diesel tank plug or bushing

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Stephend

i have a 1999, 751 skid steer. the fuel tank has bushing or plug at the bottom to drain the tank. The chain case also has a bushing or plug to drain. Each is protected by a plate over the bottom to keep the plug from being knocked out by a stick or something on rough ground. My plate fell off which i did not notice and a stick dislodged the bushing or plug. i managed to get it back to the house before i lost all the fuel. I order a new plug but they sent the wrong size. i was in pinch so i went to the local hardware store and bought a rubber plug with bolt throught the center when tighten would seal. My question: will this cause a problem in the long run. the tank is plastic and i am concerned at over time the pressure will slit the hole. i tighten the plug pretty tight. any thought or ideas if this is okay for the long haul? Thanks stephen

Tazza

Staff member
The plug from the dealer should have been rite..... The chain case and fuel tank use the same sized plug.
I see no reason why what you installed won't work, the only thing i would be concerned with is the rubber it was made of. I just don't know what the long term effects of being submerged in fuel.

OP
OP
S

Stephend

Thank you for your reply. it was my understanding that both plugs were the same size. when i went to install the new plug it was no where near a fit. i felt around the drain plug hole and it seemed to have a lip or extra thickness around the hole as if fit were made that way. i do not think it was over sized. I am going to check with the dealer and see if they know what is going on. thanks for suggestion about the compatiblity of material with diesel. i will check with the hardware store to see what the plug was made of. thanks again for taking the time to reply to my post.

HarryN

Thank you for your reply. it was my understanding that both plugs were the same size. when i went to install the new plug it was no where near a fit. i felt around the drain plug hole and it seemed to have a lip or extra thickness around the hole as if fit were made that way. i do not think it was over sized. I am going to check with the dealer and see if they know what is going on. thanks for suggestion about the compatiblity of material with diesel. i will check with the hardware store to see what the plug was made of. thanks again for taking the time to reply to my post.
I have a 1999 763. I think the plugs are the same size too. I bought two to keep on hand, Just in case. Have to say, it is another stupid design.... what are they thinking!! It's a 2 piece plug. You push the rubber plug into the hole, then push the metal pin into the hole in the plug to expand the rubber to seal the hole...... http://s128.photobucket.com/user/HarryHarley/media/Bobcat%20763/BobcatDrainPlug-1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=9

Tazza

Staff member
I have a 1999 763. I think the plugs are the same size too. I bought two to keep on hand, Just in case. Have to say, it is another stupid design.... what are they thinking!! It's a 2 piece plug. You push the rubber plug into the hole, then push the metal pin into the hole in the plug to expand the rubber to seal the hole...... http://s128.photobucket.com/user/HarryHarley/media/Bobcat%20763/BobcatDrainPlug-1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=9
It isn't an awesome design, but it seems to work and not leak, that has always amazed me actually.

HarryN

It isn't an awesome design, but it seems to work and not leak, that has always amazed me actually.
Ya think I'd remember how to post pictures. I tried doing it thru FireFox and just the URL shows up. So I went back to IE and it work fine from there. Sorry about that....so here's the picture of the drain plug.
 photo BobcatDrainPlug-1.jpg

OP
OP
S

Stephend

Ya think I'd remember how to post pictures. I tried doing it thru FireFox and just the URL shows up. So I went back to IE and it work fine from there. Sorry about that....so here's the picture of the drain plug.
After reading the replies I am little concern. first i didnot consider the compatiblity of material when came up with my first fix. so now i am concern the plug will leak or worse pop out when i am in the deep woods, .5 miles as the crow flies from the house. Second when the plug pop out the first time i found the metal plug on the ground and it appeared to be a larger metal plug and not realizing it was supposed to have a rubber bushing i tried to re-install it in the hole. i managed to push the metal plug into the tank. i used a regular stopped to determine the size of the hole. I have not heard back from the parts department yet and there two people saying that the chain case and fuel tank have the same size hole. i am concern i have tank that someone resized the hole and i will not be able to find a permenate solution for my problem. Any suggests? Thanks in advance for any information or suggestions. Stephen

antfarmer2

After reading the replies I am little concern. first i didnot consider the compatiblity of material when came up with my first fix. so now i am concern the plug will leak or worse pop out when i am in the deep woods, .5 miles as the crow flies from the house. Second when the plug pop out the first time i found the metal plug on the ground and it appeared to be a larger metal plug and not realizing it was supposed to have a rubber bushing i tried to re-install it in the hole. i managed to push the metal plug into the tank. i used a regular stopped to determine the size of the hole. I have not heard back from the parts department yet and there two people saying that the chain case and fuel tank have the same size hole. i am concern i have tank that someone resized the hole and i will not be able to find a permenate solution for my problem. Any suggests? Thanks in advance for any information or suggestions. Stephen
Go back to the hardware store and buy another plug and put it in a can with fuel keep a eye on it and see what it does early warning lol

Tazza

Staff member
Go back to the hardware store and buy another plug and put it in a can with fuel keep a eye on it and see what it does early warning lol
That's actually not a bad idea.
My dad knows a guy that used to own a rubber factory, he said the best way to work out if the rubber was nitrile is to get a jar and put the test piece and petrol in the jar. If the rubber expands, it's not and will fail after being exposed to oil/fuel.

OP
OP
S

Stephend

That's actually not a bad idea.
My dad knows a guy that used to own a rubber factory, he said the best way to work out if the rubber was nitrile is to get a jar and put the test piece and petrol in the jar. If the rubber expands, it's not and will fail after being exposed to oil/fuel.
Great suggestion! Many thanks.