digging question.....

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

LIMaint

I just looked at a job, where a homeowner request that I clear a 100 x 50 area in his back yard. it doesn't look too bad. It would take about a day to clear the trees and a couple of hours to chip them, but he wants me to dig out about 2 feet of dirt out under it, because this area is about 5 feet higher than his patio area.He wants to use this area and doesnt want his children to get hurt if they fall.I'm trying to figure out the time involved in doing this with a Cat 236 with a 72inch bucket. It may save time and money by renting an additional loader. does anyone have any thoughts on the time period to dig this out with one skid steer? I still have to figure out what to do with the dirt. There is still a wooded area behind the home, so pushing the dirt back there could be a pain, too tight to get through with the skid steer. Thanks for the help....

frank123

Three words: Time and Materials.
If it's out of the scope of your usual routine and you'll need to hire trucks and possibly another machine and operator, I wouldn't do it any other way. 2 feet off of 5000 sq ft is 370 yd of material you need to remove (if my math is correct) plus fighting with stumps and roots. Just my 2¢.
Frank

farmboy55

Three words: Time and Materials.
If it's out of the scope of your usual routine and you'll need to hire trucks and possibly another machine and operator, I wouldn't do it any other way. 2 feet off of 5000 sq ft is 370 yd of material you need to remove (if my math is correct) plus fighting with stumps and roots. Just my 2¢.
Frank
Time & Material is the way I would do it. The amount of time is going to depend on where you put the material.
From what I'm getting, I would go in and remove all trees and ruff stuff. Then the dirt work.

Fishfiles

I would think if you are going to rent something , rent a excavator and dig it to grade then move the dirt with your loader

lgammon

I would think if you are going to rent something , rent a excavator and dig it to grade then move the dirt with your loader
i think that you should use what you got, that is the one that needs to be paying for itself not the rental yards machine, the cat will do it just charge time. i would really try to keep the material onsite if at all possable. that is 30 some truck loads of dirt. it can be done just may take a couple of days. any time i get a job that i can work on for more than 3-4 hours i am really happy, and wouldn't try to give that money away lynn