Did i blow something?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JWSKID1

So i was a little stuck in a sinkhole trying to get out with my gehl turbo diesel skid and for some reason the throttle got stuck it just revved like crazy and tons of bad smelling smoke came out the exhaust for 15 seconds then the engine died. I tried restarting it but it was still hot and sounded pretty bad. Actually getting some help to get it unstuck without running it but can someone give me an idea of all the things that could have happened to the engine etc and possible costs involved? I have no experience with diesels. Thanks

OP
OP
J

JWSKID1

Also the crazy thing is the throttle didnt seem stuck in the cabin and the ignition key would not shut it off, there was no way to cut the engine off

farmshop

Also the crazy thing is the throttle didnt seem stuck in the cabin and the ignition key would not shut it off, there was no way to cut the engine off
Were you sitting at a steep angle? Could be a bad turbo dumping oil. Almost sounds like a mini run away situation. I would check engine oil level before going to far

OP
OP
J

JWSKID1

Were you sitting at a steep angle? Could be a bad turbo dumping oil. Almost sounds like a mini run away situation. I would check engine oil level before going to far
I was actually sitting at a steep angle with engine low in hole and this happened without any warning or real stress on wheels or hydraulics, can you elaborate? When i came back to it after the smokescreen dissipated i looked in engine bay expecting the worst but belt was intact, engine smoking somewhat from oil fill but oil check rod wasnt even hot and oil was in there.

OP
OP
J

JWSKID1

I was actually sitting at a steep angle with engine low in hole and this happened without any warning or real stress on wheels or hydraulics, can you elaborate? When i came back to it after the smokescreen dissipated i looked in engine bay expecting the worst but belt was intact, engine smoking somewhat from oil fill but oil check rod wasnt even hot and oil was in there.
It was more of a major runaway diesel judging by youtube, it starts but is loud and smokes, what should be checked besides oil? How would you know if the turbo is bad? Had no problems in past.

Tazza

Staff member
It was more of a major runaway diesel judging by youtube, it starts but is loud and smokes, what should be checked besides oil? How would you know if the turbo is bad? Had no problems in past.
Check the oil level first, if it went too far, you ran out of oil and potentially did bearing damage.
If you pull the air intake hose on the turbo, check for oil and shaft play on the compressor wheel.