Drive Motor Covers 331D - they keep bending

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

melli

I even looked on a rental 331D, and sure enough, the drive motor covers were curled over on the bottom. When I got my baby a couple of months ago, I took them off, pounded them flat, and reinstalled them. Well, sure enough, after a few days of land clearing, they curled back up along the bottom again. I see a design flaw, in that the cover plates are not protect along the bottom edge, so any rocks you skip/slip off will eventually curl the bottoms up again. Again, I worry something will poke into the drive motor area and mess up the hydraulic lines/stubs/couplers and cause me a world of grief.... Has anyone permanently fixed this problem, or is it just user error? thx

Tazza

Staff member
The only way i can think of is to weld in thicker material to strengthen it up?
Just how thick is the steel? You may be worrying for nothing, it may be strong enought o prevent most things being able to puncture it.

7LBSSMALLIE

Just how thick is the steel? You may be worrying for nothing, it may be strong enought o prevent most things being able to puncture it.
yea they all do it .i would beef em up. and make it sealed . iget tired of the amount of build behind them

OP
OP
M

melli

I'd say around 3/32" Once I get it out of the field, I think I am going to tack weld the bottom of the plate to the track frame or if I can find some strips of thick metal, weld those onto the track frame below the covers, so they don't keep getting pried up... The last thing I need is my Italian drive motors $$$$$ getting banged up with debris...

7LBSSMALLIE

I'd say around 3/32" Once I get it out of the field, I think I am going to tack weld the bottom of the plate to the track frame or if I can find some strips of thick metal, weld those onto the track frame below the covers, so they don't keep getting pried up... The last thing I need is my Italian drive motors $$$$$ getting banged up with debris...
good thougt beef em, and dont neglect the outer hub oil,man say 1000. but youre talking what a quart of 90 and 15 mins,sun and planteries are not something you want to buy.

OP
OP
M

melli

good thougt beef em, and dont neglect the outer hub oil,man say 1000. but youre talking what a quart of 90 and 15 mins,sun and planteries are not something you want to buy.
Funny you should mention the gear oil...I had changed it when I got the machine about 2 mths ago...the most rancid smell I've encountered with oil...I was thinking I ought to have a respirator on. So much for the 'well' maintained machine I sold...

7LBSSMALLIE

Funny you should mention the gear oil...I had changed it when I got the machine about 2 mths ago...the most rancid smell I've encountered with oil...I was thinking I ought to have a respirator on. So much for the 'well' maintained machine I sold...
isnt that smell the worst, thing ever, had a cust. fire dept showed up three days in row looking for a gas leak. neigbours were pissed,

OP
OP
M

melli

its summer so im checking in as not often. did you cough it up. case closed etc
Not sure whom you are replying too...however, I decided to tack weld the bottom of cover plates to the undercarriage...just in two spots, so I can easily break the weld if need be...almost had to as I lost 'rabbit' speed on one side. It turns out pressure washing the hydraulic compartment isn't a good idea, electrical connections and all. Cleaned out connections, and rabbit speed was back to both sides...whew.

tttahoe1

Not sure whom you are replying too...however, I decided to tack weld the bottom of cover plates to the undercarriage...just in two spots, so I can easily break the weld if need be...almost had to as I lost 'rabbit' speed on one side. It turns out pressure washing the hydraulic compartment isn't a good idea, electrical connections and all. Cleaned out connections, and rabbit speed was back to both sides...whew.
Melli, Back with ya - man. Different subject. That 322 I am working on with the carrier pins also has bent covers. Anyone with a plasma cutter interested in some side money? I'll be first customer to purchase some 1/4" thick covers. I'll trace my covers, scan the drawings and email them to you. You can cut, bend the ears, box 'em up and ship 'em out once I pay you. Thoughts?

7LBSSMALLIE

Melli, Back with ya - man. Different subject. That 322 I am working on with the carrier pins also has bent covers. Anyone with a plasma cutter interested in some side money? I'll be first customer to purchase some 1/4" thick covers. I'll trace my covers, scan the drawings and email them to you. You can cut, bend the ears, box 'em up and ship 'em out once I pay you. Thoughts?
we done witht this boys?aint that complicated. close the post. to reiterate change outer hub oil often.7bucks botht siides> tack weld covers. should sum it up.

OP
OP
M

melli

we done witht this boys?aint that complicated. close the post. to reiterate change outer hub oil often.7bucks botht siides> tack weld covers. should sum it up.
tahoe - even with tack weld, they managed to snap the weld and bend, albeit, they lasted longer. So, I got two pieces of scrap 1/4" plate and welded them to the cover....doesn't cover to bolt holes, but they are beefy now. Will see how they hold up. What I see happening, is the bottom lip of cover snags on a rock, and like a tin can opener, they peel a bit, then another rock or two peels the cover some more. I'll post a pic later...

OP
OP
M

melli

tahoe - even with tack weld, they managed to snap the weld and bend, albeit, they lasted longer. So, I got two pieces of scrap 1/4" plate and welded them to the cover....doesn't cover to bolt holes, but they are beefy now. Will see how they hold up. What I see happening, is the bottom lip of cover snags on a rock, and like a tin can opener, they peel a bit, then another rock or two peels the cover some more. I'll post a pic later...
Wish I had gotten a larger piece of metal, but I think this will do...if I slide onto a rock with edge, the cover will not bend at bottom...would have to bend whole cover, which hasn't happened yet... 2013-03-16 19.02.06 (Large)

tttahoe1

Wish I had gotten a larger piece of metal, but I think this will do...if I slide onto a rock with edge, the cover will not bend at bottom...would have to bend whole cover, which hasn't happened yet...
Melli, I will probably copy what you did here - perhaps with full plate coverage. Looks good. Thank you for photo. Jim

OP
OP
M

melli

Melli, I will probably copy what you did here - perhaps with full plate coverage. Looks good. Thank you for photo. Jim
Well, I've thoroughly road-tested my armour plated motor covers and they are holding up very well. Driven through loose granite (usual cause of bending cover plates) these last few days, and all is good.

OP
OP
M

melli

Well, I've thoroughly road-tested my armour plated motor covers and they are holding up very well. Driven through loose granite (usual cause of bending cover plates) these last few days, and all is good.
Still flat, even after many hours on shot rock...