Digging footings - inside corners - need help

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

KarlB

Not with a mini-ex, but a 909 attachment on a 743. Yes, the lack of 360 swivel and the overall size is not helping. Digging footings for a 22' x 30' garage, which would be easy, except that I have between 1 and 2.5 feet of space outside 3 of the 4 walls. This means my machine is basically digging while sitting inside the space. Any ideas how to handle the corners, well basically the last 1/3 of the wall, leading into a corner? If needed, I can rent a mini-ex (my local guy has Kubota KX41 and KX71), but I'm not sure it will help me that much more to be worth the cost. I guess there is always the pick and shovel. :( Thanks, ...karl (with apologies for the formatting...iPads and this forum still don't play nice together)

OP
OP
K

KarlB

Replying to myself. I wound up renting a mini-ex (Kubota KX41, as that is what my local rentall has). I never could have done the corners with the 909 backhoe on my 743. It was a good thing I did it as well. I blew a seal on the left swing cylinder of the 909, spraying out oil. Gotta say, a mini-ex beats a bobcat attachment. Excavation speed is at least 50% faster. ...karl (again apologies for the formatting)

Tazza

Staff member
Replying to myself. I wound up renting a mini-ex (Kubota KX41, as that is what my local rentall has). I never could have done the corners with the 909 backhoe on my 743. It was a good thing I did it as well. I blew a seal on the left swing cylinder of the 909, spraying out oil. Gotta say, a mini-ex beats a bobcat attachment. Excavation speed is at least 50% faster. ...karl (again apologies for the formatting)
There sure are times you can't get a job done without one. THankfully i have managed to get away with mine for the jobs i have done, that and digging the last little bit by hand.
You can get in close and swing the bucket/arm to one side to get close, but how do you dump? This is where the mini just turns and dumps.
Glad you got it done, not so good about the cylinder leak, just about to look at that thread now :)