degreasing?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

1816case

sure tell I'm the rookie.. last 3 post questions are mine. I took the case 1816 through car wash when bought it.. but now that I got the engine out for replacing- and I got the operators floor out to take battery out.. The whole well area as well as down low under hyro stuff is 'years' of grease/dirt/ and who knows what else. I bet the dried grease is 1/4" thick covering total bottom. And not easy to really get at well. How do I go about cleaning this? I know I can get a lot with putty knife but really would like a 'good' cleaning as I might paint this summer. Do I get the new power plant in and running then transport it somewhere? if so.. who can clean these things up with so much grease and dirt? The outside isn't bad but just lower inside areas.

Tazza

Staff member
If there is that much crud in there get down and dirty with a scraper and a bucket. Scrape up all you can, then pressure wash whatever is left.
I have had some filthy machines, my dad spent time with a scraper and bucket gathering up all he could. I then got into it with degreaser or diesel then a water blaster to get as much out as i could.

antfarmer2

If there is that much crud in there get down and dirty with a scraper and a bucket. Scrape up all you can, then pressure wash whatever is left.
I have had some filthy machines, my dad spent time with a scraper and bucket gathering up all he could. I then got into it with degreaser or diesel then a water blaster to get as much out as i could.
I broke down and bought a 3200 psi power washer have found many more uses for it should have bought one years ago just becareful with the little tip can eat things up

mark18mwm

like the other guys said, a little labor intensive but it will work. Do you have any friends that are "professional" mechanics? If you do, they might be able to hook you up with someplace to steam clean it. I have yet to meet the greasy, oily mess a steam cleaner can't handle. You might even be able to rent one at a bigger rental center. One benefit of steam is it will get clean enough to paint from my experience. But if you never used a steam cleaner before be careful what they do to the mess, they will do the same to your skin and the wand and hose gets HOT. I would look for a steam cleaner myself, in fact I had to pull my motor out last fall and borrowed one, and in 1/2 hour I did what would have taken me all day with my pressure washer.

OP
OP

1816case

like the other guys said, a little labor intensive but it will work. Do you have any friends that are "professional" mechanics? If you do, they might be able to hook you up with someplace to steam clean it. I have yet to meet the greasy, oily mess a steam cleaner can't handle. You might even be able to rent one at a bigger rental center. One benefit of steam is it will get clean enough to paint from my experience. But if you never used a steam cleaner before be careful what they do to the mess, they will do the same to your skin and the wand and hose gets HOT. I would look for a steam cleaner myself, in fact I had to pull my motor out last fall and borrowed one, and in 1/2 hour I did what would have taken me all day with my pressure washer.
great imput here - thank you. So I'm either going to buy a 3000+ PW.. or check on renting a steam cleaner- or both. Power wash and then Steam clean. It is a mess for sure. I may have to winch it out of garage and into drive.. when warmer weather gets here. No motor in it and really needs cleaning where with motor out would be better access. Thinking some time in April- I don't need it right now anyway.

antfarmer2

great imput here - thank you. So I'm either going to buy a 3000+ PW.. or check on renting a steam cleaner- or both. Power wash and then Steam clean. It is a mess for sure. I may have to winch it out of garage and into drive.. when warmer weather gets here. No motor in it and really needs cleaning where with motor out would be better access. Thinking some time in April- I don't need it right now anyway.
After power washing I just brushed on some cheap rust killer and rattle caned the engine compartment and steel hoses worked great

lesgawlik

After power washing I just brushed on some cheap rust killer and rattle caned the engine compartment and steel hoses worked great
I would find someone who has a hot water pressure washer. Take the seat off by removing the four bolts on the side rails. That will five you access to the back of the instrument panel, the drive pumps and the control valves. One thing I just learned a few months ago about the 1816, after having the machine for years, is that there is a grease fitting at the base of the left control stick (as you sit in the seat). Failure to lube that will cause the co-axial shaft that is oriented across the beam of the machine and that "mixes" the tilt and lift functions to bind. Then weird things happen, like you go to tilt the bucket and the arms go up. Keep that greased. It is exposed to the elements, as it is a cutout in the instrument panel and has no real protection.

OP
OP

1816case

I would find someone who has a hot water pressure washer. Take the seat off by removing the four bolts on the side rails. That will five you access to the back of the instrument panel, the drive pumps and the control valves. One thing I just learned a few months ago about the 1816, after having the machine for years, is that there is a grease fitting at the base of the left control stick (as you sit in the seat). Failure to lube that will cause the co-axial shaft that is oriented across the beam of the machine and that "mixes" the tilt and lift functions to bind. Then weird things happen, like you go to tilt the bucket and the arms go up. Keep that greased. It is exposed to the elements, as it is a cutout in the instrument panel and has no real protection.
thanks for the info.. and suggestions.

Bobcatdan

thanks for the info.. and suggestions.
Steam cleaner is hard to beat. At home where I don't have one, I have good luck soaking it down with diesel from a sureshot. From there a garden hose with a good nozzel will clean very good for what it is. A good pressure washer is on my list, but so far the need has not justified the cost.

Tazza

Staff member
Steam cleaner is hard to beat. At home where I don't have one, I have good luck soaking it down with diesel from a sureshot. From there a garden hose with a good nozzel will clean very good for what it is. A good pressure washer is on my list, but so far the need has not justified the cost.
From the little use i have given a hot water cleaner, they work very well. My dad got hold of one, but the control board decided to die on it after only a few uses. I had plans of giving my skid steers a bath with it, but that will have to wait....

farmshop

From the little use i have given a hot water cleaner, they work very well. My dad got hold of one, but the control board decided to die on it after only a few uses. I had plans of giving my skid steers a bath with it, but that will have to wait....
hot water pressure washer is a nice tool to have. I wouldn't buy a cold water only one especially for cleaning greasy equipment.

hot water pressure washer is a nice tool to have. I wouldn't buy a cold water only one especially for cleaning greasy equipment.
we have a wet steam washer at work, runs at 7000 psi heats to just over 212 degrees with a rotary jet nozzle .... works fantastic, strips years of grease, dirt, .....paint..lol wouldn't use anything that mean on running equipment but its great for degreasing machines coming in for a rebuild. hot water makes a world of difference though, its the difference between degreasing and just moving grease around

Tazza

Staff member
we have a wet steam washer at work, runs at 7000 psi heats to just over 212 degrees with a rotary jet nozzle .... works fantastic, strips years of grease, dirt, .....paint..lol wouldn't use anything that mean on running equipment but its great for degreasing machines coming in for a rebuild. hot water makes a world of difference though, its the difference between degreasing and just moving grease around
That would be an awesome piece of gear, you would almost not need to sand blast it with that sort of pressure :)

That would be an awesome piece of gear, you would almost not need to sand blast it with that sort of pressure :)
oh yea shes pretty mean. you would be surprised how tough it can be to strip years of grease and die lube off cast iron though. you should see what it will do to a wooden pallet though..lol

Tazza

Staff member
oh yea shes pretty mean. you would be surprised how tough it can be to strip years of grease and die lube off cast iron though. you should see what it will do to a wooden pallet though..lol
With that pressure, i wouldn't be supprised if a pallet didn't last long. My pressure cleaner puts out a little over 1,000 PSI, it does as you said, it moves grease around.
I would have thought that the heat and pressure wouldn't have an issue blasting crud off cast iron, but i guess the texture of the cast can make it a little harder.

SkidRoe

With that pressure, i wouldn't be supprised if a pallet didn't last long. My pressure cleaner puts out a little over 1,000 PSI, it does as you said, it moves grease around.
I would have thought that the heat and pressure wouldn't have an issue blasting crud off cast iron, but i guess the texture of the cast can make it a little harder.
I use my 2400psi pressure washer connected to the hot water tap, which works well. I usually soak the patient with engine degreaser first, then hit it with the washer. Comes up squeaky clean. That 7000psi pressure cooker unit sounds scary! :) Cheers - SR

Tazza

Staff member
I use my 2400psi pressure washer connected to the hot water tap, which works well. I usually soak the patient with engine degreaser first, then hit it with the washer. Comes up squeaky clean. That 7000psi pressure cooker unit sounds scary! :) Cheers - SR
I actually toyed with the idea of hooking up an instant hot water heater to the inlet side of my pressure washer, essentially doing as you do, hooking it to the hot water tap. I was a little concerned it may kill the pump, but it was cheap and i have a spare pump so it's not the end of the world if it did.