disengaging engine from wheels to pull bobcat

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JDillberger

My 720 started screaming today. The shaft on the hydrostatic pump has stripped where it enters the coupler on the engine. Unfortunately, this happened with the machine in a ravine in the mud. I would like to pull it out and to a dry place to work on it, but don't know how to get the wheels disengaged from the engine so it will roll. Anybody know how to do this?

OldMachinist

There is no easy way to do it. The oil still has to flow through the wheel motors when they turn. You can move it very slowly by turning the key on, seat bar down, hit the push to operate button to unlock the brake and hold the steering levers towards the direction you want to pull it. The wheels will roll slowly doing it this way but since you're in mud it mostly going be just dragging it. I've had to do this a couple of times, once when I was just plain stuck in a creek bed and another time when I broke down out in a field and wanted to winch it up on a trailer to get it home.

mrfixitpaul

There is no easy way to do it. The oil still has to flow through the wheel motors when they turn. You can move it very slowly by turning the key on, seat bar down, hit the push to operate button to unlock the brake and hold the steering levers towards the direction you want to pull it. The wheels will roll slowly doing it this way but since you're in mud it mostly going be just dragging it. I've had to do this a couple of times, once when I was just plain stuck in a creek bed and another time when I broke down out in a field and wanted to winch it up on a trailer to get it home.
The 720 won't have any push to operate button or any of the fancy electronics, just release the parking brake and drag it...holding the levers like OM says may help and certainly won't hurt the possibility of the wheels rolling.

Fishfiles

The 720 won't have any push to operate button or any of the fancy electronics, just release the parking brake and drag it...holding the levers like OM says may help and certainly won't hurt the possibility of the wheels rolling.
Call a rolloff wrecker to move it for you ----------------- if the coupler is stripped as you say then using the starter as mentioned won't help any --------I find it does help to hold the steering levers in the engaged position when trying to move a machine with a dead motor as it will let oil bypass -------------- another cool thing we use to do was to pull start a Bobcat , by dragging or pulling it with the ignition on and the levers engaged , it helps to be on a surface where the tires won't slip