draining hyd fluid

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

treenipper

Wondering if anyone could help my locate hyd drain on my old 730 heavy duty bobcat,,,,,the book sends you to a non existence page number,,,,called whitestar bobcat dealer and they found the same thing..thanks

Tazza

Staff member
No machine has a magical drain plug for the hydraulics as far as i'm aware. If you want to do an oil change, the way i do it is to run the machine at idle, attach a hose to the aux hydraulics and operate it till it starts to get noisy and jitter. Shut down, re-fill. That gets as much oil out as possible.
If you have a contaminated system, especially water, i'd drain it, give it say 5-10 litres of oil, drive it around, lifitng/tilting to get the fresh oil through the system, drain it again. Repeat till its clean, then top off the tank.
Others have said this way is a bad idea as it runs the pumps dry, but it never gets dry, there is always oil residue. If you keep running it while its drained yes, it will be damaged.

Stone Hands

I have an 863 turbo model F. Just drained the Hyd Oil for a filter change. After dumping a gallon down the belly pan and onto my floor I found the trick. My oil tank is behind the seat in terms of height. the filter all the down in the bowels of the beast. I discontinued the small hose running into the bottom of the tank and drained out all the oil. Swap out the filter and fill with 5 gallons of fresh. The filter is as costly as the oil but I felt better changing out both at the same time. The shop book just said drop off the filter and spin a new one on. That is when gravity took hold and when that old filter came off so did a gallon of oil before I could get it put back on.

OldMachinist

I have an 863 turbo model F. Just drained the Hyd Oil for a filter change. After dumping a gallon down the belly pan and onto my floor I found the trick. My oil tank is behind the seat in terms of height. the filter all the down in the bowels of the beast. I discontinued the small hose running into the bottom of the tank and drained out all the oil. Swap out the filter and fill with 5 gallons of fresh. The filter is as costly as the oil but I felt better changing out both at the same time. The shop book just said drop off the filter and spin a new one on. That is when gravity took hold and when that old filter came off so did a gallon of oil before I could get it put back on.
If its like the 720 its behind the right front wheel
HydraulicDrain.jpg