detent mode

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

scsindust

What exactly is detent mode? The manual explains it as a float mode, but I don't understand how it works. Can someone explain exaclty how it works?

Tazza

Staff member
Ok, i *think* float mode allows the lift arms to *float* over rough surfaces without digging in, great if you want to remove say snow from a driveway without removing masses of dirt at the same time. The detent it refers to it locking in to position, you push your toe down on the lift arm peddle and it will click and hold in this position.
If i'm wrong do let me know, as this is what i have figured it does i have never used it before and the machine i have with it doesn't lock into position so i can't even test it.....

OP
OP
S

scsindust

Ok, i *think* float mode allows the lift arms to *float* over rough surfaces without digging in, great if you want to remove say snow from a driveway without removing masses of dirt at the same time. The detent it refers to it locking in to position, you push your toe down on the lift arm peddle and it will click and hold in this position.
If i'm wrong do let me know, as this is what i have figured it does i have never used it before and the machine i have with it doesn't lock into position so i can't even test it.....
How do you get into float mode?

OP
OP
S

scsindust

It depends on the machine, usualy you push your left heel down and it will lock in, what machine do you have? not all of them have this feature.
753 - what do you mean when you say left heel down and it will lock in? Will the peddle actually lock in place?

Tazza

Staff member
753 - what do you mean when you say left heel down and it will lock in? Will the peddle actually lock in place?
sorry sorry, i meant toe.
It should lock in when you push the lift arms all the way down, you should feel a thump in the peddle and it should stay down. This all depends IF your machine does indeed have a detent on that control.

OP
OP
S

scsindust

sorry sorry, i meant toe.
It should lock in when you push the lift arms all the way down, you should feel a thump in the peddle and it should stay down. This all depends IF your machine does indeed have a detent on that control.
I'll have to try it. Now, what is it supposed to do? Is it supposed to allow the arms to move up or down freely? Thanks!

Tazza

Staff member
I'll have to try it. Now, what is it supposed to do? Is it supposed to allow the arms to move up or down freely? Thanks!
I believe so, but as i have never tried it i can't be 100% sure.
From what i have heard other users say i think that is what it does, allows the arms to follow un-even ground.

bobbie-g

I believe so, but as i have never tried it i can't be 100% sure.
From what i have heard other users say i think that is what it does, allows the arms to follow un-even ground.
Jamie, as usual, Taz probably has it right. I have a 751 with the detent, or floating arm feature. I push my left toe down and the lift arms go down against the stops. Push my toe further down (with the machine trying to continue to push the arms down, but they're against the stops), and I can feel a click and the hydraulic pump quits groaning. Now the hydraulic pressure is not present on the lift arms, and only the weight of the arms is holding them down. The bucket is "floating" now. The manual sez to only use this feature when you're backing up, presumably the bucket would tend to catch and dig in if you were going forward. So with the toe locked down, and the lift arms in the float position, you can angle the bucket at about a 45 degree down angle with the right toe. Now back up, and you will see the bucket "float" over an uneven surface. This really works slick for smoothing and grading dirt or gravel to get a nice even surface. It works even better if you put a thousand pound rock in the bucket then do your grading. A trick I learned is that I tip the bucket up with my right foot and then drive forward while leaving the lift arms in the float position. This allows me to quickly move forward, then take another leveling pass by just tipping the bucket down with my right foot. It's a slick feature. I noticed recently that there has been some discussion on one of these threads about a sticky or nonfunctional detent. Does yours seem to work as I outlined? I'm sure the 753 has that feature. Hope this helps. --- Bob

OP
OP
S

scsindust

Jamie, as usual, Taz probably has it right. I have a 751 with the detent, or floating arm feature. I push my left toe down and the lift arms go down against the stops. Push my toe further down (with the machine trying to continue to push the arms down, but they're against the stops), and I can feel a click and the hydraulic pump quits groaning. Now the hydraulic pressure is not present on the lift arms, and only the weight of the arms is holding them down. The bucket is "floating" now. The manual sez to only use this feature when you're backing up, presumably the bucket would tend to catch and dig in if you were going forward. So with the toe locked down, and the lift arms in the float position, you can angle the bucket at about a 45 degree down angle with the right toe. Now back up, and you will see the bucket "float" over an uneven surface. This really works slick for smoothing and grading dirt or gravel to get a nice even surface. It works even better if you put a thousand pound rock in the bucket then do your grading. A trick I learned is that I tip the bucket up with my right foot and then drive forward while leaving the lift arms in the float position. This allows me to quickly move forward, then take another leveling pass by just tipping the bucket down with my right foot. It's a slick feature. I noticed recently that there has been some discussion on one of these threads about a sticky or nonfunctional detent. Does yours seem to work as I outlined? I'm sure the 753 has that feature. Hope this helps. --- Bob
YES!! IT WORKS! I tried it yesterday, and it works. You really have to hold that petal down for a while before you can click it into place. Thank you all for helping me realize I had this feature.

goodtech

YES!! IT WORKS! I tried it yesterday, and it works. You really have to hold that petal down for a while before you can click it into place. Thank you all for helping me realize I had this feature.
You May have to take your sool out of your valve and clean up your detent balls, they sound like they are a little sticky which normal for them at those amount of hrs, or they may just be worn out also. You sound beable just to push on it and it should lock right away.

Tazza

Staff member
You May have to take your sool out of your valve and clean up your detent balls, they sound like they are a little sticky which normal for them at those amount of hrs, or they may just be worn out also. You sound beable just to push on it and it should lock right away.
I think mine are worn, i can get it to *click* in but then it pops back out, but i'm going to sell this machine and i really don't want to have to remove the engine so i can get good access to the spool to change the balls to fix it. But yes, it does work too :)