Does anyone here rent their equipment?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

darbor1

I am curious what you guys think about renting your equipment to other contractors? Thanks! Rob

Tazza

Staff member
Be very careful, if it's someone you know well it should be ok, but some others can't give a toss anout your gear. They will use and abuse it. As they don't ay the repair bills, they are less likely to care of it hits things and possibly be slack on checking fluids etc.
Get something in writing before you hire it out too.

[email protected]

Be very careful, if it's someone you know well it should be ok, but some others can't give a toss anout your gear. They will use and abuse it. As they don't ay the repair bills, they are less likely to care of it hits things and possibly be slack on checking fluids etc.
Get something in writing before you hire it out too.
i don't even like letting people borrow my bosch hammer. i like to keep tight lipped about what i own because people ask me to loan it to them or offer to rent cheaper than home depot or any rental company for that matter. for me, it's just not worth it.

SkidRoe

I have rented my machine before, but it always comes with a complimentary operator. ;-)
Cheers,
SR

genericfarms

Not in this life time :) I do like the rent w/operater option though.
I have an S300 that is on a long-term rental. I control the maintenance and usually I have influence over who operates it. As far as renting to just anybody, NO. Dont do it. Unless you have complete control over everything. Cold starts with high idle, hot shut-downs, lack of grease, dirty fuel, etc, etc. All it takes is a few weeks of hard use and no greasing to start wearing pins. I have over 4000 hours on my machine and its as good as new, virtually no wear, other than scuffed paint.

mahans7

I have an S300 that is on a long-term rental. I control the maintenance and usually I have influence over who operates it. As far as renting to just anybody, NO. Dont do it. Unless you have complete control over everything. Cold starts with high idle, hot shut-downs, lack of grease, dirty fuel, etc, etc. All it takes is a few weeks of hard use and no greasing to start wearing pins. I have over 4000 hours on my machine and its as good as new, virtually no wear, other than scuffed paint.
I just bought my first Bobcat, a 743, 3 weeks ago. My wife posted it on facebook because it was "cute". Had 4 or 5 people that want to borrow(i.e. rent it for free) it and I hadn't even had it FOR 24 HOURS. I do like the idea of a complimentary operator or having full control over its use.