diesel added to hydraulic reservoir

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bluffcam

Its a long story but i am helping out a friend who has had a tough time. She has what is called a trackmaster 85 made by LMC corp., it has a Kubota V3300 and is a tracked. Uses it to plow a long driveway. The machine has two very similiar tanks on each side of the machine, one is diesel fuel and the other is labeled hydraulic fluid. It was discovered after the winter that the boyfriend of the daughter who was plowing the road filled both tanks with diesel over the winter. I have done some web searching for info on this machine and it appears very sparse. No clues on service, parts, or operating manuals.
Looking for any insight into how to minimize damage from having diesel in hydraulic fluid, i was considering draining reservoir and running for an hour and draining and filling again.
Also case and bobcat both use 10w30 for hydraulic fluid, does anyone know what the spec is for this Trackmaster 85?

Tazza

Staff member
I would do as you said, drain the oil, run then drain again. Diesel is an oil, it lubricates the internals of the injector pump. You can add diesel to engine oil to clean the internals. Its not a good idea to run it like this too long though!
Drain the oil a few times and you should be good to go, i'd swap the filters too. I don't know what oil it should run, but i would suspect 10W30 grade, as it will be hydrostatic it needs the heavier weight oil.