Diesel getting into engine oil

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rumrunner

Ok..so there is some sort of problem. Deutz 1011f engine in a 863. Fres oil change, because the engine oil level was high. Ran the machine around for about 8 hours, everything seemed fine. Checked the oil level this morning, and the oil level is high again. Probably up about 2 quarts. I am assuming it is diesel fuel getting into the engine oil. What would cause this? Where would the leak or blow by come from? Thanks a million. Looks like I got some repairs to do.

coreya3212

There are better people out here to help, but in my mind, if a engine is "making oil volume" it would be diesel getting in through bad piston rings, or water getting in through a bad gasket or a crack. I guess if its oil cooled, you can check other levels and maybe deduct from there to find the source, but pretty tough if it is diesel fuel. Good Luck.

Tazza

Staff member
There are better people out here to help, but in my mind, if a engine is "making oil volume" it would be diesel getting in through bad piston rings, or water getting in through a bad gasket or a crack. I guess if its oil cooled, you can check other levels and maybe deduct from there to find the source, but pretty tough if it is diesel fuel. Good Luck.
Hopefully its just a bad lift pump, the diaphragm splits and lets fuel leak into the engine.

coreya3212

Hopefully its just a bad lift pump, the diaphragm splits and lets fuel leak into the engine.
I cant believe I didnt think of that one Tazza. Had a 52 Fordson Major making oil and that was the reason. Shame on me.

Tazza

Staff member
I cant believe I didnt think of that one Tazza. Had a 52 Fordson Major making oil and that was the reason. Shame on me.
LOL its only an idea, the deutz from memory have a different injection pump setup so it could be leaking out of a pump too. I *think* they have 4 pumps, one per cylinder, its been a few years since i saw one of those oil cooled beasties and when i did, it was a little burnt.

OP
OP
R

rumrunner

LOL its only an idea, the deutz from memory have a different injection pump setup so it could be leaking out of a pump too. I *think* they have 4 pumps, one per cylinder, its been a few years since i saw one of those oil cooled beasties and when i did, it was a little burnt.
OK .. you guys are on the right trail. I called Deutz service..they suggested the lift pump (supply pump). They also said it could be one 9 or more ) of the injector pumps..and they also said that it could be a bad spray pattern on the nozzels. They strongly suggested I start by changine the fuel pump.

Tazza

Staff member
OK .. you guys are on the right trail. I called Deutz service..they suggested the lift pump (supply pump). They also said it could be one 9 or more ) of the injector pumps..and they also said that it could be a bad spray pattern on the nozzels. They strongly suggested I start by changine the fuel pump.
That is where i would start too

OP
OP
R

rumrunner

That is where i would start too
I replaced the fuel pump today. So far so good, but I only ran it for about 1/2 hour. When I took the old pump off, the pump shaft was worn on one side. Fuel also leaked down the shaft when I stood it on end. I am really hoping this was the problem, as it was a very easy inexpensive repair. I will let you know how it goes after I run it around this weekend. Thanks again for all the help.

OP
OP
R

rumrunner

I replaced the fuel pump today. So far so good, but I only ran it for about 1/2 hour. When I took the old pump off, the pump shaft was worn on one side. Fuel also leaked down the shaft when I stood it on end. I am really hoping this was the problem, as it was a very easy inexpensive repair. I will let you know how it goes after I run it around this weekend. Thanks again for all the help.
Running like a top.. Problem solved..yeehaw !!!

Fishfiles

Excellent! glad it was a simple fix.
It too late for you but a good troubleshoot for this is to remove the lift pump and have the fuel lines still hooked up to the pump , pump the bulb by hand while you push in on the shaft and you will see it leak out if it's bad --------- if you have a vaccumm tester the you can leave the pump on , disconect the hoses , plug one hose and connect to the other fitting with the tester , pull a vaccumm and see if it will hold

OP
OP
R

rumrunner

It too late for you but a good troubleshoot for this is to remove the lift pump and have the fuel lines still hooked up to the pump , pump the bulb by hand while you push in on the shaft and you will see it leak out if it's bad --------- if you have a vaccumm tester the you can leave the pump on , disconect the hoses , plug one hose and connect to the other fitting with the tester , pull a vaccumm and see if it will hold
Fish..thanks for the info. Is there a way to test to see if an injector pump is leaking? My problem is solved, but I was told that if it had not have been the fuel pump , it might be a leaking injector.

Tazza

Staff member
Fish..thanks for the info. Is there a way to test to see if an injector pump is leaking? My problem is solved, but I was told that if it had not have been the fuel pump , it might be a leaking injector.
To test an injector you will need to pull it out and have it tested. You can do it by hooking it to the pump outside the engine and looking at the tip. The spray should be even without any droplets of fuel appearing in the tip on the injector.

OP
OP
R

rumrunner

To test an injector you will need to pull it out and have it tested. You can do it by hooking it to the pump outside the engine and looking at the tip. The spray should be even without any droplets of fuel appearing in the tip on the injector.
Thanks for that Tazza. My question was in relation to the injector pump. There is 4 pumps, I was told that they, on occasion, develop a leak. I was wondering how one would test those? How is the weather down under? Spring has arrived in northern Canada.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for that Tazza. My question was in relation to the injector pump. There is 4 pumps, I was told that they, on occasion, develop a leak. I was wondering how one would test those? How is the weather down under? Spring has arrived in northern Canada.
I don't know how the pump can be tested, sorry. Other than taking it to a shop.
The weather isn't bad, its cooling down a little. Getting a bit of rain too, so its not all bad.
I hope the ground is starting to thaw up there!

Land-Tech

I don't know how the pump can be tested, sorry. Other than taking it to a shop.
The weather isn't bad, its cooling down a little. Getting a bit of rain too, so its not all bad.
I hope the ground is starting to thaw up there!
Unless you have a problem with the way the engine runs, I would not mess with pulling the injector pump.I would think that if the pump was leaking enough to put that much fuel in your oil you would notice it in the way it ran.The lift pump leaking would be more probable. And from you previous post, replacing the lift pump was the cure.
The injectoin pumps need shims and and a special pin that you insert into the block. The cylinder that the pump is feeding should be at BDC to have the cam in the right position.There is a difference in the compensating gasket measurements between the B/FL 1011 and the B/FM 1011 so you want to make what model you have.
From looking at the repair manual , It's quite a multistep procedure with a lot of special tools and measurementsn and you should find a shop that can test the pump for leakage before taking anything apart.It can be done if you prep.
If you you do decide to pull the pumps ,I would be curious to see how it works out . I can provide you with the manual procedure but no practical experience.Since I hac]ve two of these engines, I would really like to know if it's big deal to do. just in case. Scott

OP
OP
R

rumrunner

Unless you have a problem with the way the engine runs, I would not mess with pulling the injector pump.I would think that if the pump was leaking enough to put that much fuel in your oil you would notice it in the way it ran.The lift pump leaking would be more probable. And from you previous post, replacing the lift pump was the cure.
The injectoin pumps need shims and and a special pin that you insert into the block. The cylinder that the pump is feeding should be at BDC to have the cam in the right position.There is a difference in the compensating gasket measurements between the B/FL 1011 and the B/FM 1011 so you want to make what model you have.
From looking at the repair manual , It's quite a multistep procedure with a lot of special tools and measurementsn and you should find a shop that can test the pump for leakage before taking anything apart.It can be done if you prep.
If you you do decide to pull the pumps ,I would be curious to see how it works out . I can provide you with the manual procedure but no practical experience.Since I hac]ve two of these engines, I would really like to know if it's big deal to do. just in case. Scott
L-T. Thanks for all of that info. I have no intention of messing with the injector pumps. Even less desire to do so now that you have posted the procedure for R & I on one of these. I have put on about 15 hours since the replacement of the lift pump, and the "old gal" is running like a charm. It is still cold here, -10C, and it starts with no problems. I am not plugging it in.