute left and chute right) through spdt relays so the switch only had to handle the current to activate the relay. @ .05 of a amp instead of 8 or 10 amps. Relays are cheap and easy to change. Also the relays should be placed so your high ampeage current has the least distance to travel. Engine compartment would be good. This way the power comes from the battery and goes out a wires going down the loader boom.
Ones like these, the sockets lock together side by side so it keeps your wiring neat and is easy to mount.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-PACK-12V-DC-30A-40A-Relay-Socket-SPDT-Bosch-Style_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d2790c9fbQQitemZ400095758843QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo
Each have 5 wires, you use 4 of them.
One goes to ground #85,
The next get a hot from your switch to energize the relay, # 86.
When energized the relay closes the switch between #30 (hot from battey) and #87 which goes to your snow blower coils. 87a is the one not used.
Diagram here
Ken
Good stuff and skidsteer.ca , where would I buy this type of switch , at the dealer ? Also can you tell me what sise of fuse should I use ? I`m thinking on using a wiper motor to rotate the snow blower shute so probably 10 amp but a second opinion would be nice .

jerry

Good stuff and skidsteer.ca , where would I buy this type of switch , at the dealer ? Also can you tell me what sise of fuse should I use ? I`m thinking on using a wiper motor to rotate the snow blower shute so probably 10 amp but a second opinion would be nice .
I saw a discussion on this the other day I think on plowsite. The guy built a blower and tried a wiper motor for a rotater and not enough power so he used a power window motor from a junker.

skidsteer.ca

chute rotater built with window motor if the link works. http://videos.wittysparks.com/id/369111556/
Yes I bought the handle/swiches from a Bobcat dealer for a773 G series.
As for fuse, wire and relay rated amperage capacity, it all depends on the motor you use and what ts rated amp draw is.
You might want to consider a 1500lb electric winch. you can wind the cable around the drum in the center of the cable then hook one of each of the ends of the cable to opposite sides of the chute. So that as it pulls on one side of the chute it is winding cable out on the other side.
Ken

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

chute rotater built with window motor if the link works. http://videos.wittysparks.com/id/369111556/
Thanks for the You Tube link jerry . I checked it out . This is great because by opening this link you tube had quite a few more links with different aplications for snowblower shute rotation . Good stuff .

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

Thanks for the You Tube link jerry . I checked it out . This is great because by opening this link you tube had quite a few more links with different aplications for snowblower shute rotation . Good stuff .
Thanks for the info skidsteer.ca . AS for the switch , I like the idea and I noticed that the left hand joy stick on the 773 has a nice flat spot where the thump sort of rests while operating . This would be a nice spot for a momentary togle switch . Does anyone know if this can be done . The factory one seems a little pricy .Good stuff .

jerry

Thanks for the info skidsteer.ca . AS for the switch , I like the idea and I noticed that the left hand joy stick on the 773 has a nice flat spot where the thump sort of rests while operating . This would be a nice spot for a momentary togle switch . Does anyone know if this can be done . The factory one seems a little pricy .Good stuff .
I think on a bigger chute like yours Ken's winch plan would be simpler and work out well. A few turns of cable around that chute and it won't have to be real tight to get enough traction to turn the chute. And also the winch would come with a switch but it would have to be power in and out.

nobull1

I think on a bigger chute like yours Ken's winch plan would be simpler and work out well. A few turns of cable around that chute and it won't have to be real tight to get enough traction to turn the chute. And also the winch would come with a switch but it would have to be power in and out.
Sorry for the late reply. I was on vacation for the last few weeks and no computer access.
I do not have a switch for the snow light, it just comes on when the key is on. It is a strobe and draws almost no power and I figured it should be on anytime the machine is running. I have a switch for a fan behind my head for air/heat circulation. I have another switch for a heater on the other side of my back window for heat as well as air circulation. Another switch is for the 50 watt rear facing light. I also wired my Bobcat heater to a relay so I could control that from the ignition switch as well. On my machine you could leave the fan on as it was wired direct. All my switches are installed in the left ignition dash and are lighted as well to signify when the power is on when the ignition is turned on. I just removed the plastic panel and used a heated (red hot) box cutter blade and cut out the openings. They look just about factory and are hidden out of the way as well.

Brian

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

Sorry for the late reply. I was on vacation for the last few weeks and no computer access.
I do not have a switch for the snow light, it just comes on when the key is on. It is a strobe and draws almost no power and I figured it should be on anytime the machine is running. I have a switch for a fan behind my head for air/heat circulation. I have another switch for a heater on the other side of my back window for heat as well as air circulation. Another switch is for the 50 watt rear facing light. I also wired my Bobcat heater to a relay so I could control that from the ignition switch as well. On my machine you could leave the fan on as it was wired direct. All my switches are installed in the left ignition dash and are lighted as well to signify when the power is on when the ignition is turned on. I just removed the plastic panel and used a heated (red hot) box cutter blade and cut out the openings. They look just about factory and are hidden out of the way as well.

Brian
Sounds like a nice setup . I`m just wondering about the relay and the fuse , is there enough room in the ignition dash for them too ? Good stuff , thanks . Denis

nobull1

Sounds like a nice setup . I`m just wondering about the relay and the fuse , is there enough room in the ignition dash for them too ? Good stuff , thanks . Denis
No, there was just enough room to install the switches. I installed three switches and there is maybe room for two more.

Brian

skidsteer.ca

Toggle switches would be alot less but most won't last near as many cycles. As for the "bobcat" switch handle, I thought it was pricey until I began pricing them from www.controlgrips.com then suddenly they did not seem so bad.
Ken

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

Toggle switches would be alot less but most won't last near as many cycles. As for the "bobcat" switch handle, I thought it was pricey until I began pricing them from www.controlgrips.com then suddenly they did not seem so bad.
Ken
Your right ,$115.00 for all that you mentioned doesn`t seem that bad . thanks for the info . I am considering doing just that . I didn`t get much snow in my area this year so i didn`t get this project completed allthough everything else works on the snow blower and I was able to use it on my bobcat , The chute rotation is still on the agenda . I was considering a wiper motor but I hear a electric window motor is stonger . Can anyone confirm this . I am also considering a ( 1500lb ) 12 volt winch . Any feedback is welcome .